Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First Colorado Mountain Trip with 2012 GC V6 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-colorado-mountain-trip-with-2012-gc-v6-41088.html)

ColoradoJeep 04-22-2012 11:26 AM

First Colorado Mountain Trip with 2012 GC V6

Just finished my first Colorado mountain trip with my 2012 GC V6 Limited. Nothing more challenging (on the highways) than I70 Denver to Vail and back. Now 550 miles on the OD.

Big signs say "Truckers Don't be Fooled, You are Not Down yet!" coning back into Denver. The GC V6 was great, both on the steep climbs and on the decent. As good or better than my 2005 GC WK 4.7 V8 Laredo. Much smoother actually.

Very good engine braking, and smooth "tap right/left" upshifts and downshifts. No lurching or jarring.

If you're not towing, but drive in the mountains (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho) as I do ... the Jeep V6 is fabulous!

AAAA 04-22-2012 11:30 AM

Re: First Colorado Mountain Trip with 2012 GC V6

Nice review. I have the same and also feel that for what it is, it is top notch.

Jamesla30 04-22-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm in Fort Collins, moving to Denver soon. I drive a 99 WJ V8. Will be picking up a new WK2 in the next year or so. Are you certainly glad you didn't get the V8? I would settle on the V6, but I do some occasional towing and am hoping the Diesel w/ 8 speed comes out this time next year. Hopefully as a 2014 model. Then I get the best of both worlds.

Where did you purchase yours? I have heard Fairly Brothers in Colo Springs is about the best in the state.... agree?

Wxchaser 04-22-2012 02:24 PM

Hard to beat Faricy Brothers - they were an awesome dealership for me personally, after shopping about 8 states when I was searching for my GC.

ColoradoJeep 04-22-2012 04:29 PM

Pollard Motors in Boulder, CO is exclusively Jeep, A 5 star dealer, with great HONEST sales and service.

I have bought or leased 8 Jeeps (GC and Cherokee) there and they are THE BEST.

I'm not planning on towing, so can't say one way or the other about V6 vs. V8 towing performance.

Cherodude 04-22-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks for the post. I know that I-70 stretch from several previous trips. Always love it as one of the best Rocky Mountain scenic routes, with side trip up to Mt. Evans. I'll have to schedule a revisit.

Yadkin 04-22-2012 07:38 PM

I hope you went skiing while you were in Vail. :thumbsup:

I've drove that I70 Route to Breck a few years back so I'm familiar with it. My local route here is US421 from Wilkesboro (home of Merlefest, moonshine, NASTAR and Lowes Hardware) west to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and back again. I drive it about 35 times/ year. The climbing section rises 1600 feet in 4-1/4 miles, undivided, curving four lanes, speed limit 55mph. At 60 my GC climbs it in 4th gear easily.

My Expedition with the 5.4L V8 used to downshift into third. :slapfight:

Wxchaser 04-24-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 617311)
Pollard Motors in Boulder, CO is exclusively Jeep, A 5 star dealer, with great HONEST sales and service.

I have bought or leased 8 Jeeps (GC and Cherokee) there and they are THE BEST.

I'm not planning on towing, so can't say one way or the other about V6 vs. V8 towing performance.

I had a lot of trouble with Pollard myself, which is how I found the Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs. Pollard just gave me a huge run around, which as a customer, sends me flying away from any dealership that treats me that way. I just take my business elsewhere. Glad you've had good luck with them though.

HammFist 04-24-2012 04:53 PM

Faricy is an excellent dealership. I've bought 3 cars from them (2 Jeeps and a Chrysler) over the years (since '94) and they have always treated me well.

Timgco 04-24-2012 09:39 PM

glad the drive went well for you.
I have the same engine..but in my Rubicon w/ 35's. pleanty of power to hammer up I70 into Breck or Vail and back.

We also have a 2010 WK with the hemi. I get the same fuel eco in my JK vs the wifes WK on that drive. :D

avalys 04-25-2012 04:15 PM

I will just add another good word about Faricy Brothers - they have been great in all respects - sales, service, warranty work, etc.

bobleeswagger 05-01-2012 06:58 PM

ColoradoJeep, I am in Denver too, and have made that drive multiple times, once in the WJ V8. It was ok, definitely felt the lost of power and the constant downshifting to get through the mtns, especially in the Eagle county area where it's 10,000ft above sea level. Sometimes I feel like it's pedal to the metal and the car is not really responding-this is w/o towing and carrying any load and just 2 people.
I drove the V6 WK2 and came away with mixed feelings-and this was in PA where there's no elevation. Wondering how you are living with it living in CO. How was it in the mtns, frequent downshifts or just smoothness.