Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Adding Auto-Dim Passenger Side Mirror to Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/adding-auto-dim-passenger-side-mirror-to-limited-41120.html)

SMG1 04-23-2012 07:58 AM

Adding Auto-Dim Passenger Side Mirror to Limited

So after realizing that I'm not crazy (well, not for that reason at least) and confirming that my '12 Limited didn't come with an auto-dimming passenger side mirror like my '11 did, I'm wondering is it possible to add this feature by just purchasing the mirror glass from an '11. Does anyone know if there's different wiring back there for the auto-dim feature, or is it just the glass that's different?

JTS97Z28 04-23-2012 09:33 AM

Re: Adding Auto-Dim Passenger Side Mirror to Limited

So the 2012 Limited really is Limited. That's weird that it doesn't have it could it have been a error at the factory? Afterall, we have seen wrong steering wheels and wrong center console colors installed. I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

As for swapping I bet it would be swappable unless the auto dimming wiring isn't in your mirror harness.

SMG1 04-23-2012 10:02 AM

Factory error was my first thought as-well, but I later learned that Jeep got rid of the auto-dimming passenger side mirror on Limiteds without the ACC/blind spot warning package. So that's why I'm wondering if the wiring is different now.

JTS97Z28 04-23-2012 11:20 AM

I bet you there is a very good chance that it would be plug and play. Could always find a somewhat reasonably priced mirror on eBay and try it. Worst case it doesn't work and you can resell the mirror and be out little to no money.

James

gaidin43 04-23-2012 06:21 PM

Can anyone confirm if you can add auto dimming? to a Laredo X or Limited? plug and play

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-23-2012 06:24 PM

It os not plug and play on the wk, but can be easily added by running a wire. Prob the same on the wk2

SMG1 04-23-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 617686)
I bet you there is a very good chance that it would be plug and play. Could always find a somewhat reasonably priced mirror on eBay and try it. Worst case it doesn't work and you can resell the mirror and be out little to no money.

James

Yeah, I may end up going that route. I wouldn't be shocked if they left the wiring in there and only changed the glass. Manufacturers can be funny like that. Like the WK SRT8s with the rear fog light bulbs installed but not hooked up to anything on U.S. models.

captdef 09-07-2012 06:07 PM

Did you find out if the dimming wiring is in the passenger harness? I just had to get a replacement mirror for my passenger side and found out that the one I received has connections for the dimming leads, if they're there.

I already looked inside the mirror but didn't find them. If they're inside the door I'd like to know if somebody else found them before I go tearing my door apart.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Scottina06 09-07-2012 07:43 PM

Does the new mirror have a.line about 1" in around the perimeter of the glass? If so....its autodim and will be plug and play.....or was on my durango anyway.

Edit- FYI....there is no wiring....there is a telematics box on the door that the mirror plugs into.

captdef 09-07-2012 07:58 PM

I know the mirror I got is auto dimming; the harness plug is on the back same as the driver's side along with the connections for defrost, but there isn't a lead inside the mirror housing to plug it in. I'm wondering if it's down inside the door and i just have to fish it up into the mirror.

They must have been nice to you Durango owners and left it in the mirror.

AlexTheSquid 09-07-2012 09:17 PM

This is something I was wondering if I could add to my 2013 Laredo X as well. I am very fond of the auto-dim mirrors.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of the part numbers for the driver and passenger side mirrors that are auto dim, heated, and have the turn signal LEDs as well. I am still trying to learn how to scavenge for Mopar part numbers without am OE manual or such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Scottina06 09-07-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captdef (Post 680749)
I know the mirror I got is auto dimming; the harness plug is on the back same as the driver's side along with the connections for defrost, but there isn't a lead inside the mirror housing to plug it in. I'm wondering if it's down inside the door and i just have to fish it up into the mirror.

They must have been nice to you Durango owners and left it in the mirror.

do you have the entire housing or just the mirror glass?