Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   when the 8 speed comes out will you be able to upgrade to it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/when-the-8-speed-comes-out-will-you-be-able-to-upgrade-to-it-40773.html)

cattle bruiser 04-15-2012 09:21 AM

when the 8 speed comes out will you be able to upgrade to it?

So im going to be purchasing a '12 v6 laredo with the leather interior in the very near future (within the month). Hopefully either mineral grey or stone white. Anyways Idk when the 8 speed tranny is coming out i would really like it but i don't want to wait because my car now is so shitty. Would it be possible to upgrade to it when it comes out

andyh 04-15-2012 09:22 AM

Re: when the 8 speed comes out will you be able to upgrade to it?

Anything is possible with enough money.

jgc4ever 04-15-2012 09:27 AM

Sure, trade in your 2012 for a 2014.

RageOfFury 04-15-2012 09:45 AM

Only way to upgrade is to trade in your 2012 for a 2014 as jgc4ever pointed out.

JTS97Z28 04-15-2012 10:05 AM

If you want it that bad unfortunately your going to have to end up trading your 2012 in. Swapping stuff like that just isnt feasible and if it can even be done expect it to cost A LOT!!!! But on a better note, if you do end up trading, it sounds like 2014 is the year for a re-fresh so there will be a pretty good amount of other changes as well besides just the tranny. I recently bought my 2012 Overland V6 and if the 2014 has some sweet changes and the 8 speed is a huge improvement I would certainly consider upgrading myself. I would just get the same exact color and no one would even know I bought a new vehicle (unless the front and rear changes are significant) :-)

arvindm 04-15-2012 08:44 PM

Its gonna be a whole lot cheaper and lot more efficient to trade it in for the 2014 model. Moreover it will be a while before you can get a replacement ZF 8 transmission.

Sparro 04-16-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cattle bruiser (Post 613241)
So im going to be purchasing a '12 v6 laredo with the leather interior in the very near future (within the month). Hopefully either mineral grey or stone white. Anyways Idk when the 8 speed tranny is coming out i would really like it but i don't want to wait because my car now is so shitty. Would it be possible to upgrade to it when it comes out

Could he possibly mean through a re-program? Kinda the way the 5-Speed in the V8 was re-programmed to a 6-Speed?

rubicontrail.net 04-16-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparro (Post 614152)
Could he possibly mean through a re-program? Kinda the way the 5-Speed in the V8 was re-programmed to a 6-Speed?

If so, the answer is no. The 5 to 6 reprogram was possible because the transmission always had 6 ratios, but only 5 were used in succession. The 8 is an all new transmission.