Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   K&N vs AirRaid CAI (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/k-and-n-vs-airraid-cai-40868.html)

mcalc55 04-17-2012 12:03 PM

K&N vs AirRaid CAI

So I have some amazon credit and was looking at putting a K&N CAI in but also wanted to know what advantages an AirRaid CAI might have. David on the vendor section didn't have much to say besides, "fit and finish" which is great but I was looking for more.

All that being said I recognize a CAI is what it is, it's not going to bring a ton of real performance to the table, just a nice sound..which unfortunately David didn't have a clip of either so I'm just reaching out to you guys to see if anyone has any thoughts. I have a 3.7 and awaiting a new TB from Ryan but no other engine upgrades done

LandEagle 04-18-2012 02:23 AM

Re: K&N vs AirRaid CAI

i prefere airaid. they re-use the stock bottom filter housing. This way serve more ColderAir flow and less heat from engine.
Theroeticaly.

zero_psi 04-18-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalc55 (Post 614448)
So I have some amazon credit and was looking at putting a K&N CAI in but also wanted to know what advantages an AirRaid CAI might have. David on the vendor section didn't have much to say besides, "fit and finish" which is great but I was looking for more.

All that being said I recognize a CAI is what it is, it's not going to bring a ton of real performance to the table, just a nice sound..which unfortunately David didn't have a clip of either so I'm just reaching out to you guys to see if anyone has any thoughts. I have a 3.7 and awaiting a new TB from Ryan but no other engine upgrades done

i got my k&n system off craigs list for 90 bucks super happy with it sounds just like the srt8 if not louder :):thumbsup:

hububub46 04-20-2012 09:33 AM

Save your money and next time buy a hemi... Putting a CAI on a V6 to make it sound better is like these dopes who put a HUGE muffler on a subaru to make it louder. Noise is not power... Sorry to say.... Also for those interested in keeping warranties intact and putting a CAI on their rides.. Mopar performance has them available. They state it will not affect your new car warranty. If you google the part number you will find dealers selling them at huge discounts.

05wkguy 04-20-2012 01:48 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In some cases, yes,but K&N has dyno sheets to prove a gain,albeit a small one, a gain none the less. (about 6 rwhp)

I have the K&N, but now that i've seen the AirRaid and how it doesn't reuse the big factory airbox infront of the throttle body,I would have gone that route if I had the choice.

dmsfun 04-20-2012 02:38 PM

I dont beleive any of those dyno's K and N posts. THat is also no indication of how it drives on the street, only a curve based on flooring the pedal. Their dyno sheets also start at about 2500 rpm, because their intakes lose torque and HP below that, where the engine spends most of its time. I've done comparisons on mine, and the stock intake works the best, beleive it or not.
Get a ported TB instead, as either of those intakes does nothing but make noise.

zero_psi 04-26-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hububub46 (Post 616315)
Save your money and next time buy a hemi... Putting a CAI on a V6 to make it sound better is like these dopes who put a HUGE muffler on a subaru to make it louder. Noise is not power... Sorry to say.... Also for those interested in keeping warranties intact and putting a CAI on their rides.. Mopar performance has them available. They state it will not affect your new car warranty. If you google the part number you will find dealers selling them at huge discounts.

i had a 3.5 inch exhuast on my sti... :thumbsup: i was also 0-60 in the low 4's

DaGreenMile 04-28-2012 08:16 PM

i just got the 57 series K&N and i love it