Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Are side steps useful? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/are-side-steps-useful-41030.html)

bigpanda 04-20-2012 07:35 PM

Are side steps useful?

I'm thinking of getting chrome side steps either from Mopar or Steelcraft. But I'm not sure whether they're useful as steps or not.

I'm 5'8 and haven't particularly felt I needed side steps. But yesterday I noticed that driver door side seat cusion was showing some wear since I slide out when getting out. FYI, my kids are old enough to jump in the car without side steps.

So, for those who have side steps, do you think side steps for WK2 are useful as steps? Or did you get them just for the look? Thanks.

astro13rm 04-20-2012 09:25 PM

I have found them to be useful. We had to "train" ourselves to use them but I think they will help to save the seats by keeping us from sliding as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Justal13 04-21-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Are side steps useful?

When I was looking at GC's and test-driving, I looked at a few that had the OEM chrome side tubes as part of an option package. I found that they do not stick out enough to actually use as a step, but do stick out more than enough to get crap all over your pants legs if you are not careful getting in and out - actually make entry/exit more difficult in my opinion.

They may be more ornamental and perhaps protect the lower rockers from rocks, but they are not well designed for use as steps in my opinion. Where I live, side steps and running boards tend to collect large amounts of snow and slush in the winter and dump it all over the garage floor.

There are some side-step options that are real steps out there, but many complain they are not very attractive and cut down on ground clearance.

I have had several full-size conversion vans, Suburbans and Tahoes and they need the "running boards" for getting in and out. My personal opinion is that the GC is low enough to the ground that side steps are unnecessary. But to each their own.

bikerbill 04-21-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astro13rm (Post 616650)
I have found them to be useful. We had to "train" ourselves to use them but I think they will help to save the seats by keeping us from sliding as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agree. Just installed these i got from ebay. Seem to be fine, but i agreewe have to train ourselves to use them.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+boards&_rdc=1

Jdsmitty10 04-21-2012 11:56 AM

I was kicking around Gettin sidesteps mainly for my little ones to climb in and out easier. But I'm not a big fan of the looks(even know I believe they would provide added protection from stone chips in the winter. I find my kids climbing on the black plastic where it says "no step". Keep telling them not to step there but at 2 and 3.5 they still do sometimes..

bigpanda 04-21-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 616843)
I found that they do not stick out enough to actually use as a step, but do stick out more than enough to get crap all over your pants legs if you are not careful getting in and out - actually make entry/exit more difficult in my opinion.

Yeah, that is my concern. I even thought about getting rock rails from Mopar and few owners told me as steps, they're not better. They look better though, IMO.

brandont 04-22-2012 09:10 AM

I had the Romik tube steps that had the metal plate on top for my Ridgeline and they worked well for getting in easier and reducing wear in the seat.

2 things I did not like: they tended to ice up and get very slick in the winter making them more hazardous than necessary (not an issue if the step area is plastic). Also they tended to transmit a lot of noise into the cabin. Water, small rocks, even sand in corners would be kicked up by the front tires, hit the metal and the noise would go right into the cabin.

AAAA 04-22-2012 11:17 AM

I'm 6 feet and slide on the side of the seat. My mother-in-law is 4' 11" (and still shrinking at age 88). I thought I would need steps as I am her main source of transportation. To my surprise she easily slides in and out unassisted. Must be the greasy leather conditioner!

Chi-One 04-22-2012 08:22 PM

I bought Steelcraft, love 'em. Main reason was wife is under 5' and she had trouble getting in and out, Me laughing was not helping either!:D

bigpanda 04-23-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-One (Post 617407)
I bought Steelcraft, love 'em. Main reason was wife is under 5' and she had trouble getting in and out, Me laughing was not helping either!:D

Chi-one, how do you like your Steelcraft compared to Mopar's?

ColoradoJeep 04-23-2012 04:54 PM

I added chrome side steps to my my Deep Cherry Red 2012 Limited. They look nice but could stick out a little further. But now the grandkids (6 and 9) don't smash their knees when getting in. That's the main reason I got them. My wife uses them as well.

fundguy 04-24-2012 08:28 AM

Useful for two reasons. One, they are helpful when putting stuff on the roof. Two, they were helpful when putting my old parents into the seats. Without them it would have been a real chore.