Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Question about Sport Mode. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/question-about-sport-mode-40772.html)

ColinIllinois 04-15-2012 08:51 AM

Question about Sport Mode.

This is probably a dumb question but what the heck, it won't be the first time: When my JGC 5.7L is in "Sport Mode" does that have any effect whatsoever on gas mileage? Not that it much matters but I was just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

mot250 04-15-2012 09:01 AM

In my 3.6 v-6, I've noticed that part of the Sport Mode program seems to hold the transmission in 4th gear longer even after a constant speed has been reached. Delaying the shift to 5th gear (overdrive) should negatively affect MPG. I'm going to do some comparison testing between Sport and Auto modes and between Sport and manually shifting to OD.

JTS97Z28 04-15-2012 10:11 AM

Re: Question about Sport Mode.

This question has been asked several times here, but no one has really given a confirmed answer. Some people say it should improve fuel economy, and others say it will be slightly less in sport mode.
If there is a difference its minimal, but I personally like driving the car more in sport mode, but the delayed shift into 5th annoys me especially since that speed range between 45 and 50 is a very common speed that people cruise at. So unless you get it above 48mph the rpm's just hang until you either speed up a little, or shift it into 5th manually.
The perfect "mode" in my opinion if we were able to customize one would be sport mode charecteristics and ride height, with auto shift points and full ESC (so the stupid light doesnt stay on).

I think the best way to find out would be do a full tank of driving strictly in sport, then do another tank in nothing but auto. If your daily driving is pretty consistant such as your work commute, then maybe this method would show some somewhat accurate results.

James

ColdCase 04-15-2012 01:33 PM

Since the shift points are delayed to higher RPM and downshifts are sooner, sport mode decreases mpg during acceleration and deceleration for most of us. MPG is identical at constant speed/load. I have not noticed a measurable difference, however. The mpg that full time aero mode sport gives you is not going to buy enough mpg to counter effect the shift point changes.

Ashton 04-15-2012 01:46 PM

I have found that it does affect MPG if you are in the city with a lot of stopping and starting. Also helps here in Texas with 20 MPH school zones. I find that when I'm not in sport, the gearing right at 20 MPH is totally wrong and nets about 10 MPG where with sport on it holds the gear at that speed and I'm closer to 17 MPG. I pass through 4 of those on my way to work, and it makes a difference.

ckehl2 04-16-2012 08:59 AM

I tested this myself, drove a whole tank in sport mode, and a whole tank in Auto, both weeks were the same commute to work. Noted 1 mpg better in sport mode. Not a huge difference, but I like driving it better in sport anyway. :)

Jdsmitty10 04-16-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckehl2 (Post 613711)
I tested this myself, drove a whole tank in sport mode, and a whole tank in Auto, both weeks were the same commute to work. Noted 1 mpg better in sport mode. Not a huge difference, but I like driving it better in sport anyway. :)

Really? That's good to know. Sport mode for me from now on!

tallguy 04-17-2012 11:45 AM

From User Guide:

Sport Dry weather, on-road calibration. Only available in 4WD High
range. Performance-based tuning that provides a rear wheel drive feel
but with improved handling and acceleration over a two-wheel drive
vehicle. The Electronic Stability Control will set to allow more driver
control of the vehicle while maintaining safe handling controls. The
vehicle will lower (if equipped with Air Suspension) by 0.59 inches
(15 mm) in the SPORT mode.