Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Service 4wd light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/service-4wd-light-40766.html)

josh3008 04-15-2012 03:41 AM

Service 4wd light

4 Attachment(s)
Went out on the weekend to Port Hedland to see some family and test the jeep out on the sand.
Went out on the saturday afternoon and drove down 4 mile beach, the sand was very soft and the jeep started to crab walk down the beach to the water so we decided to reverse back across the beach and go back out the way we came. Got off the beach but when we got to the top it bogged down, Tried to work it backwards and forwards but eventually sat it on the belly. Had some mates come and pull us out but they pulled up in front of the jeep expecting to pull it forwards. Had to explain to them that it has no recovery hooks on the front and we had to go backwards, well... when the went to turn around they also got bogged so we had a land cruiser come and pull both of us out.

Today we went out to a different beach and was cuisine down the beach at about 20km/h when all of a sudden the service 4wd light flashed on and the jeep bogged down in 2wd. Had to let the tyres down to 10psi and get snatched back out onto firm sand where i reversed 200m back off the beach. Pumped there tyres back up and drove off, 200m down the road all the lights went back off and it was fine.

Ok, for the questions,
Does anyone know how to fix this problem when it happens and does anyone know the cause? When it happened another dsc light came on on the dash with th service 4wd light.

Mendo 04-15-2012 03:52 AM

Re: Service 4wd light

I'd be interested to know the answer too. If it happened whilst rocking forward and backward it would be a little more understandable (not forgivable) but cruising at 20kmh?? The sand looked very soft.

Josh were you using low range? Also what Psi were you running before you had to let them down?

Ps the patrol owner would be devastated to hear you calling it a land cruiser!!

outback 04-15-2012 04:33 AM

Have also had the same problem when is sport mode and the service 4wd light will come on . Turn off the engine and restart and its all fine , but for some reason only when in sport mode :mad:

Magoomba 04-15-2012 05:36 AM

mine happened in Sand/Mud mode .... i turned off the engine and re-started it and it was fine. It's only happened twice.

josh3008 04-15-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendo (Post 613135)
I'd be interested to know the answer too. If it happened whilst rocking forward and backward it would be a little more understandable (not forgivable) but cruising at 20kmh?? The sand looked very soft.

Josh were you using low range? Also what Psi were you running before you had to let them down?

Ps the patrol owner would be devastated to hear you calling it a land cruiser!!

I was in high range sand/mud with max height. i was running 32psi as i had to let them down when i bellied out the day before and didn't pump them back up all the way.
The sand was very soft, the Patrol was having trouble pulling the jeep out, it took a few tries before we moved very far.
The Patrol is my cousins, The day before when i bellied out it was cruiser that pulled me out, SHAME.
The funny thing was the first tried a yamaha grizzy 4x4 quad with a winch on the front, it had no chance and didn't budge the jeep but it was funny to watch

allypally 04-15-2012 05:48 AM

I would personally run tyres around 20psi in sand. I think 32psi is way too high.

josh3008 04-15-2012 05:59 AM

BTW- The service air suspension message came up as well. which lowered the car back to standard height which really helped my cause. Lol

josh3008 04-15-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 613147)
I would personally run tyres around 20psi in sand. I think 32psi is way too high.

Your right Allan, i normally run 18 in sand but we were following the tracks already made so it wasn't too bad and i only got 200m before it decided to become a 2wd jeep instead. After that i figured i would go to 10psi as i would only have 1 chance to get the car out as it got pretty boggy.

avalys 04-17-2012 03:08 AM

Take your car to the dealer and have them download the logs from the computer. The computer stores a huge number of parameters with each fault and, assuming the tech is knowledgeable, he should be able to tell you what caused the problem.

Gribbs 04-17-2012 03:54 AM

I have had two friends with this issue, one petrol Laredo and one limited diesel. I haven't had any issues with mine. The dealer told my mate it was a faulty $5 part and that jeep have had a heap of them come back. Up at stockton on the Easter weeke d I ALS towed out another limited crd with the same issue.

By the way, I was able to tow the limited about 400m over soft sand up hill to the beach exit...so that shows you how well they go when they are working properly.

I'm driving a crd Laredo

Gribbs 04-17-2012 03:59 AM

By the way there are recovery points on the front, and I have fund the best tyre pressure for soft sand to be 18psi

Milous 04-17-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh3008 (Post 613150)
BTW- The service air suspension message came up as well. which lowered the car back to standard height which really helped my cause. Lol

There is a TSB due to be released very soon that covers issues with getting the "service air suspension" message. I am not sure at this point if it covers export models or not. Should have the bulletin in less than 2 weeks.