Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Removing brake calipers

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  schandna01 
#1 ·
I am planning on painting my brake calipers and it order to do it properly and cleanly, I would like to partially remove the calipers. Are there any instructions around on how to remove the calipers/change the brake pads? I don't want to break anything or not be able to put everything back together.

#2 ·
Don't know for sure but if they are like most other calipers then there will probably be two bolts to take out and then it should just slide right off the rotor. I assume you are not going to take off the brake line because if you do you will have to bleed them.

#4 ·
just remove the two caliper bolts and slide them off. You may want to make a custom spacer for the pads to slide between the pads in the void while removed.

#5 ·
The brakes in those instructions don't appear to have the pieces that I've highlighted in yellow in these pics. This is the piece that I am most concerned about getting paint on or trying to paint around. Do these pieces just pull off with a pair of pliers? With these pieces off, I can leave the rest of the calipers and pads in place.

#6 ·
I think that is the "anti-rattle" clips that hold the brake pads on snug, atleast that is what they do on my chevy truck. They shouldn't fall out when you take the caliper off, just be gentle with it and don't let the caliper hang by the brake line. Use rope or wire to hang the caliper from while you paint it.

#8 · (Edited)
They normally come out when you take the brake pads out of the caliper. Most brake pads when you buy them come with new clips (based on your vehicle model) to replace the old ones. The metal is sort of "springy" and pop out on you when you pry them out (after taking the brake pads out). Since your not taking the pads out of the caliper they should stay in there just fine but I am basing this off of other vehicles I have changed the brake pads in. If your looking to not get paint on them then you will probably have to remove the brake pads and then remove the clip but I suggest just leaving them in there and painting them as well. A lot less trouble.

#9 ·
So if I want to remove the clips, what procedure should I follow? Do I need to unbolt the calipers or can I just compress them with a C-clamp, remove the pads and then the clips? I have seen this method used on other cars.

#10 · (Edited)
Just pry the pry them out with a screw driver, they are held in with tension.

The lower part of the clips attach to the caliper carrier while the top fit in to the two hole on the caliper.

If you are removing the caliper you will have to pry them off.

Clean everything down and use the spray on (duplicolor engine paint) or brush on paint of your choice.

* I would spray everything down with brake part cleaner then I would use some bulldog prep solvent. (those specialize solvents are expensive) So you can just wipe everything down with some Laquer thinner to prep the surface for paint.

I have thought about painting my calipers but I haven't decide what color to go with.....

#11 ·
Just pry the pry them out with a screw driver, they are held in with tension.

The lower part of the clips attach to the caliper carrier while the top fit in to the two hole on the caliper.

If you are removing the caliper you will have to pry them off.

Clean everything down and use the spray on (duplicolor engine paint) or brush on paint of your choice.

* I would spray everything down with brake part cleaner then I would use some bulldog prep solvent. (those specialize solvents are expensive) So you can just wipe everything down with some Laquer thinner to prep the surface for paint.

I have thought about painting my calipers but I haven't decide what color to go with.....
Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I am using G2 red paint, which I think will look good with black. I used the G2 paint on my Corvette and they still look perfect after 2 years. They can also mix up custom colors using a paint code.

#14 ·
PM Sent

#15 ·
Yeah a little won't hurt

#18 ·
Have any of you guys looked into brake caliper covers? I'm not sure the size needed, and for my '14 Laredo it doesn't look like there is much room between the calipers and the wheels. The first time I change my tires, I'm changing the wheels (maybe Overland wheels or something), so I'm hoping there is more room to add caliper covers. I painted my Mustang calipers, but it doesn't hold a candle to the look of actual caliper covers. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.