Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f184/)
-   -   WK CRD muffler chop (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f184/wk-crd-muffler-chop-41045.html)

ed22carr 04-21-2012 08:21 AM

WK CRD muffler chop

i know at least a few guys on here have done it - does it set of the cel? i'm not talking about removing the dpf (if it even has one?). but a few shops that looked at it for me have said that they would be concerned that the cel would be set off by removing the muffler. if i can free up the exhaust and add an mpg or 2 it would be worth it to me to do as long as i'm not going to have to deal with that stupid light. i need your input! thanks

Burner 04-23-2012 01:38 PM

Re: WK CRD muffler chop

Do you want to put a after market system on or just remove it all together.

TurboDiesel 04-23-2012 06:47 PM

im sure u can
look at the MBRP exhaust
it has no mufflers, straight pipe off the DPF i believe

suzieque 04-23-2012 08:03 PM

I recall reading that the 3.0l muffler is a straight through design more like a resonator

ed22carr 04-24-2012 10:47 AM

I'm thinking of the chop because of the price diff between mbrp system and just removing the muffler. Thanks for the replies! With the dpf left alone do you think the cel would be set off by only removing the muffler (due to reduced back-pressure)?

ed22carr 04-24-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burner (Post 617745)
Do you want to put a after market system on or just remove it all together.

hoping to just remove it depending on the input i get here

TurboDiesel 04-24-2012 10:19 PM

I dont think u will get a code from removing just the muffler

Pretty sure ive seen people do it

tnadanzig 05-09-2012 03:45 PM

I removed the resonator on my Jeep and I didn't really notice any difference, expect maybe just a bit more exhaust note. There is no efficiency gain from what I noticed. I removed it because I had the tube around and want to install a rear skid plate that might interfere. The resonator is pass through and weights around 15 lbs. It won't set off any codes. The 2.75" exhaust tubing after the dpf is more than enough for stock to modified power levels. The dpf pipe is 2.5" so you would need to get rid of that to see any flow improvements. I wouldn't buy the mbrp system.

ed22carr 05-11-2012 06:22 AM

thanks for all of your feedback, i appreciate the guidance. i'm primarily trying to achieve a better exhaust sound because the stock sound is too quiet for me. i guess the dpf delete will have to take place soon for me in order to really reduce some of the back pressure

Taquache 08-08-2012 10:17 AM

Did you end up finishing your exhaust and was it louder?

I like how quiet it is inside the cab but would like a bit more of an exhaust note when accelerating.

TurboDiesel 08-08-2012 06:37 PM

i dont think there is a way to make these louder
even chopping off the DPF doesnt make a huge difference from what i have heard

ed22carr 08-12-2012 11:27 AM

I ended up buying a stainless mbrp system for around $300 - not a bad deal! Simple install but not any louder. Still idles and operates quietly. Under load it's much easier to hear that turbo kick in. No mpg improvement that I've noticed. However my computer gives me an avg mpg of 21-22 most of the time but hand calculated is more like 25+. Anyone else have this experience? I've got the awd model so that's great as far as I'm concerned!