Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/advice-40797.html)

SouthBayLA24WJ 04-15-2012 09:30 PM

Advice

Ive been a Jeep fan for a long time and have a WJ( CAI,flowmaster, interior LEDs, HIDs 8K, premium sound system, Hood cover,speed grip) and a 09 Wk.
Ever since I've been on this forum everyone seems to have a limited or overland. I can only afford the Wk2 I bought today which is metallic gray Laredo e with security package. My question is, is it worth it? I love it so far. Sucks it doesn't have leather and wood trim on steering wheel and nav but other than that she's gorgeous. Did I make a good investment? The pentastar feels amazing.the cloth seats are comfy

akimball 04-15-2012 09:35 PM

Re: Advice

if you like it and its what you can afford, then its worth it! congrats.
i wish i could have bought a new cherokee but i had to buy used, its what i could afford so it is what it is.

rustyosaurus 04-15-2012 10:00 PM

you can always get leather on your seats aftermarket with katzkin. some say its even better than the factory leather. as far at the wood steering wheel - i wouldn't worry too much about that. i like it but lots of people don't. everyone always assumes the wood trim is plastic/fake even though on the overland it's not.

and as far as the nav - you can put in an aftermarket deck with gps/nav as well if you want. others have done this. most people have a love/hate relationship with the nav on the JGC. it's sort of old and outdated looking.

don't give it a second though. you got the jeep that you can afford. this is much better than buying a jeep you can't afford.

enjoy it.

Jcronin 04-15-2012 10:08 PM

I got the 12 wk2 laredo and I love it I dont like to have alot of extra stuff alot of times cause I want to make it my own. And the biggest thing is if you like thats all that matters your the one paying for it not someone else. So do like what im sure everybody else does and enjoy that new wk2

REALM 04-15-2012 10:45 PM

Basic Laredo E here with just QT1 4x4. Added tow hooks, skid plates, and bigger tires a year after I got it. Sunroof probably next.

jgc4ever 04-15-2012 11:38 PM

Congrats! Gotta love having a new Grand Cherokee.

JRNYC 04-15-2012 11:44 PM

I have just the opposite. I have an Overland Summit and I wish I went with a more base model.

They extras are all nice but it wears off after a short while. You made a great choice. Ride the vehicle and mod it yourself with the $ you saved. NEw alarm system, stereo system, new rims, katzkins seat covers if you want leather, and then show us the pictures next to a pile of cash and we will all be jealous of you!

Gus9890 04-15-2012 11:49 PM

You can always mod it to how you want it to be

AAAA 04-16-2012 06:19 AM

Don't worry about it. At least you have a WK2 and all of the important stuff is there. Enjoy it. You don't think you see much comment on here from Laredo owners, but many are. Also much of the discussion are complaints about the QL and you don't have it or need it.

JTS97Z28 04-16-2012 07:55 AM

I love the OEM Nav in my new overland. It does everything! Maybe the older WK2 units were finicky I dunno, but the RHR in my 2012 works great, and looks 20 times better than any aftermarket unit. I say buy yourself a factory nav I think you would love it! Congrats on the purchase.

James

rangersgiants 04-16-2012 08:03 AM

Yes. A new WK2 Laredo is far superior to my 04 Overland. And when you have the means you could always upgrade your seats.

padgett 04-16-2012 09:51 AM

I have a base Laredo "E" 2WD with UConnect, inexcapable "E" group, and towing package only. Like it better everyday. Was not really a matter of price but what I liked/wanted (do not care for plastic wood inside or chrome outside - may get an Altitude grille).

Is not my only car (well, truck per 523.5) but is ideal for its purpose (have always had a van or station wagon) and much superior to the vehicle it replaces. Am getting 24+ mpg on the road and just recorded a string of 7.2 second 0-60s. Win-Win.

Not disagreeing with people who want more and use for driving up cliffs, just not my need. Appreciate 4 valve DOHC with FI & VVT more than cid (first car was a DOHC 3.4 liter six with 250 hp, things have improved a bit since then)

Generally takes me about a year to get things the way I like (working mods to use a 44mm Stant SuperStat in 180F & bring cooling fan in sooner, digital dash with many more parameters & back up camera, 7-10" touchscream/radio/Sirius/CD/Bluetooth/etc for center console, reducing the IAT by 20-40F, just things that can be done today (most I have already on my 88 DD).

Have had GM cars most of my life, is anything more fanatical than a convert ? Now just need to obtain the service/wiring manual Jeep does not want to sell & will achieve HH.

Am undecided about the seats, cloth is generally cooler in the 100 days of summer when it is 95/95 out, added side rail so can swing rather than slide in.