Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Storage Boxes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/storage-boxes-41072.html)

nigelh 04-21-2012 11:16 PM

Storage Boxes

5 Attachment(s)
In my last Jeep, 4.7 WJ, I made my own storage Boxes for my gear.

I am now working on them for my WK2..

I am using a single sheet of light weight Ply for the base, 1020mm X 920mm, which fits between the floor anchors, which I will use to tie it down, so I can remove easily and no damage or mods to the Jeep's interior.

I have used Ikea drawer kits, cut a 2 X Base Cabinets #FA301 ‘FAKTUM’ 40cm x 70cm Wide cut down to 1 Draw each and put side by side. 2 X Harlig #15288 40 X 57 Draw Fronts (Discard Smaller Drawer Front) and matching self-closing drawer and runner kit.

I will finish off by spraying all Black. The top will be Ply again with piano hinges on each side so can have a flap that contours with the rear sides and will be covered in Vehicle carpet, this leaves more storage each side of drawers. I also will have a compartment behind the rear seats, in which I keep a toolkit, tow ropes, shovel, first aid kit, fire Extinguisher ect.

The drawers are removable to cut down on weight when removing to get at spare, and one person can lift it all out.

John47 04-25-2012 05:15 AM

Re: Storage Boxes

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelh (Post 617085)
In my last Jeep, 4.7 WJ, I made my own storage Boxes for my gear.

I am now working on them for my WK2..

I am using a single sheet of light weight Ply for the base, 1020mm X 920mm, which fits between the floor anchors, which I will use to tie it down, so I can remove easily and no damage or mods to the Jeep's interior.

I have used Ikea drawer kits, cut a 2 X Base Cabinets #FA301 ‘FAKTUM’ 40cm x 70cm Wide cut down to 1 Draw each and put side by side. 2 X Harlig #15288 40 X 57 Draw Fronts (Discard Smaller Drawer Front) and matching self-closing drawer and runner kit.

I will finish off by spraying all Black. The top will be Ply again with piano hinges on each side so can have a flap that contours with the rear sides and will be covered in Vehicle carpet, this leaves more storage each side of drawers. I also will have a compartment behind the rear seats, in which I keep a toolkit, tow ropes, shovel, first aid kit, fire Extinguisher ect.

The drawers are removable to cut down on weight when removing to get at spare, and one person can lift it all out.

great looking job Nigel, but can I suggest you have a good look at how the tie downs actually anchor in the WK2...
the rear ones are fixed to the plastic trim by 1x 10g self tapper each and the front ones are fixed by 1x 10g self tapper to a 20g sheet metal bracket extending to the floor. Lift the plastic covers on the hooks and check - might influence your plans.
In my opinion certainly not a decent anchor point unless you are prepared for your components coming loose.

1200RT-P 05-10-2012 04:34 PM

Re: Storage Boxes

Nice. I used to drive a Tahoe for work with a Truckvalut. Very similar setup. I'm not sure I would want to give up access to the spare tire well or storage bins in the WK2, though. Nice work.