Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Heater blower motor resistor? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/heater-blower-motor-resistor-4088.html)

TimmyB 11-16-2009 06:11 PM

Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Last winter my heater fan wouldnt work except only on high, then all spring and summer it worked perfectly, but now its back to only working on high. I pretty much think its the resistor, as from my research I hear its a common part to go. Can it be repaired at all, from radio shack parts? And has this happened to anyone else, where it seems to be effected by the cold temps and doesnt work? I hope its just the resistor and not a faulty heater control unit, but it does work on high still which is good I guess so I wont freeze.

Joe in PA 11-16-2009 06:46 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Do you have the manual temp control or the auto climate control? The manual uses a resistor to control the blower speed and the automatic used a power module. Near as I can tell neither is serviceable and need to be replaced as a unit when they fail. Both are located on the rear of the HVAC housing and can be reached by removing the glove box.

A quick check on moparpartsamerica.com shows the resistor cost about $6 and the power module cost about $55.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/par...layCatalogid=0

TimmyB 11-16-2009 07:18 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 100557)
Do you have the manual temp control or the auto climate control? The manual uses a resistor to control the blower speed and the automatic used a power module. Near as I can tell neither is serviceable and need to be replaced as a unit when they fail. Both are located on the rear of the HVAC housing and can be reached by removing the glove box.

A quick check on moparpartsamerica.com shows the resistor cost about $6 and the power module cost about $55.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/par...layCatalogid=0


I have the manual heater control. I found the resistor for about that same price online, but was just being cheap and seeing if maybe it can be repaired by soldering on something that can be bought from radio shack using cuircut board parts. Im getting good at soldering, lol. J4J is kinda close to me, i'll just drive out and pick one up this week since they have them cheap.

robpp 11-16-2009 07:54 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
timmy there is also a TSB about this stuff.

let me get it.

its only 07 and 08 i think, but check it out.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2400209a.pdf

Vastier 11-16-2009 08:39 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Your resistor will be more rust than metal which is why it's not working correctly. Moisture gets in there and the resistor isn't exactly weather proof. Very common problem and pretty easy to replace. Hardest part is getting to the screws to take the unit out from under the dash.

05srt12b 11-16-2009 08:46 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
yeah mine went out too! anybody have pics of were this resister would be at?

Vastier 11-16-2009 08:52 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 05srt12b (Post 100623)
yeah mine went out too! anybody have pics of were this resister would be at?

It mounts into the back side of the blower motor. You can get to it under the dash on the pax. side. There will be a wiring harness attached to it.

TimmyB 11-16-2009 09:39 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 100596)
timmy there is also a TSB about this stuff.

let me get it.

its only 07 and 08 i think, but check it out.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2400209a.pdf


Great info, thanks Rob. I think they are wrong, and it should include 05's in that bulletin also. Im going to try the reset proceedures they have down.

TimmyB 11-16-2009 09:43 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vastier (Post 100616)
Your resistor will be more rust than metal which is why it's not working correctly. Moisture gets in there and the resistor isn't exactly weather proof. Very common problem and pretty easy to replace. Hardest part is getting to the screws to take the unit out from under the dash.


You think I could remove the resistor and clean/sand all the rust up if thats the case? It doesnt makes sence how it didnt work last winter then started working perfectly thru summer, but now it doesnt work. It is colder out now, I have had frost on the windows in the morning, so you might be right about the moisture issue. Also my HID's arent working properly now, same as last winter in the cold weather then they worked fine all summer but now its flickering again.

I have the WK service manual on disk and will try and cut and paste the page on how to replace the resistor.

TimmyB 11-16-2009 09:45 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
I know if you remove the glove box which is easy to do the resistor harness is visible under there so you can just follow it back to the resistor. Just unclip the arm on the glove box and pull it out towards you, easy.

Vastier 11-16-2009 11:03 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 100660)
I know if you remove the glove box which is easy to do the resistor harness is visible under there so you can just follow it back to the resistor. Just unclip the arm on the glove box and pull it out towards you, easy.

When you pull that resistor out, you'll understand why you'll need a new one. Sanding won't cut it dude. The rust is screwing up the resistance and that's what controls the lower 3 fan settings. The Hi setting doesn't go through the resistor. I garauntee that's your problem

Vastier 11-16-2009 11:17 PM

Re: Heater blower motor resistor?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 100657)
You think I could remove the resistor and clean/sand all the rust up if thats the case? It doesnt makes sence how it didnt work last winter then started working perfectly thru summer, but now it doesnt work. It is colder out now, I have had frost on the windows in the morning, so you might be right about the moisture issue. Also my HID's arent working properly now, same as last winter in the cold weather then they worked fine all summer but now its flickering again.

I have the WK service manual on disk and will try and cut and paste the page on how to replace the resistor.

As far as your HID's, I'd bet it's a relay that's on it's way out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community