Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   wj warped rotors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/wj-warped-rotors-4104.html)

KidFresh5.7 11-17-2009 03:58 PM

wj warped rotors

I have since upgraded to the wk, but on the '02 wj I had an issue several times the rotors would prematurely warp. I had probably 3 sets of rotors on under 90k miles. I was under the understanding this was a relatively common problem on this model, but jeep would not acknowledge it as a defect, and consequently not pay for the rotor work. I was just curious if they have ever done anything else as far as acknowledging the problem, or ever issued a defect warning letter to owners.

Martyp 11-17-2009 05:08 PM

Re: wj warped rotors

They did actually acknowledge this fault and to remedy it they changed to a different set of front callipers Mid 2002 manufactured by Akebono.

You can retro-fit these calipers to any WJ.

Just for Jeeps have them for sale for around $350 IIRC.

Here's a description on WJJeeps of the problem and upgrade parts - along with the TSB notice. Click here...

Joe in PA 11-17-2009 05:28 PM

Yep it was indeed the original calipers that were causing a lot of the rotor warping problems on the WJ. My 01 WJ still has the original calipers and it is a constant battle to keep the rotors from warping. The 04' WJ has the newer calipers and I've not had any real warping problems that I can remember. You can limit the warping with the older calipers by trying to consistenly come to a screeching halt when breaking where you really heat on the pads and the remain on the rotors in the spot where they are when you stop. Instead attempt to stop gradualy and let the WJ roll a bit towards the end so the pads do instantly stop in one spot. Kind of hard to explain but by always attempting to have the pads stop ina couple spots when breaking, I've been able to eliminate the rotor warping on the 01 WJ for the most part.

Garaphin 11-24-2009 01:10 PM

Hey Joe-

Can you try to explain that again... So you occasionally, intentionally jam on the brakes to heat them up but then let it slowly roll afterward? I just purchased a 2000 WJ and feeling a slight bit of pulsing when braking at speed. The previous owner kept impeccable records and he had this problem at least 3 times, replacing and resurfacing rotors as necessary.

Thanks!

Joe in PA 11-24-2009 01:34 PM

I wouldn't say I jam on the breaks, more like hit the brake, let off, hit the brakes, let off and then make sure I roll about half a tire rotation between the next to last brake and final stop. Basically just trying not to make one continuous braking and letting the hot pads sit on the rotor where they stop. Takes a little effort to plan that far ahead but I thnk it helps on the older WJ brake setup.

If you are feeling a pulsing in the brakes, chances are the rotors are already warped.

Martyp 11-24-2009 01:44 PM

Yeah, that pulsing / ABS feel is the easiest way to tell that your rotors are warped.

Interesting method to preventing the warping issue Joe, will give it a go.

mon_21 11-24-2009 02:18 PM

had the same warping issues when I first got the Jeep, switched to drilled n slotted rotors and never had the problem even with the Teves calipers............yet!

dreamer1213 11-24-2009 06:07 PM

I have the Teves Calipers on my 2002 WJ...my rotors was warped...but I replaced them with some PowerStop drilled rotors, and they are still running smooth. I was thinking about the caliper upgrade. But said the heck with it...I'll just replace the rotors when time comes again...

StoneCold 02-23-2010 07:00 AM

I have the same problem, with the pulsing. To be fair I knew about it when I bought it and I have thought of replacing the discs with drilled ones, but am unsure if it would make a difference long term.

The braking method Joe describes does work. I was taught it in the army (for several reasons) for the type of driving we were doing, it prevented the brakes from overheating

Rich 02-23-2010 12:04 PM

I had lots of problems with the calipers on my 99, after 2 sets of pads&rotors the left one stopped releasing on the way to work one morning(with week old pads/rotors). A ten minute 2MPG drive later I'm at the closest shop. They replaced the pads, rotors and calipers for about $800. Guess what? I just paid for a new set of defective Teves calipers. Month after that I want back with warped rotors(3rd set now) and they had some lame excuses that it must be my driving because I have a radar detector. I said, "That's a radar locator to you bi@..ch!" Anyway, That's when google brought me to wjjeeps... bought the caliper kit ... Happy ever after.

surfb 02-26-2010 06:57 PM

D/C had a number of issues with this problem with the WJ..

surfb 02-26-2010 06:57 PM

And recalls