Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Leaving Key fob in vehicle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/leaving-key-fob-in-vehicle-41032.html)

Onroad 04-20-2012 08:48 PM

Leaving Key fob in vehicle

I leave my fob in my cup holder in the jeep overnight as I have a attached garage. Does anyone know if this will accelerate key or Jeep battery drain?

Onroad 04-21-2012 05:38 PM

Re: Leaving Key fob in vehicle

I,m guessing most with home garages would leave their keys in the ignition. With the new key fob, not sure if the jeep continuos communicate with the key which would use battery.
When I go in for service, will ask the Tech and post an update.

Jdsmitty10 04-21-2012 07:00 PM

Was sitting in the jeep today while it was off while my wife fed the baby. Evic screen went black after a while so my guess would be it quits communication after so many minutes..I leave mine in te jeep

ColoradoJeep 04-22-2012 04:35 PM

I had a neighbor who left the key fob in the cup holder all the time, and one night they forget to close the garage door. Next morning the jeep was GONE!

Onroad 04-26-2012 09:22 PM

Before your neighbors car was stolen! Did they have any problems with premature battery drain leaving the key fob in the car all the time?

Onroad 04-26-2012 09:46 PM

Ps, that sucks that their car was stolen!

Justal13 04-26-2012 09:54 PM

I would believe the Fob battery will not drain any faster left sitting in the GC, than if stored inside the house.

The Fob is "active" in that it is "constantly" tranmitting a signal, albeit not a very strong signal (the range is approximatly 3-5 feet in active/passive mode - ie when not pushing a button).

But the battery life in these new active/passive Fobs is less than old style Fobs that only transmit when you are pressing a button.

I still recommend changing the Fob batteries annually, and keeping a spare battery at home and another in the glovebox. You can purchase a 5-pack of CR2032 batteries for under $15. Pretty cheap maintenance and insurance.

And I agree that leaving the keys in your GC, even in your garage, is not a good idea. Just ask your insurance agent for the percentage of vehicles that are stolen, that have the keys in them. Many owners with garages leave the keys in the vehicle or hanging on a hook next to the door into the house, and many thieves are well aware of that...

Onroad 04-27-2012 03:18 PM

Thanks for your reply Justal 13 and suggestion about keeping extra fresh batteries around.

Onroad 04-27-2012 03:59 PM

As for leaving keys in the car, battery operate fob or standard. Everyone situation and routine is different along with the risk which could be a topic for another theard. Thanks to all that commented and keep your Jeep safe as they are good looking vehicle :).

HammFist 04-27-2012 04:53 PM

As I understand it, the keyfob only uses battery power when you press a button. If the fob is just sitting in the car, it will do nothing until the truck interrogates it, usually after you put your hand inside the door handle ... and the keyfob reply is an RFID chip that is powered by the interrogating signal. So keeping the fob in the truck should be fine until some unauthorized person decides to take your vehicle for a spin.

Onroad 04-27-2012 05:47 PM

Thanks, like your style of humor :thumbsup: