Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Replace '06 3.7 Laredo with '05 4.7 Limited? all opinions welcome (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/replace-06-3-7-laredo-with-05-4-7-limited-all-opinions-welcome-40801.html)

Mr Chill 04-15-2012 10:57 PM

Replace '06 3.7 Laredo with '05 4.7 Limited? all opinions welcome

Here are my pros and cons, feel free to add your 2 or 3 cents.

My 2006 3.7 Laredo 4x4, 124,750mi:
PROS
- Owned it awhile, I know maintenance and repair history/status.
- Some personalization i.e. Stereo upgrades, remote start and tint
- Bilsteins HD's with less than 5k
- Decent fuel use. Average 17.5mpg
- Smooth shifting trans and simple AWD system

CONS
- Underpowered. It's enough but it's not really enough...
- Very few options (No roof, no towing pkg, stain-prone cloth)
- Not our favorite color or wheels (see sig)

Upgrade 2005 4.7 Limited 4x4, 121,400mi:
PROS
- Local 1 owner, dealer serviced
- Better color/option pkg. Inferno Crystal/Chrome/Leather/Roof/Towing
- V8 Power (I know, it ain't a Hemi...)

CONS
- It's an older "new-to-us" vehicle, non-typical upgrade for most
- What kind of hit in mpg?
- Any known problems with the 4.7/545RFE/QTII combination?

Let me just say that mpg isn't a big concern, I just want to know what to expect. We really like the '06 as our daily driver and only vehicle. Power, leather and a new color make the '05 an attractive option, but I know little about the downsides to the V8 Jeeps.

I'll report back after going to see it in the morning. Let's hear it people...

2005JGC 04-15-2012 11:56 PM

Re: Replace '06 3.7 Laredo with '05 4.7 Limited? all opinions welcome

I have had mine 1.5 years now (a 4.7l laredo) its got 190k miles and here is what has been done.

-Head gaskets (i bought it with bad head gaskets for an AMAZING deal)

-replaced front differential bushings

-Rear differential overhaul, I have some noise from the front but its just gear tooth contact, hardly worried about it especially not enough to tear it down.

-Full service, both differentials have been serviced 2 times since I have owned it (165k), trans service with both filters when I had it torn down for the head gaskets, sparkplugs, 2nd air filter, multiple oil changes, transfercase service x2.

-replaced leaking trans cooler lines

-replaced bent upper radiator hose clamp that was causing a leak

-replaced ebrake shoes due to seeing the lining separating from the backing plate while overhauling my rear end

-replaced failing oil pressure sender for intermittent oil pressure light on start up.

With 190k miles the trans still shifts great, the motor has some piston slap that is a pretty good clatter when its cold, when warm it is silent other than a beautiful V8 rumble... but again, for the price I paid she purrs like a kitten otherwise and does EVERYTHING I ask of it. When I have had it off road I beat the living crap out of it.

I love the V8, ultimately right now with my bigger tires I am in approx the 14.5mpg range and i typically stayed about 1mpg better than that before the lift and tires. I do about 50/50 city highway maybe a little more highway but I also am a bit addicted to the skinny pedal, not because its a race truck or anything but OREGONIANS CANNOT DRIVE and its far to common the need to get around some oblivious a-hole.

If you drive it make sure to look at the trans cooler lines for leakage, also pay attention when shifting out of drive or reverse, put it into neutral and pay attention to a thunk in the front end indicating worn diff bushings... hemi's blow em out at 60k and in the 4.7 they last longer and in the 3.7, the gerbils don't have enough power to break rubber bushings.

The 4.7 motor is a decent motor, I have no qualms, I see people into the 3.7 and 4.7 WAY more than I do a hemi (hell I have 2 4.7l wj's at work one getting a motor and 1 getting head gaskets), the last hemi I remember seeing apart was for a picky (but cool) customer who had a service contract that didnt like the hemi tick (that naturally came back before he needed his next oil change.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-16-2012 12:25 AM

I personally would not do that deal unless it was an even swap. I would keep looking

Mr Chill 04-16-2012 09:51 PM

UPDATE

Well I didn't need much convincing... The '05 is in the driveway.

This one has everything we want for features, the condition is really hard to argue with and there's no real financial hit aside from a tag transfer, slightly higher insurance and whatever the fuel ends up being. I can live with that in return for more civilized automotive traits like butt warmers in winter, a sunroof in summer, torque to get it rolling and having the ability to tow.

I swapped out cargo floor panels to make the subwoofer re-install easy (see my JL Audio Microsub thread). I just need to research how to get an aftermarket deck to play through the factory Boston amplifier and all will be well.

2005JGC 04-17-2012 12:18 AM

Congrats... I LOVE my boring laredo, I do agree the butt warmers are awesome and the sunroof is nice on warm days!

Mr Chill 04-17-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 614187)
Congrats... I LOVE my boring laredo, I do agree the butt warmers are awesome and the sunroof is nice on warm days!

Thank you for the input. The trans cooler lines were replaced at ~90k and looked dry, but I did notice a clunk up front when shifting from reverse to neutral, also upon 4Lo engagement. I only buy older vehicles, so I expect to take on these kinds of wear-n-tear repairs. I did control arm bushings and shocks on the last one, and was preparing to purchase tires. Since this one has new tires I'll use that money to fix it's flaws.

My big concern going into a V8 was potentially having Chrysler transmission problems. After driving it, i'm not really worried. There's a more noticeable torque converter lock/unlock on the 545RFE, but it also has much more relaxed gearing and it actually coasts when you let off the throttle. The NAG1 was always engine braking, requiring throttle input to keep from slowing down. And while I loved its smooth operation, it really wasn't designed to tow anything.

Galaxie500 04-19-2012 03:15 PM

I'm averaging 17 mpg with 50/50 City/Hwy. In town it will drop to 10 mpg, if you have a heavy foot, but on the Hwy I have seen 23 mpg. After a hard day at work that butt warmer comes in handy for the hour+ drive home.

1_\/\_WK 04-29-2012 03:40 PM

I like my 05 4.7L. It has 88k on it. I had ball joints go out about a month ago, and have a severe passenger floor board leak. Other than that its been good to me. I have pulled horse trailers and flatbed trailers in the mountains. Pulled decent considering the terrain. I think the miles are to high on the one your considering. Keep looking. Or buy mine! lol

clarkp 05-19-2012 04:16 AM

post #5

dmsfun 05-20-2012 10:42 AM

From the clunking noise when shifting, could be the front diff bushing (s) gone south, which is common on the WK. Mine went bad at 35K. If you had an indpendant mechanic go through it before buying, you could have made the seller fix it or negotiated the price down. It is not easy or cheap to replace, due to the labor involved, and it will cause much more costly problems if you don't get if fixed quickly.