Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Transmission Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/transmission-service-41110.html)

mcjeep 04-22-2012 11:17 PM

Transmission Service

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4 WD and 5.7 hemi. I plan to do the first transmission fluid change at 21,000 miles. I have factory installed full skid plates. I have read in other forums that the WIX 58843 filter kit is the deep pan style for the 4WD. But when I look at my transmission pan, it really looks shallow. Actually it has almost no depth. Is a shallow pan used in the 2011 4WD with full skid plates for clearance? Has anyone used the WIX 58843 in their 2011 WK2 4WD with skid plates? Joe in Tucson.

Onroad 04-26-2012 09:11 PM

Re: Transmission Service

I'd would say yes, on the shallow pan. Not sure why you would want to change your tran oil so soon?

mcjeep 04-28-2012 09:10 PM

I tow a 5,000 lbs trailer about once per month. The tranny can get above 220F on the mountain passes. I figure an transmission oil change at 20,000 miles is probably good investment for a $5,000 transmission. Based on the number of replies to my posting, not many people have done an transmission oil change on their WK2's yet, particularly the 4WD hemi with skid plates.

Onroad 04-28-2012 09:37 PM

This is a great site with many knowledgeable people. :).

johnpaul 08-01-2012 10:48 AM

I too have seen my tran temp get to 220F however it is when idle. Would i be off, by thinking that our skid plates limmit cooling? (Passive thermal dissipation i assume)

tnjeep 08-02-2012 05:30 AM

I do quit a bit of towing with my pickup that is 10 years old now and I have changed the tranny fluid every 30k since it was new and no problems yet. 20k miles seems a little early for a vehicle that just tows once a month. On my other vehicles I never change the tranny fluid and probably won't on my JGC unless I keep it to 100k miles.

hammer1234 08-02-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpaul (Post 664326)
I too have seen my tran temp get to 220F however it is when idle. Would i be off, by thinking that our skid plates limmit cooling? (Passive thermal dissipation i assume)

I have read that the temperature on the EVIC is not valid unless the vehicle is in Drive. When in Park mine is close to the coolant temperature but when in Drive the max I've seen is the low 170s, even when towing a pop-up camper.

peckmv 08-02-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcjeep (Post 620952)
I tow a 5,000 lbs trailer about once per month. The tranny can get above 220F on the mountain passes. I figure an transmission oil change at 20,000 miles is probably good investment for a $5,000 transmission. Based on the number of replies to my posting, not many people have done an transmission oil change on their WK2's yet, particularly the 4WD hemi with skid plates.

Did you just do a fluid and filter change or did you do a filter and flush?

tnjeep 08-02-2012 01:05 PM

I would suggest not doing the flush, have had a few vehicles in our fleet at work with trannys that went out after a flush. Best to just drop the transmission fluid and change the filter even though you can only really drop about a third of the fluid, the rest stays in the transmission.

Xjrguy 08-02-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjeep (Post 664824)
I would suggest not doing the flush, have had a few vehicles in our fleet at work with trannys that went out after a flush. Best to just drop the transmission fluid and change the filter even though you can only really drop about a third of the fluid, the rest stays in the transmission.

What's the whole story there?

Did the trucks at your work have high mileage? Were their transmissions ever serviced regularly?

A transmission that is serviced regularly or in a relatively new vehicle should not have to worry about doing a full fluid evacuation and refill.

tnjeep 08-04-2012 05:18 PM

I'm not diagnosing, I am just saying that we can not do a flush on any vehicle in our fleet because of problems on a few vehicles after a flush.