Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   OEM air box tunnel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/oem-air-box-tunnel-40826.html)

WKX2 04-16-2012 03:22 PM

OEM air box tunnel?
 
Im installing my Injen CAI this week, and looking at the OEM air box with the tunnel that runs towards the grill. Is anyone keeping this part intact, taking advantage of the airflow it provides to your new CAI?

Im thinking about keeping it in place after my CAI installation, possibly opening it up (there's a detachable flange) to allow straight thru airflow to the CAI. Only concern is potential hydrolock, so Im also researching a way to add a filter to it as well.

Any ideas?

Yadkin 04-16-2012 03:57 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
The OEM box runs towards the grill, but the path is blocked by a rubber gasket attached to the hood. Apparently air comes from the cowl area, over the driver's front inner fender and then to the air box.This is apparently to keep it dry during rain or fording streams.

WKX2 04-16-2012 05:43 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 613919)
The OEM box runs towards the grill, but the path is blocked by a rubber gasket attached to the hood. Apparently air comes from the cowl area, over the driver's front inner fender and then to the air box.This is apparently to keep it dry during rain or fording streams.

yes, that all makes sense. would be kool to be able to have directed air flow though (without introducing water of course)

Yadkin 04-16-2012 06:28 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WKX2 (Post 613954)
yes, that all makes sense. would be kool to be able to have directed air flow though (without introducing water of course)

What would be cool is a little gate that automatically opens up at highway speeds when it's not raining, to let in ram air from in front of the hood. For practical purposes though, the cowl area is typically a high pressure zone at speed, so it probably wouldn't make all that much difference.

BostonBrawler 04-16-2012 08:33 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
i have the injen cai, i took that tunnel out when i installed it, dont think you have to worry about rain that much most of the cone is tucked behind the headlight

antsjeep 04-16-2012 09:11 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
i kept mine in inorder to block water from geting directly into my K&N filter. Taking that part out is just asking for trouble.

Lucas J 04-18-2012 06:42 AM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
^ BS. I took mine out when i got AFE CAI and I wheel mine through mud and deep water. I have never had a problem.

WKX2 04-21-2012 11:30 AM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 613975)
What would be cool is a little gate that automatically opens up at highway speeds when it's not raining, to let in ram air from in front of the hood.

that would be great! On a lesser technical scale, what about building a ram air that would come in through the lower radiator vent below the bumper and extend it up behind the headlight to the filter location. It would be steep enough to stop most of the moisture from rain etc but still provide a direct means of channeling more outside air towards the CAI.

Im going to experiment with a plenum and a dryer vent hose to see what happens performance wise.

Yadkin 04-21-2012 06:42 PM

Re: OEM air box tunnel?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WKX2 (Post 616851)
that would be great! On a lesser technical scale, what about building a ram air that would come in through the lower radiator vent below the bumper and extend it up behind the headlight to the filter location. It would be steep enough to stop most of the moisture from rain etc but still provide a direct means of channeling more outside air towards the CAI.

Im going to experiment with a plenum and a dryer vent hose to see what happens performance wise.

In stock form the WK2 fan ford a 20" deep creek. Part of that is taking the air from high up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community