Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Disable auto lift gate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/disable-auto-lift-gate-41091.html)

IRISH 04-22-2012 12:15 PM

Disable auto lift gate

Does anyone know how to disable the auto lift gate so it functions like the lower trim models?

Mongoose9400 04-22-2012 12:42 PM

Pull the handle twice each time you go to open it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

IRISH 04-22-2012 06:46 PM

Re: Disable auto lift gate

I want it disabled permanently, so it will never open on its own.

Mongoose9400 04-22-2012 06:48 PM

Why?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

mot250 04-23-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH (Post 617363)
I want it disabled permanently, so it will never open on its own.

If you find a way, great but please, please, please don't tell Jeep/Chrysler/MOPAR that there's a good reason to do so or they might remove the power liftgate function like the removed the remote-keyfob-activated-front-window-down feature.

If you do talk to someone, be sure they understand you think it should be a car owner/driver choice.

There might be a fuse you could pull or a wire you can disconnect that would make it semi permanent but relatively easy to re-enable if you or the next owner wishes to activate it at later date.

IRISH 04-23-2012 08:14 PM

I am going to try and disconnect the power arm and see how it reacts

josh3008 04-24-2012 02:11 AM

Pull it off and send it to me, i will send you a normal gas strut in return. Lol

Jdsmitty10 04-24-2012 05:04 AM

Don't have an answer for us but I am wondering why you want to disable it? Accidentally open it into something?

fundguy 04-24-2012 02:02 PM

Makes no sense to me either. Super handy. Open the rear when carrying something, open it in the rain so I have a place to run to etc.

mot250 04-25-2012 02:18 PM

Opening it accidentally into the inside of a garage door, light post in a parking lot, another vehicle, or anything you park too close to (or that later parks too close to you) would suck but I think the benefits generally outweigh the times I would want to be sure it is not activated.

My 2 yr old son got hold of the keyfob for our Chrysler Town and Country with the same feature and opened the rear liftgate for the minivan while it was in the garage. Luckily, my wife managed to pull all the way into the garage against the front parking stop (brick) I have placed for her and the liftgate did not hit the garage door.

The real solution in this case is to be sure he doesn't get the key fob.

fundguy 04-25-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot250 (Post 618983)
Opening it accidentally into the inside of a garage door, light post in a parking lot, another vehicle, or anything you park too close to (or that later parks too close to you) would suck but I think the benefits generally outweigh the times I would want to be sure it is not activated.

My 2 yr old son got hold of the keyfob for our Chrysler Town and Country with the same feature and opened the rear liftgate for the minivan while it was in the garage. Luckily, my wife managed to pull all the way into the garage against the front parking stop (brick) I have placed for her and the liftgate did not hit the garage door.

The real solution in this case is to be sure he doesn't get the key fob.

I agree with the solution. But since you have to tap the open button twice in quick succession makes accidents highly unlikely. I have had auto tailgate on my nissan which is just hold the button for a second or two to open and in 8 years never had it open accidently. And opening into anything isn't a problem either. If it feels a small amount of pressure pushing back it will just close without any damage, and unless its something like sand paper without any paint damage either. Still confused as to why you would deactivate this. One of my favorite features. And the fav of the little woman.

Mongoose9400 04-25-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundguy (Post 618368)
Makes no sense to me either. Super handy. Open the rear when carrying something, open it in the rain so I have a place to run to etc.

True that. I didn't think I'd use the feature much myself. But I love having it now. The rain shelter is awesome for when loading up groceries or something.

Sent from my iPhone 4S