Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   AC Always on? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ac-always-on-40843.html)

ajs800 04-16-2012 09:21 PM

AC Always on?

I have noticed lately that even though the AC is not turned on (light is off), it seems as though the AC is still running and cools down the interior when turning the temp down. Is there a known issue with this?

avalys 04-17-2012 03:05 AM

Re: AC Always on?

As far as I can tell, if you have the controls in "Auto" mode, it will turn the AC on as required without illuminating the light in the button.

If you switch it to manual mode, the light/button functions normally.

ajs800 04-17-2012 09:11 PM

The "auto" function is always off. the other day when it was 80 outside, I set it to 65 because I had the windows down and it seemed to blow cold AC air rather then the regular "vent" air.

Jdsmitty10 04-18-2012 07:25 AM

The other day, my wife had her side to the max temp while I was trying to cool down to about 68 degrees...nothing seemed to be working...it was set on auto..was the temperature difference the reason it didn't seem to be working? We are complete opposites when it comes to temperature in cars hahah...

to the OP, did you have it on defrost maybe? I know in my other vehicles if defrost is on it uses AC...

Yadkin 04-18-2012 08:12 AM

In most automotive systems the AC is used even in cooler conditions to dehumidify the air before it is then heated. This keeps the windows from fogging up.

ajs800 04-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 614932)
In most automotive systems the AC is used even in cooler conditions to dehumidify the air before it is then heated. This keeps the windows from fogging up.

even when the AC and auto functions are not turned on? With my previous vehicles...tahoe, Acura TL, infiniti G35, I would keep the AC turned off and set the dual climates to "low" or 65 when driving with windows/roof open and it would always circulate regular outside air. With the WK2, it seems to circulate cold AC air. For example when I turn on the AC button during this, the air does not change...it stays the same because it is already blowing cold AC air.

BuckeyeSRT 04-18-2012 09:47 AM

I noticed the same thing the other day. Not on auto and very cold air coming out of the vents and the AC light was off.

ajs800 04-18-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 614996)
I noticed the same thing the other day. Not on auto and very cold air coming out of the vents and the AC light was off.

exactly...I'm going to pop the hood next time and see if I can determine whether or not the compressor is running or not.

Yadkin 04-18-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 614995)
even when the AC and auto functions are not turned on? With my previous vehicles...tahoe, Acura TL, infiniti G35, I would keep the AC turned off and set the dual climates to "low" or 65 when driving with windows/roof open and it would always circulate regular outside air. With the WK2, it seems to circulate cold AC air. For example when I turn on the AC button during this, the air does not change...it stays the same because it is already blowing cold AC air.

You'll have to get out your "brick" (that ridiculously thick owner's manual) to find out what the correct operational sequence is. I remember reading the OM of another car that I owned, an 02 Ford Exploder, and it decribed a fairly sophisticated algorithm where, depending on temperature and humidity, the AC was used to dry incoming air before it was heated, and that function occurs regardless of you turning the AC on and doesn't turn on the indicator light.

Andrew Klossner 04-18-2012 02:28 PM

It's right here in the owner's manual:

"If the system is in Mix, Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain active to prevent fogging of the windows."

The modes are Panel, Bi-level, Floor, Mix, and Defrost. If you don't want A/C, select Panel (the icon shows an arrow pointing to the driver's head.)

ajs800 04-18-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 615182)
It's right here in the owner's manual:

"If the system is in Mix, Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain active to prevent fogging of the windows."

The modes are Panel, Bi-level, Floor, Mix, and Defrost. If you don't want A/C, select Panel (the icon shows an arrow pointing to the driver's head.)

Nope, it doesn't matter if it's bi-level, floor, mix, etc. the A/C seems to always kick in...Today on the way home for work it was 72 outside, so I set it to "low" first and it did nothing but blow very cold air. I then set it to 72 and it continued to blow very cold air and this is with set on the panel setting. When I got home I popped the hood and sure enough, the a/c compressor was consistently cycling on and off. I also used a thermometer and the air coming out of the vents did not vary between AC "on" and "off". Bottom line is the A/C is always running regardless of setting.

Another thing to add to the list when I take it to dealer.

MikeBoom 04-18-2012 05:20 PM

So, I'm not completely nuts. I had experienced the same thing and just figured I'd have to dig into the owner's manual to figure it out. In fiddling around with the system, I could not find any manual settings that affected the operation of the AC.