Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Automatic Temperature Swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/automatic-temperature-swap-41099.html)

gopking119 04-22-2012 05:16 PM

Automatic Temperature Swap

Looking at a 2012 JGC Laredo. It has the manual knob temperature controls. I'd like the automatic dual zone temperature controls. I went to mopar and found the part: http://www.mopar.com/part/55111833AK...1004134&b=jeep

Does anybody know if it's just a matter of swapping out the manual knob interface for the automatic temperature control interface? Or is more involved?

Scottina06 04-22-2012 08:31 PM

Re: Automatic Temperature Swap

way more invoilved. First youd need a complete auto climate dash and vehicle harness.

Twilight_Imperium 04-22-2012 10:33 PM

:-) I asked that same question a month ago.... and got the same answer from the forum and the service guy at my dealer.

padgett 04-23-2012 04:43 PM

Possible but woulld be dumb on the part of C-J since both have the same authority/sensors (well, auto unit might need a sensor in the dash & would explain the different harness, prolly just two wires & a thermister) but otherwise are the same from the back end.

Place to start is by comparson of the option list on the build sheet (CJ customer assistance will e-mail one if the ownr asks) & see what is different (dual zone has code HADS, suspect is only code that is different). Also suspect the same control has been used for a while possibly in different cars (e.g. Grand Caravan).

What might make a difference is single vs dual air but don't think that is an option. Console already has rear seat outlets and is no 3rd seat. Bet other than adding the dash sensor (going out on a limb here since do not have an ATC car to check but suspect the sensor goes behind the plastic wood trim above the glove box lid.), it is plug and play.

I should know more when the wiring diagram arrives. Be something fun to find out but in central Florida, when you need A/C it is on MAX anyway.

ps Just about five minutes play and suspect the part number in the first post is for the Manual unit (HAD) and the 55111916AC is for the ATC (HAF), does look like two tabs on the top that are different but no big, job for JBWeld. Critical question (and suspect I know the beancounter answer) is whether the connectors are the same.

JTS97Z28 04-23-2012 04:45 PM

Definately not a simple swap. If you want that option just get it otherwise you will regret it. I dont know why so many guys on this forum buy the base model then want to add all the features of the higher end models. Just get what you want right off the bat.

padgett 04-23-2012 06:16 PM

All of these guesses with no backup. Am tempted to just drop a Benjamin and find out. Suspect an IAT sensor will produce the same signal (bought a "hose" to modify) but should get a wiring diagram later this week so will be able to tell more.

Anyone know where there is a listing of option codes ? Looks like JPM may be heated/ventilated front seats and CAJ dual air (3 seat Durango). Just need the one for the bare HAF which appears to also be used in the Charger (blanks in bottom button row)

ps don't want all the features (do like cloth seats & DOHC sixes and do not like chrome or plastic wood), just some technostuff & enjoy fiddling. Usually takes about a year to get a car the way I like it, computers just make it easier.

Twilight_Imperium 04-23-2012 06:22 PM

Your a braver man than I. $100 and 10 minutes of labor will answer this question quickly. At the moment I have neither.

padgett 04-26-2012 09:05 PM

Well got the wiring diagram and looks like it is a bit more involved, no big just need a little more:
1) "sun light sensor" - three wires
2) additional fused 12v supply
3) fan blower module is completely different and receives a variable feed from the ATC instead of switched inputs going to a resistor block & motor connects to module with 12v from blower motor relay going to the module instead of the motor.

Have had cars with ATC & SCR controllers for so long I forgot about the resistor blocks, is really old school.

So to change you need the ATC module, the sensor, and the blower module plus do a bit of rewiring. Not quite plug'n'play.

ps tried to order the 55111916AC for $106 is NLA has been replaced by an -AL for $182. That is a bit much (plus the module) just to prove a point.

That said, if you find one in a recycling center, be sure to get all three modules and the harnesses, then it would be an easy swap.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-27-2012 11:57 AM

It is a totally different system, you would need a new blender door system, Blower motor, new wiring harness, new controls and even then the computer system will not reconize it