Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   EVIC Tire pressure BAR to PSI change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/evic-tire-pressure-bar-to-psi-change-40813.html)

mm1964 04-16-2012 07:44 AM

EVIC Tire pressure BAR to PSI change

Maybe this is a stupid question but how do you have the tire monitoring display in PSI rather than BAR measurements. The user manual says "the system can be set to display pressure units in PSI, kPa or BAR".

But all I get it in is BAR. I spent ages trying to change it and it seems the only way of having it change from BAR to PSI is to change the EVIC Units option from Metric to English but then everything changes from metric. That is, temperature, speedo, mileage, etc....

I can not see anywhere that enables just the selection of the tire pressure units and no way of selecting kPa.

pcfg69 04-16-2012 06:30 PM

Re: EVIC Tire pressure BAR to PSI change

you need to go right to the bottom and change metric to english
but that changes speedo to miles aswell

ENFORCER 04-16-2012 09:20 PM

yeah it is a dumb design where we have speed in KM/h and pressure in PSI, but cannot have both at the same time. My sales guy pointed this out when I was looking at the car.
Not really a big deal as long as all the numbers are the same on each wheel.

mm1964 04-16-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 614099)
Not really a big deal...

I agree, definitely not a big deal, just find it odd as the user manual describes it being able to show the measurements in PSI, kPa or BAR yet we only have the option of PSI or BAR and that choice is based on the UNITS option - which can only be changed if the trans is in Park.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 614099)
...as long as all the numbers are the same on each wheel.

That's why I wanted the PSI measurement, as I had different BAR values showing and wanted a more precise PSI value to determine what the difference actually was (without use of a calc or having to go to a service station when tires are cool).

AussieWK2 04-18-2012 08:49 AM

One day the penny will drop with our Yank cousins that when they build cars for the international market, it's always a good idea to research local protocols.

Oh well, the WK2 is an impressive piece of machinery so I guess we can give them a break!

Many years ago they converted to the metric system but there was such a huge voter backlash that they reverted to imperial.

The strange thing here is we're a metric country, PSI is an imperial measurement. Not sure what BAR but I have 3.1 in each tyre. Wouldn't it be strange if BAR was a metric term?

Cherodude 04-18-2012 12:59 PM

BAR is a metric term. 1 BAR = 100 kilopascals, which is not usually used in SI systems. But it is convenient, since it is within 1% of normal atmospheric pressure at sea level (14.7 psi).

allypally 04-18-2012 05:30 PM

I think the problem with using BAR is that it is such a low number, people want to see a number which has greater definition. For example, it is easy to see the variation between 30psi and 36psi whereas the same in BAR is 2.0bar and 2.4bar, i.e. 0.4bar

ENFORCER 04-18-2012 11:10 PM

mine sit on 2.9 all round all day.
Once you get used to it, there is no problem.

mm1964 04-19-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 615476)
mine sit on 2.9 all round all day.
Once you get used to it, there is no problem.

Wow seems like our pre delivery never bothered checking tyre as 3 of mine cold are at 2.4 and 1 is at 2.3 - So they are running at 2-3psi less than the recommend minimum.

Swampy 04-19-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 615285)
I think the problem with using BAR is that it is such a low number, people want to see a number which has greater definition. For example, it is easy to see the variation between 30psi and 36psi whereas the same in BAR is 2.0bar and 2.4bar, i.e. 0.4bar

Technically speaking, the metric display number would be best to use KPA as the unit of measure, ie 36PSI = 250Kpa. However 2.5 Bar is not difficult to get used to.

AussieWK2 04-19-2012 01:51 AM

I'm all for the BAR term given it's metric, it's just another weeding out of the imperial system from PSI. Just need the service stations to catch up!

When my car was delivered I had 3.2 in 3 tyres and 2.1 in the rear left.

Interestingly though, I've always set to 32-33 PSI. I know the placard suggests 36 PSI but I find that just too hard with the 20" rims.

Now with 32/33 PSI this shows 3.1 BAR on EVIC but.......I'm now looking at an online PSI/BAR conversion and according to it, 33 PSI converts to 2.28 BAR.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Mendo 04-19-2012 03:16 AM

No ide. I guess psi still makes sense as the majority of tyre a d wheel measurements still use the imperial system.