Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   BBK Throttle Body (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/bbk-throttle-body-41076.html)

disarray 04-22-2012 03:35 AM

BBK Throttle Body

Just noticed this. Has anybody tried this? Any input?

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...?car_motor_key[]=1632&category_key=all

I had a BBK TB back in the day and was pretty happy with it.

montgb 04-23-2012 09:29 AM

Re: BBK Throttle Body

I'm interested as well. I know that the Flyin' Ryan's TBs are cheaper, but he's also taking a break from working on new ones while he relocates.

JeepGuy026 04-23-2012 12:25 PM

Wonder of they have any benefit to the Hemi with all the computers readjusting things....

montgb 04-23-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy026 (Post 617715)
Wonder of they have any benefit to the Hemi with all the computers readjusting things....

Just like the CAI, I'm sure it provides a small initial boost before the ECU levels things out.

I tell myself that I'm laying the foundation for when tuning becomes available. :D

five.7 Hemi 06-13-2012 08:25 PM

I'm also interested in this.....but for the life of me I don't understand why people keep saying that any mod made will create an initial boost in performance but then the ECU will some how put everything back to stock power levels.

Can some one explain to me how that works? Let's say the engine is getting more air via...CAI & a bigger TB. The ECU would have to compensate to keep the air fuel mixture from running lean so it would introduce more fuel which would create more power. So how on earth does it revert back to stock power levels.

Not trying to be a smart ass here.....I really don't understand.

FlyinRyan 06-13-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.7 Hemi (Post 642968)
I'm also interested in this.....but for the life of me I don't understand why people keep saying that any mod made will create an initial boost in performance but then the ECU will some how put everything back to stock power levels.

Can some one explain to me how that works? Let's say the engine is getting more air via...CAI & a bigger TB. The ECU would have to compensate to keep the air fuel mixture from running lean so it would introduce more fuel which would create more power. So how on earth does it revert back to stock power levels.

Not trying to be a smart ass here.....I really don't understand.

The PCM has a base fuel map that gets modified under certain conditions. On a regular basis, the O2 sensors give the PCM feedback making temporary corrections to allow the engine to run in the conditions the PCM wants to see. This correction factor is then applied to WOT fueling.

In essence, the PCM can compensate, but only to a point. It does not revert back to stock power levels unless torque management is being implemented.

five.7 Hemi 06-13-2012 08:52 PM

That makes more sence; I realize that the ECM is only going to be able to compensate so much. So I'm willing bet that a CAI is well within the adjustment zone of the ECM but a CAI, TB, and say exhaust might be to much for the ECM so you could run into a lean condition?

FlyinRyan 06-20-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.7 Hemi (Post 642981)
That makes more sence; I realize that the ECM is only going to be able to compensate so much. So I'm willing bet that a CAI is well within the adjustment zone of the ECM but a CAI, TB, and say exhaust might be to much for the ECM so you could run into a lean condition?

At that point, a tune would be a good idea, but not required.

CMil527 06-20-2012 08:45 PM

One of the guys on dodgeforum ran one on his Durango R/T and it threw codes so he has since returned it and is waiting on a modern muscle unit. I'm looking into the unit offered by fastman, brand new bored out dodge unit for $220 shipped!

kharrar 07-14-2012 10:35 PM

Does FlyinRyan have a website? Looking for a TB for my WK2 3.6 hopefully it will help mpg, will do exhaust and AFE stage 2.

Thanks for in advnace for any help... Karl

FlyinRyan 07-14-2012 10:38 PM

No website....word of mouth only

SINISTERRT 07-15-2012 01:43 PM

I had it threw codes and sent it back. Bought the Modern Muscle 85mm Throttle Body with great success. It's a modified stocker, they know their stuff for sure. SOTP definitely says increased throttle response and zero codes or drivability issues after 2000 miles.