Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Boosting Options for the 5.7L WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/boosting-options-for-the-5-7l-wk-40923.html)

Massster 04-18-2012 11:38 AM

Boosting Options for the 5.7L WK

Hey Guys,

I own a 2006 JGC with a Hemi inside, it’s my daily driver and I occasionally use it for some off road adventures. Aside from the suspension, cosmetic mods and the Predator the rest of it is completely stock.

The thing is that I want to boost it and the turbo kit from NCTS is not suitable for my case because of the off roading (rivers, sand dunes, rocks, etc) so Im looking into the supercharger option because I can get my hands on a fairly cheap Supercharger Kit (Powedyne supercharger, Spearco Water/Air Intercooler, etc) that would require some custom fab to fit in the WK (custom made bracket, additional pulley in the damper, etc) and additional gadgets (SRT4 injectors, Map Sensor, etc) to make it functional.

Is there anyone out there that has done this? (Not necessarily with the same parts) can I get a CMR tune for the Predator to manage the added hardware?, any special considerations I should take?

Thanks in advanced for your comments :thumbsup:

naidib04 04-18-2012 08:53 PM

Re: Boosting Options for the 5.7L WK

I am sure you can find something on the LX forums. Those platforms have more guys supercharging the hemi.

4.whoa 04-18-2012 10:44 PM

There are a few srt's here with superchargers. The supporting mods will be the same as with a turbo. i'm not sure what you meant by srt injectors ,but stock ones probably arent gonna be the ones you want. A supercharger can potentially add a good 100 horsepower or so , & you'll need more then you can get from them. Also the srt map sensor should be a 1 bar (n/a) and with boost you'd need a 2 bar( to reference the boost )

remmy 04-19-2012 12:06 AM

It is going to cost more $ than its worth. I promise you that. I also dont advise you boost a car that was never meant to do so. I went through this with my old Si and the things I had to do to that motor just to have it turbocharged way outweighed jut buying a car with a factory forced induction.

Massster 04-19-2012 09:24 AM

4.whoa, I meant SRT4 injectors and map sensor, I believe they will fit and work fine for the application.

About boosting a N/A born motor, I don’t believe is that much trouble if the boost is going to be at a "reasonable" level for non-forged internals or if the motor is well known for being over designed in terms of material strength. Do you really believe that 5-6 psi would damage a Hemi?

Escape 04-19-2012 10:29 AM

At 8 psi you will be fine.

It's not the boost that's the killer its the tuning. You must have the proper tuning.

Massster 04-19-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks for your answer Escape. Do you think that the proper tuning can be achieved with a Predator?

dmsfun 04-19-2012 11:19 AM

I agree, 8 psi and you do not need forged internals, and should be good for at least 100 more HP and torque. THe Predator can be tuned for this, and get a custom dyno tiune from an experienced Hemi shop, not a mail order CMR tune, and do this before running it at WOT for sure.

Massster 04-19-2012 12:30 PM

Any advice of an experienced Hemi shop that tunes the Predator for this kind of mods?

Escape 04-19-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massster (Post 615718)
Thanks for your answer Escape. Do you think that the proper tuning can be achieved with a Predator?

You already have a Predator correct and you have already used it on your Jeep?

If yes then it will work just fine.

For boost you will need to retard timing, add more fuel and adjust for the larger injectors and 2 bar map among other things.

I do not know of anyone in Lima, Peru.

I would contact JerseyBoy if he cannot be reached contact Johan from DiabloSport.

Massster 04-19-2012 02:50 PM

Yes, I already have the predator and Im running the pre loaded 91 oct setting. Thanks for your help, I'll try to contact JerseyBoy or Johan.

remmy 04-19-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 615703)
At 8 psi you will be fine.

It's not the boost that's the killer its the tuning. You must have the proper tuning.

THIS. I used an Apexi Power FC full ecu replacement to get the best tune I could. Friend of mine is wicked good at tuning. After warm up the Si would be at a 14.7 A/F. Not bad for a 4 banger with an 18g turbo and 20 pounds of boost