Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Rock Mode Suspension Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/rock-mode-suspension-noise-40835.html)

HammFist 04-16-2012 06:34 PM

Rock Mode Suspension Noise

So I finally took my Jeep out on a rocky jeep trail. There were a lot of rocks in the trail that stuck up high enough that I felt I needed to use rock mode (4 low, OR2) to traverse them without breaking something. The truck did wonderfully, climbing everything without a problem, but the suspension noise (very loud clunks) was horrible. I assume that the noise is the suspension hitting the extension stops, but was curious if anyone knew how to quiet this problem yet (or if everyone even has the problem in this mode).

This was also the first time I've used the hill descent control, and it works really well. I was descending a rocky 7-10% grade for several miles, and this feature made it very easy to control without using the brakes much.

Alaska-HWY JK 04-16-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Rock Mode Suspension Noise

We found it loud and rough also in low and and rock mode. I think its the nature of anything with air bags. Once it was lowered to OR1 it was way quieter on the rough road. It works well though, we did Broken Arrow (not the stairs) and Soldiers Pass in Sedona with no problems.

avalys 04-17-2012 02:28 AM

Yes, mine does that. I would not characterize it so much as "clunking" as "banging".

It freaked me out the first time I took it up a trail. I thought I was hitting the bodywork on rocks or something.

Now, even in Rock mode, I manually lower it to OR1 and only run in OR2 for brief periods.

Lowering the tire pressure helps a bit.

EDIT: Oh hey, you're in Colorado Springs too! What trail did you take it on?

HammFist 04-17-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avalys (Post 614204)
EDIT: Oh hey, you're in Colorado Springs too! What trail did you take it on?

It is a no-name trail that climbs up to the rim of the Gunnison Gorge southeast of Delta, CO. You use Peach Valley Road to get there, and it is in the Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area. We were out there visiting my son and his family last week.

So the suspension noise in OR2 if you are really climbing rocks seems to be a feature, not a bug. OK.

Alaska-HWY JK 04-17-2012 09:54 AM

I forgot to mention we had 35 psi in the tires so it didn't help. When doing any offroading in our JK with 37s we run 10 - 12 psi and its smoother and quieter. I'm a bit concerned about airing down the stock tires even though we had a good Viair portable compressor with us. We won't get serious offroad with the GC anyway but the potential is there.

kc92886 05-02-2012 02:40 PM

Never had that noise pop up when in 4 LOW and Rock Mode. I don't have Quadra Lift though

Yadkin 05-02-2012 03:38 PM

With the air springs inflated to 3.5" above normal ride height I suspect that there isn't a lot of travel left. The clunking that you hear is probably the suspension "topping" out.