Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2005-5-7-transmision-problems-only-1-2-a-40771.html)

Jarek5_7 04-15-2012 08:16 AM

2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2

Hi

I`m having tranny problems with my jeep. I bought the car in this condition and I`m figuring this out..well im trying..

the car start good, shifts to R, D good, smothly, on D from start there is no slippage no hessitation, good engage of 2 and when there supposed to be 3 it suddenly slips like it was on N.

there are two codes for tranny - P0869 line pressure high and P0932 line pressure sensor circuit.

I`ve replaced pressure sensor, no change after. does P0932 line pressure sensor circuit mean that not the sensor but some cirtuit is faulty? wheres` this circuit? in PCM?

Ive checked wires from line pressure sensor to pcm, not grounded and not open, also Ive checked a supply wire from pcm to solenoid pack, also good.

I took down pan and valve body, opened solenoid pack, 6 solenoids (coils) are good I think, I meassured their resistance and they all have 3.5 ohms, I dont have info if this value is correct but if all have the same 3.5ohms it might be ok. there is another coil , its horizontal and it was faulty, I took it apart, there was a wire not connected, looks like it burnt off around 2 cm after solder place, wire is like 0.2mm so its hard to figure out if it was burnt or broken. I solder it on and coil know shown around 5.1 ohms.

After I put valve body, pan etc. I start the car go on D, before I got to main road for test, tranny put 2 corectly, and I even didnt notice when instead of D, number 3 was on the dash, even when I slowed down almost stopping, 3 was still showing like the tranny was in limp mode.

I stopped and put in N, put in D and drove, 1 ok, 2ok, 3 no gear, it slipped like in N, so only 1 and 2 are good.

anyone have an idea where to look next?

there was no grey slime in tranny, fluid wasnt burnt, of course I replaced both filters and put new atf+4 fluid.
when I took valve body down, I noticed very little coat of rust on solenoid pack steel plate, I know that the car has been not used for a very long time.
there were very little rust on that plate but it was noticable, could it influence solenoid pack electronics?

I think it might me electrical, but what to replace?

solenoid pack? or maybe pcm?

I dont want to throw away $ so I havent decided which way to choose
buy solenoid pack?
pcm?
I can buy used tranny here for around 900$ but what it doesnt change a thing, and the problem lies for example in pcm?

sorry for the lentgh, I just wanted to put all information I have about this problem so maybe someone could help a little
regards

jeepgcoman 04-15-2012 10:41 AM

Re: 2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2

Welcome, Jarek5 7. Looks like you've been busy, and have a good knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and the electrical and mechanical ability to figure this out. First, what year and model are we talking about, and how many miles are on it? I am guessing by your screen name it is a 5.7 with the RFE545 transmission?? First, I am sure you know that the 545RFE is totally electronically controlled by the Transmission Control Module (TCM), which is an integral part of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). So, all wiring and communication goes directly to and from the tranny, shift control module, and the TCM. Also, because coil resistances are good, doesn't mean the valve(s) themselves are actually functioning (may be sticking), or the correct voltage is being applied to make them actuate properly. Most of the solenoids in the trans. are pulse width modulated, so proper connections are imparative. Sounds like you've verified most of them.

There are a lot more knowledgeable folks than I on this subject, as most of my AT experience is ancient compared to this new stuff. I'll just throw out a bunch of stuff and maybe someone can add to it and/or you can gleen some hints from them.

--I didn't see it your post whether there was any debris in the pan when you changed the fluid......just that it wasn't burned and there was no slime in it. Any debris?
--Have you cleared the codes, and do both of them return immediately, even after the repairs you've already done?
--Have you checked to see if there are any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) addressing your problem(s)? http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm
--Does the shift indicator on the instrument cluster show brackets around all the gear positions, or just the selected gear?
--Have you had the CALID flash files for the PCM/TCM updated to the latest for your vehicle? http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/c...ailability.pdf
--You may have already seen and checked these possibilities, but here are some for the P0869 code you are receiving:

-LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTION
-(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
-(T118) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
-(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
-(T118) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND -TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT
-LINE PRESSURE SENSOR
-STUCK OR STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE
-POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

--Is the Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) Solenoid the one that had the burnt wire? Highly suspect???
If so, this is the other one that deals with internal pressure.
--Both of these codes deal with high pressure. You may want to do (or have done by a knowledgeable tech.) an actual pressure check to verify that the pressure sensed (by a scan tool or the TCM) is the true pressure. THIS ONE WOULD BE ON THE TOP OF MY LIST.
--Adding to the last one, internal leakage, blown servo seal, etc. can tell the TCM it needs more pressure to compensate, thereby triggering codes.

All this being said, the most common problems reported on these forums are split filters, solenoid packs, and shift control modules. I would hate to see you keep throwing $$$ at it and not resolve the problem. Hope someone else that has suffered these problems will chime in and shed more light on this. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Jarek5_7 04-15-2012 11:31 AM

thank you for reply, jeep gc 2005 5.7 hemi with 545rfe, car has 26000 miles on it, it even has original tires.

- there were no debris in pan, magnet was clean
- my friend with profesional scanner cleared codes, immidiatly after it had both codes
P0869-LINE PRESSURE HIGH
P0932-LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT
and
P1790-FAULT IMMEDIATELY AFTER SHIFT
P0733-GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 3RD

I havent checked codes after recent repair (soldering wire in coil described in above post). only checked by key , it shown
P0700-TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM (MIL REQUEST)

yes, burnt wire was in Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) Solenoid. I think.
Its the side solenoid(on solenoid block), not the six vertically mounted solenoids.

Scrib99 04-16-2012 03:33 AM

I kinda has the same problem with my jeep except it was a slight slip from 3 to 4. When it thru itself in limp mode for 30 secs i took my to the dealership and had my solenoid pack replaced. Good so far but I have only put about 300 miles on it

Jarek5_7 04-16-2012 04:50 AM

do you know what codes it had stored?

Scrib99 04-16-2012 08:11 AM

P0876

Jarek5_7 04-16-2012 10:02 AM

I just drove the car and after put in D and after it goes or try to go to 3, indicator [D] changes to [3] and stays only in this state until engine is restarted.

it seems like it isnt 3 or its slipping. couldnt drive long enought to determine that because of rain and traffic etc.

jeepgcoman 04-28-2012 07:56 PM

Just got back from a trip....any updates on your problem?

Jarek5_7 05-28-2012 03:30 PM

hi, I finally replaced solenoid pack.

now the shifter indicates D when put on drive , instead of 3, but tranny still slipps when 3 should be engaged. I can slow down put it on 2 manually.

So I presume the 3 gear clutch is burnt.?

jeepgcoman 05-28-2012 09:54 PM

Have any of the codes changed since installing the new solenoid pack, or are they all still the same? If I might ask, how much did you have to pay for the pack? Don't know if you have access to the FSM, so anyway here's the scoop on the codes you reported:

P0733-GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 3RD

For a complete wiring diagram
Refer to Section 8W

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on, engine running, with the transmission in gear.

Set Condition:
If the ratio of the Input RPM to the Output RPM does not match the current gear ratio. This DTC can take up
to five minutes of problem identification before illuminating the MIL
Possible Causes
RELATED DTCS PRESENT
INPUT SPEED SENSOR OR WIRING
LOW FLUID LEVEL
CRACKED OR MIS-INSTALLED PRIMARY OIL FILTER OR SEAL
BENT OR BROKEN ACCUMULATOR COVER ON MAIN VALVE BODY
WORN SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE OR PLUGS
STUCK OR STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE
BURNED UD OR OD CLUTCH
CUT OD OR UD PISTON SEAL
BROKEN OR MISSING UD OR OD BLEED ORIFICE IN MAIN VALVE BODY
BROKEN OR MISSING BLEED ORIFICE IN UD OR OD CLUTCH PISTON
CUT OD OR UD ACCUMULATOR PISTON SEAL
CRACKED OD OR UD ACCUMULATOR PISTON
CUT OR MISSING #6 CHECK BALL
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
BROKEN WELD - REVERSE CARRIER HUB TO CARRIER
BROKEN REACTION SHAFT SUPPORT SEAL RING
POOR MACHINING ON PUMP VALVE BODY FACE
Always perform the 45RFE/545RFE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding. (Refer to
21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
Theory of Operation
The transmission system uses two speed sensors, one to measure input RPM and one to measure output RPM.
These inputs are essential for proper transmission operation. Therefore, the integrity of this data is verified through
the following checks:
1) Once in a particular gear, if the gear ratio varies from the correct gear ratio, the corresponding in-gear trouble
code is set (DTCs P0731-36).
2) An excessive change in input or output speeds indicating signal intermittent may result in the DTCs P0715 and/or
P0720 being set.
3) If the common speed sensor ground circuit is lost, both sensor inputs will read the pulses from the input speed
sensor when at a stop in neutral. Since the input speed sensor reads 60 teeth from the input clutch hub and the
output speed sensor reads 30 teeth from the park gear, the result is an apparent speed ratio of 1:2 and may cause

the DTC P1794 to set.

P1790-FAULT IMMEDIATELY AFTER SHIFT
For a complete wiring diagram

Refer to Section 8W

When Monitored:
After a speed ratio error is stored.

Set Condition:
This DTC is set if the associated speed ratio DTC is stored within 1.3 seconds after a shift.
Possible Causes
FAULT AFTER SHIFT
Always perform the 45RFE/545RFE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding. (Refer to
Theory of Operation
This DTC will only be stored along with a gear ratio DTC. If this DTC is set, it indicates a probable hydraulic (line
pressure) or mechanical problem exists. Diagnosing the transmission should be based on the associated speed
ratio DTC and mechanical causes should be considered first.
INTENDED GEAR CLUTCHES APPLYING RECOMENDED DTC
REVERSE UD** - MS P0738
1ST UD - LR* P0731
2ND UD - 2C P0732
2ND PRIME UD - 4C P1736
3RD UD - OD/MS P0733
4TH OD/MS - 2C P0734
5TH OD/MS - 2C P0735
* L/R is used only up to 150 output RPM in 1st gear. ** UD will show as applied in Reverse but the UD clutch is
actually released. OD/MS is OD and/or MS.
Diagnostic Test

INTENDED GEAR TO APPLIED CLUTCH
With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA to determine in which gear the slippage occurred and the clutches
that were applied.
With the DTC EVENT DATA, use the information provided above to determine the proper symptom for diagnosis.
View repair
Repair
Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom identified from the DTC
EVENT DATA, intended gear, and applied clutches.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/

TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

P0869-Line Pressure High

When Monitored:
Continuously while driving in a forward gear.

Set Condition:
The PCM continuously monitors Actual Line Pressure. If the Actual Line Pressure reading is greater than the
highest Desired Line Pressure ever used in the current gear, while the Pressure Control Solenoid duty cycle is
at or near its maximum value (which should result in minimum line pressure), the DTC will set.
Possible Causes
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTION
(T140) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
(T140) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT
LINE PRESSURE SENSOR
STUCK OR STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Always perform the 45RFE/545RFE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to
Theory of Operation
Line pressure is measured by the Line Pressure Sensor (LPS) and regulation is achieved by changing the duty
cycle of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) controlled by the Transmission Control System. (5% duty cycle =
solenoid off = max line pressure, 62% duty cycle = solenoid on = min line pressure). The Transmission Control
System calculates the desired line pressure based on inputs from both the engine and transmission.
The Transmission Control System calculates torque input to the transmission and uses it as the primary input to the
desired line pressure calculation. This is called Torque Based Line Pressure. In addition, the line pressure is set to
a preset level 827 or 931 kPa (120 or 135 psi) during shifts and in Park and Neutral to ensure consistent shift
quality. The desired line pressure is continuously being compared to the actual line pressure. If the actual line pressure
is consistently higher than the highest desired line pressure ever used in the current gear, the line pressure
high DTC P0869 will set.

Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR RELATED DTCS
With the scan tool, check for other Transmission DTCs.

P0932-Line Pressure Sensor Circuit

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on, engine running, with the transmission in gear.

Set Condition:
The PCM continuously monitors Actual Line Pressure and compares it to Desired Line Pressure. If the Actual
Line Pressure reading is more than 172.4 kPa (25 psi) higher than the Desired Line Pressure, but is less than
the highest Line Pressure ever used in the current gear, the DTC sets.
Possible Causes
RELATED DTC’S PRESENT
LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
Theory of Operation
Line pressure is electronically controlled by the Transmission Control System and is measured by the Line Pressure
Sensor (LPS). The desired line pressure is continuously being compared to the actual line pressure and is regulated
by electronically changing the duty cycle of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS). (5% duty cycle = solenoid off =
max line pressure, 62% duty cycle = solenoid on = min line pressure).
The Transmission Control System calculates the desired line pressure based on inputs from the transmission and
engine. A calculated torque input to the transmission is used as the primary input of the desired line pressure calculation
and is called Torque Based Line Pressure. In addition, the line pressure is set to a preset level 827 to 931
kPa (120 to 135 ) during shifts and in Park and Neutral to ensure consistent shift quality.
Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR RELATED DTCS
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTCs.
Are there any other line pressure related DTC’s present?
Yes

>> Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform the test for P0934
and/or P0935 first if present.
No

>> Go To 2

CONDITION P0932 PRESENT
CAUTION: Apply Parking Brake
Start the engine.
CAUTION: Firmly apply the brakes.
With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure, Desired Line Pressure and the TPS degrees.
While firmly applying the brakes, place the shifter in reverse, then slowly press the accelerator pedal to a TPS
degree of 15.
Compare the Line Pressure reading to the Desired Line Pressure reading on the scan tool.
Does the Line Pressure stay within 34 kPa or 5 of the Desired Line Pressure?
No

>> Go To 3
Yes >> Go To 5

CHECK LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure Sensor voltage while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors
pertaining to the Line Pressure Sensor and the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly.
Did the voltage remain steady while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors?
Yes

>> Go To 4
No

>> Disconnect and properly reconnect the Line Pressure Sensor connector. Inspect terminals and repair as
necessary.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/

CHECK PCM AND WIRING
Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Starter Relay.
CAUTION: Removal of the Starter Relay will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.
WARNING: The Starter Relay must be removed from the PDC. Failure to do so can result in personal injury
or death.
NOTE: Failure to remove the Starter Relay can cause a Transmission - No Response condition.
Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
With the Transmission Simulator select the

9OFF9 position on the 9Input/Output Speed9 switch.
With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure during the following step.
With the Transmission Simulator, turn the selector switch to each of the 3 Line Pressure positions.
NOTE: All three scan tool Line Pressure readings should be steady and 14 kPa or 2.0 of the reading specified
on the Transmission Simulator.
Does the Line Pressure on the scan tool fluctuate up and down more than 69 kPa or 10 at any of the 3
line pressure positions on the Transmission Simulator?
Yes

>> Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion,
damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems
are found, replace the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN.
No

>> Repair internal transmission and inspect the oil pump per the Service information and replace if necessary.
If no problems are found, replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly — possible cause is
the Pressure Control Solenoid is stuck.

CHECK WIRING AND CONNECTORS
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
Where there any problems found?
Yes

>> Repair as necessary.
No >> Test Complete.

Here's Scrib99's Code: P0876-UD Pressure Sensor Rationality

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on and engine running.

Set Condition:
This DTC is set if the UD pressure switch is in the wrong state for the current gear. For example, this code
would be set if the UD pressure switch remained off while the transmission was in second gear.
Possible Causes
RELATED RELAY DTC’S PRESENT
LOW FLUID LEVEL
NO. 2 CHECK BALL CUT OR DAMAGED
LOW LINE PRESSURE
CRACKED OR MIS-INSTALLED SUMP FILTER OR SEAL
STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE IN PUMP VALVE BODY
(T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
(T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
(T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUITS
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
Theory of Operation
The Transmission system uses five pressure switches to monitor the fluid pressure in the LR, 2C, 4C, UD, and OD
clutch circuits. The pressure switches are continuously monitored for the correct states in each gear as shown.
GEAR L/R 2C 4C UD OD
REVERSE

OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN
P/N

CLOSED** OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN
1ST

CLOSED* OPEN OPEN CLOSED OPEN
2ND

OPEN CLOSED OPEN CLOSED OPEN
2ND PRIME

OPEN OPEN CLOSED CLOSED OPEN
3RD

OPEN OPEN OPEN CLOSED CLOSED
4TH

OPEN OPEN CLOSED OPEN CLOSED
5TH

OPEN CLOSED OPEN OPEN CLOSED
*L/R is closed if output speed is below 100 rpm in Drive and Manual 2. L/R is closed in Manual 1.
**May be open when rolling in Neutral or at low oil temperatures.
Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR RELATED DTCS
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTC’s.
Are there any Transmission Control Relay, Line Pressure, and/or Loss of Prime DTCs present?
Yes

>> Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom. If a Loss of Prime DTC is
present, perform its respective test first.
No >> Go To 2

CHECK FOR PRESSURE SWITCH DTCS
Are there two or more other pressure switch rationality DTCs present in addition to P0876?
Yes

>> Go To 3
No

>> Go To 4

CHECK IF ALL PRESSURE SWITCHES READ CLOSED
With the scan tool, read and record all DTC EVENT DATA.
NOTE: Make sure to record all DTC EVENT DATA stored in the scan tool for future reference in this test
procedure.
Does the DTC EVENT DATA show all pressure switches reading CLOSED?
Yes

>> Refer to the symptom category and perform diagnostics for P0888. Diagnose the symptom as if the
DTC is current.
No

>> Go To 4

CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTC’s.
Is the DTC P2704 present also?
Yes

>> Replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly per the Service Information.
No

>> Go To 5

CHECK DTC EVENT DATA
With the scan tool, read and record the DTC EVENT DATA.
NOTE: Make sure to record all DTC EVENT DATA stored in the scan tool for future reference in this test
procedure.
Does the DTC EVENT DATA display information for the DTC P0876?
Yes

>> Go To 6
No

>> Refer to the symptom list and perform diagnostics for the DTC listed in the DTC EVENT DATA.

CHECK IF DTC EVENT DATA WAS SET IN PARK, NEUTRAL OR REVERSE
Refer to the DTC EVENT DATA recorded earlier.
Did the DTC P0876 set in Park, Neutral, or Reverse?
Yes

>> Go To 10
No

>> Go To 7

CHECK FOR UD PRESSURE SWITCH STATUS
Refer to the DTC EVENT DATA recorded earlier.
Did the DTC P0876 set with the UD Pressure Switch closed?
Yes

>> Go To 10
No >> Go To 8

CHECK LINE PRESSURE
In the DTC EVENT DATA recorded earlier, compare the Line Pressure and the Desired Line Pressure.
Is the Line Pressure less than 40 psi, and significantly below the Desired Line Pressure?
Yes

>> Repair as necessary to correct low line pressure. Check fluid level and adjust as necessary. If fluid level
is OK, check the Primary Oil Filter seal for a split, crack, or improperly installed. If the filter and seal are
OK, check the Main Regulator Valve in the Oil Pump. Refer to the Service Information for the above
procedures.
No

>> Go To 9

CHECK THE (T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
Disconnect all PCM harness connectors.
Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector.
Measure the resistance between the (T29) UD Pressure Switch Sense
circuit and all other circuits in the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly
harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms between the (T29) UD Pressure
Switch Sense circuit and any other circuit(s) in the Transmission
Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector?
Yes

>> Repair the (T29) UD Pressure Switch Sense circuit for a
short to another circuit(s).
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION
TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/
AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
No

>> Replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly per the Service Information.

CHECK THE PCM AND WIRING
Remove the Starter Relay.
CAUTION: Removal of the Starter Relay will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.
WARNING: The Starter Relay must be removed from the PDC. Failure to do so can result in personal injury
or death.
NOTE: Failure to remove the Starter Relay can cause a Transmission - No Response condition.
Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
With the Transmission Simulator, turn the Pressure Switch selector switch to the UD position.
With the scan tool, monitor the UD Pressure Switch state while pressing the Pressure Switch Test button on the
Transmission Simulator.
Did the state of the UD Pressure Switch change while pressing the Pressure Switch Test button?
Yes

>> Go To 14
No >> Go To 11

CHECK THE (T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Disconnect the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
Disconnect the PCM C4 harness connector and connect Miller tool
#8815.
CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the
PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting
in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform
diagnosis.
Measure the resistance of the (T29) UD Pressure Switch Sense circuit
from the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector and
the appropriate terminal of the special tool #8815.
Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?
Yes

>> Repair the (T29) UD Pressure Switch Sense circuit for an
open.
No

>> Go To 12

CHECK THE (T29) UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between ground and the (T29) UD Pressure
Switch Sense circuit.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
Yes

>> Repair the (T29) UD Pressure Switch Sense circuit for a
short to ground.
No >> Go To 13

Frango100 05-28-2012 10:29 PM

Also not an expert, but i had some issues with my 5-45RFE as well. I would not expect the 3rd gear clutch to be burnt. In fact for each gear 2 clutches are pressurized together (but you would loose the respective gear, when 1 of the 2 clutches releases or the pack is burnt). I had a P0733 and lost my 3rd gear. (at least the jeep did:D). The fluid was burnt and a lot of slush was on the bottom of the pan. A complete overhaul revealed the OD clutch material worn up until the metal disks.
Also a small crack was found in the seal plate in between the solenoid pack and valve body. Due to this crack, the control pressure went down and slippage occured, until no clutch material was left over. The OD clutch is used in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.
But in your case, with the fluid clean and no debris in the pan, i would not expect a burnt clutch.
That you had a burnt wire from the pressure control solenoid, could maybe point in the direction of your problem. If this wire was grounded after it broke, it could have caused a circuit malfunction in the PCM..
I also changed the solenoid pack and paid $ 295 for a new white connector pack with www.electricaladvantage.com. ( originally the WJ has a black connector solenoid pack with a little different hydraulic flow path, but the white connector is an updated version and interchangeable.

Jarek5_7 06-21-2012 06:12 AM

I just got my jeep from service, turned out OD clutches were burnt. tranny is now working nice.