Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Coming from Audi to Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/coming-from-audi-to-jeep-40995.html)

newtoncd8 04-19-2012 09:16 PM

Coming from Audi to Jeep

After driving an Audi for many years, I will soon be in the market for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am excited about purchasing a car made in the USA and have been reading the forum daily and learning a lot.

Since I have the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission in my Audi, I definitely want to wait for it to come to the Grand Cherokee. The thought of a diesel is also very intriguing. Sounds like I will be waiting until at least late this year or probably 2013 for these options.

One quick question:

--I test drove the V6 and was quite pleased with the vehicle. However, the select-trac knob on the console is not something I would use. Is there an option to order without the knob on the console? If I do that, what features would I give up?

Thanks for your help.

Curt

avalys 04-19-2012 09:33 PM

Re: Coming from Audi to Jeep

The Selec-Trac system simply changes the programming of the drivetrain, stability control system, etc. to match the road conditions.

In order to get a GC without the knob, you would need to buy a Laredo without the Off-Road Adventure Package, or any RWD GC. All the higher trim levels have the knob if you get 4WD.

Frankly, getting a 2WD SUV seems like a total waste to me.

The features you're giving up, directly, are the 2-speed transfer case (so no 4WD low mode), and of course, all the features on the higher trim levels that are not available as options on the Laredo.

If you have an Audi, just get a 4x4 Overland and forget the knob (do you not like how it looks or something). I came from a BMW and I love mine.

newtoncd8 04-19-2012 09:48 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I concur with your 2WD statement and, I live in Colorado, so AWD is a necessity; I am looking at the Overland 4x4.

It is all about cosmetics, I just think the knob is big and obtrusive. When the time comes, I guess I will learn to deal with it. Thanks.

rangersgiants 04-19-2012 10:00 PM

That's funny. One of the things I like about the overland is that feature. Wouldnt you benefit by having the 4low functionality ? I want to be able to switch to the different modes depending on conditions.

walterhudson 04-19-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoncd8 (Post 616067)
Thanks for the reply.

I concur with your 2WD statement and, I live in Colorado, so AWD is a necessity; I am looking at the Overland 4x4.

It is all about cosmetics, I just think the knob is big and obtrusive. When the time comes, I guess I will learn to deal with it. Thanks.

I like big knobs!

BimmerAgent 04-19-2012 11:22 PM

Newton- Since you've had Audis for a long time, I thought I would warn you since I have had Bimmers for a long time. The high level of customer service you are most likely accustomed to with Audi will not be duplicated by a Chrysler dealer. Even though the JGC is positioned as a near luxury or luxury vehicle, the dealer in my area has no concept about how to treat a luxury customer. The service in most every regard provided by the dealer is a disappointment because the JGC itself sets a high bar that the dealer does not know how to reach. There is a disconnect between the perceived level shown by the vehicle and the actual dealership culture. I've had discussions with my service manager about this service gap, and he gets it, but upper management won't let him implement the training and changes he needs to raise the bar. It's too bad, because while the JGC is pretty good, the overall ownership experience suffers because the dealer can't deliver the expected level of treatment to the customer. Just my $.02 worth. Bruce

ColdCase 04-20-2012 05:53 AM

I've actually have had better service from the local Jeep dealer than BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Often the luxury waiting rooms are more plush with bigger screen TVs, but for technical/functional competence, the local Jeep and Dodge dealers have been better. Since out of warranty cost of Mercedes and BMW service is high, you should expect at least a large screen TV and gourmet coffee in the waiting room :)

Jeeters 04-20-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoncd8 (Post 616067)

If you get a Laredo without the knob, in it's place will be a cubby hole.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/62017433.jpg

padgett 04-20-2012 08:06 AM

Could always just move the knob/switch somewhere else, just a matter of wiring and space.

tnjeep 04-20-2012 08:20 AM

The JGC may be made in the USA but for the V6 the tranny is made in Germany which is probably not a bad thing and the engine is either made in Mexico or the US. Look at the window sticker to see which country it is made in.

JTS97Z28 04-20-2012 08:51 AM

This is the first time I heard of someone not liking that centor console button and knob setup. Not only do they look pretty cool especially at night all lit up, but you get to control your vehicles ride height and driving setting ie. snow, sport, mud etc etc. Whats there not to like about that? :-)

kelvar13 04-20-2012 09:08 AM

I concur on the knob being the best way to adjust things on the fly. Hell even my evo has a select terrain button on the steering wheel (prefer the knob in the gc because every now and again i bump it while turning in the mitsu). Its location at the back of the console is an out of the way location and I hardly notice the thing. I can't imagine how it can be anywhere close to a deal breaker.