Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Heads, Cam, Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/heads-cam-exhaust-41047.html)

DannyVtCa 04-21-2012 08:53 AM

Heads, Cam, Exhaust

8 Attachment(s)
Installed new heads, cam, manifolds, and exhaust. I use the SRT8 pushrods. Took me about 25 hours, which I split up over the course of two weeks. At the same time I also replaced my leaky transmission cooler lines and water pump.

The mid pipes from Magnaflow were not direct fit, I had to modify and butt-weld them. They are still rubbing my transmission pan a little, so at some point they need to have a few more angles added in to give it some separation. I chopped the X pipe and just have dual 3'' pipes going into my flowmaster 50 HD. It was very tight making it through the transmission support cross member. I will add in the X pipe when I get a chance. Make sure you get the street legal magnaflow mid pipes, and not the off road.... no codes at all so far.

I used the 2009 5.7 exhaust manifolds. They are D-shaped, with the EGR hole. I notched my SRT8 manifolds to allow the EGR to function. They worked well, no codes. As for the clearance issues with the SRT8 manifolds, I just took a good straight chunk off the transmission housing on the passenger side with the reciprocating saw... made sure it was really straight cut. Then I went to lowes and got a galvanized metal sheet and some JB weld. I just put that over the hole.

As for the difficultly, it wasn't that bad. But prepare to have your hands ripped up. Just make sure you have all kinds of 3/8 drive extensions and pivots, some short wrenches for the tight spots. I broke down and bought a Snap on digital torque wrench w/angle. Which didn't really work out that well since I did the 90 degree swing on the head bolts and still needed to re- tighten them after warming the engine for the first time. You need the crank puller, but do not need the install tool.. just use a block of wood and hammer. The rocker arms, pushrods, and oil lifters were not hard at all... you just need to use the proper techniques.

There are good install directions that I used from the LX guys.

As for performance.... my Jeep is now really, really BAD. The manifolds, headers, dual exhaust are all over size piping making it really loud. I thought I could control the noise with the 50 series HD... suppose to be their biggest and most quiet. I put two hushpower 12'' muffler/resonators at the bumper which didn't help the decibel level at all. Although I do not have MDS drone very bad at all. I've had many trucks with dual exhaust, diesels, gassers... but nothing is as loud as this Jeep. Very deep sound.

I only have the initial tune from Inertia, still need to do diagnostics and have them rewrite the initial tune.

I lost a little low end power, seems a little doggie from 0-25 mph. Hoping Inertia can solve that when I get my tune redone. From 30-100 MPH it is a monster. The butt dyno says I really did pick up another 80-90 horsepower. I may add smaller pipes if I cannot pick up the lost low end.

I would just like to thank JeepgComan, as he helped me when I had any questions.

Here are some pics of the process... note... my pistons were disgusting... took me 4 hours of careful scrubbing with carb cleaner, paper towels, and a razor blade to clean them... GET a Catch Can!!! I could see the trail of oil going into my heads... the intake ports were oiled a lot.

Escape 04-21-2012 11:36 AM

Re: Heads, Cam, Exhaust

Excellent!

Specs on heads and cam?

DannyVtCa 04-21-2012 12:25 PM

5.7L Inertia Performance Cylinder Heads
Fully CNC and Hand Blended Intake and Exhaust Ports
Our Proprietary Valve Job
Stock Diameter Intake and Exhaust Valves
New Valve Seals Installed
Upgraded Valve Springs and Hardware Installed

Crazy Jay
209/214 Duration Camshaft
MDS Friendly
Designed for performance & fuel efficiency

DannyVtCa 04-21-2012 12:26 PM

I didn't want to go overboard with the cam... this is their smallest

Scottina06 04-21-2012 02:05 PM

sweet!

Chaoul1 04-21-2012 09:42 PM

YOu should've when with the Spartan Max Cam!

But glad you did this mod! You must make a nice video of it! I haven't seen a "Crazy Jay" installed in a WK yet!

DannyVtCa 04-23-2012 07:43 AM

Well, going to be getting rid of the flowmaster and dual exhaust.... too much for the engine. I'm getting sporatic "Exhaust gas recirculator insuffiencent flow" code. Either my notch isn't big enough or the pipes are too damn big and not enough back pressure. I'm thinking the pipes are all too big... I'll make sure to post a video of the sound before I put on a more conervative muffler.

remmy 04-23-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel7717@aol.com (Post 617596)
Well, going to be getting rid of the flowmaster and dual exhaust.... too much for the engine. I'm getting sporatic "Exhaust gas recirculator insuffiencent flow" code. Either my notch isn't big enough or the pipes are too damn big and not enough back pressure. I'm thinking the pipes are all too big... I'll make sure to post a video of the sound before I put on a more conervative muffler.

I was thinking the same from your original post you had lost significant back pressure. Im getting headers done now myself and will be using a single "4 Gibson catback on mine.

Chaoul1 04-23-2012 02:55 PM

3" is the max you should be using.

4.whoa 04-23-2012 05:10 PM

X2

FlyinRyan 04-23-2012 05:38 PM

I don't agree. Plenty of 5.7s with H/C are using 3" (or even 2.5") true duals and seeing faster ETs. For a single exhaust, I think 3.5-4" is fine for this level of build.

Why not just turn EGR off to get rid of the code?

DannyVtCa 04-23-2012 05:54 PM

I don't have emissions testing until next October... so I should get diablo update to turn it off... I'm thinking the EGR code is being thrown when it goes into MDS mode... since the MDS cylinder on passenger side is the 2nd cylinder. The SRT8 mani's merge the first two cylinders into the same pipe.