Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Partial De-Chrome (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/partial-de-chrome-40832.html)

rustyosaurus 04-16-2012 05:36 PM

Partial De-Chrome

Well, I've de-chromed some of my Overland. I took off the chrome trim strips and replaced them with the GC lettering. I also swapped out the chrome mirror caps with some body colored ones, had Scott paint the rear brow and swapped out the step pad trim. I'm not sure how I feel about the black step pad trim, although I like that it's not as flashy as the chrome one. Maybe I'll switch back at some point.

Still undecided on swapping out the door handles. Perhaps in the future.

I had the body shop at the dealer do this work for me because I took it in today for an oil change and a creaking noise I had been having for the past 1000 miles. Amazingly enough, the noise mysteriously disappeared and no one, including me, can hear it any longer. They did not fix anything on the car.

I know the service area does not wash the cars after the oil change but I didn't know that the body shop would. Get my car back and the first thing I notice is that it has been washed. I'm instantly annoyed because I've only hand washed it thus far and don't want anyone swirling up my paint. Then I get in the car and immediately see that they have "detailed" the interior as well. With something like Armor All. The dash and doors are now all shiney and greasy looking. Here's the worst part, my previously until today still awesome-new-leather-smelling jeep now smells like some kind of fake new car spray. My Jeep feels defiled now.

I like the mods though. Thoughts?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4982/img0259pi.jpg

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/8500/img0257y.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8647/img0258wo.jpg

Megatron 04-16-2012 05:51 PM

Re: Partial De-Chrome

I like all the painted parts.

rustyosaurus 04-16-2012 06:04 PM

thanks! i didn't get the mirror covers painted. they are laredo covers that i purchased.

jgc4ever 04-16-2012 06:45 PM

I was looking forward to seeing your Jeep with these improvements! :thumbsup:

Brewster 04-16-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus (Post 613965)
thanks! i didn't get the mirror covers painted. they are laredo covers that i purchased.

Did you buy them from a individual or from the dealer? I thought someone said in another thread you couldn't just buy the covers?

If so, do you know the numbers, I want a set and get rid of my chrome ones.

The back piece looks awesome.

I've had a issue with the dealer getting my extended warranty and maintenance right, they offered me a free detail for my trouble.....pass!

jgc4ever 04-16-2012 06:53 PM

I can't decide if I like the chrome on the sides, the Grand Cherokee lettering or no chrome and no lettering. I guess I like them all about equally, maybe the chrome with a slight edge so I'll leave that for now. I'm definitely getting the liftgate bar in brilliant black and the mirrors, just waiting for the Altitude liftgate bar part to be available. I was just thinking about this today. :D

jgc4ever 04-16-2012 06:56 PM

I know it would be expensive, but I would almost consider getting the SRT mirrors if I knew the yellow triangle blind spot monitors would work (as I don't have that on my Overland).

I'll probably just go from dealer to dealer until I find one that is willing to put new Chrome Mirror covers on a Laredo and sell me the Laredo covers that they'll be replacing; I'll just start my negotiations at $100 and see if they'll do it for $100 or $150 or even $200.

rustyosaurus 04-16-2012 06:57 PM

I bought the entire laredo powered mirror and just used the mirror caps. No clue what I should do now with the rest of the powered mirror. I don't know what the part numbers are but you can get them either here or here. I got them from the second place and they ended up being more than was listed on the site - about $300 or so for both covers. Maybe they would be cheaper at the first link.

jgc4ever 04-16-2012 06:59 PM

You could put your chrome covers on them and sell them on this forum or on ebay. Or just throw them in a box, lol.

rustyosaurus 04-16-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 613994)
I can't decide if I like the chrome on the sides, the Grand Cherokee lettering or no chrome and no lettering. I guess I like them all about equally, maybe the chrome with a slight edge so I'll leave that for now. I'm definitely getting the liftgate bar in brilliant black and the mirrors, just waiting for the Altitude liftgate bar part to be available. I was just thinking about this today. :D

i kind of feel the same way. there are days when i like the chrome strips but mostly i like them off. i took the strips off and then waited over a week to put the letters on. i think i like the letters best because it adds just a little something that the plain body colored door doesn't. i can always add back the strips later if i want.

rustyosaurus 04-16-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 613999)
You could put your chrome covers on them and sell them on this forum or on ebay. Or just throw them in a box, lol.

actually the chrome covers are back on the laredo mirrors. the body shop did this for me without asking. i really don't want to take them off so i'll probably just keep them in the box for whenever i trade in my jeep in the future.

jgc4ever 04-16-2012 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=rustyosaurus;614001]i kind of feel the same way. there are days when i like the chrome strips but mostly i like them off. i took the strips off and then waited over a week to put the letters on. i think i like the letters best because it adds just a little something that the plain body colored door doesn't. i can always add back the strips later if i want.[/QUOTE]

You likely won't want to. Good job that you removed those without damaging them. They cost $300.