Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   WK continuous leak. FML!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/wk-continuous-leak-fml-41139.html)

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 04:14 PM

WK continuous leak. FML!!

3 Attachment(s)
I know there are tons of threads about A pillar leaks, sunroof leaks, etc so I apologize in advance for yet another post...I have taken A-pillars out, ran water over sunroof, windshield, etc. and can not find leak or water coming in...My passenger floor carpet and pad is ruined from a continuous leak somewhere. I noticed today that now the driver side A pillar is leaking through bolt holes. Took apart, and found only a few drops at the top coming off the headliner black foam. Any ideas? Any help would be awesome!!

Scottina06 04-23-2012 05:05 PM

Re: WK continuous leak. FML!!

I bet thats the ac drain hose...crawl under there and blow it out

jlewissystem 04-23-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 617841)
I bet thats the ac drain hose...crawl under there and blow it out

x2

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 05:29 PM

Thanks, is that the reason for the brown/red staining?

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 05:34 PM

I can't seem to locate any layouts of the a/c drain on WKJeeps.com...what would it be under?

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 05:43 PM

when we got heavy snow last year there was about 2 inchs of water on the floor. Still think its the a/c drain?

jlewissystem 04-23-2012 06:00 PM

Maybe through the cabin air filter area-passenger side cowl, although that's not supposed to happen, obviously. I would assume the discoloration would be from mold and/or corrosion.

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 06:05 PM

Man I have no idea. I will crawl under there tomorrow to see what I can find, but I do not see ANY leaks coming in. I took a few of the covers off and poured water over the sunroof and windshield, doors, etc and saw nothing. Im clueless and so is the dealership that checked it out. They gave all drains a pressure test and said everything was draining as it should and kept asking if i had spilled transmission fluid on the floor. I have spilled a few things, but that is not one of them lol

2005JGC 04-23-2012 09:37 PM

open your sunroof and pour water down your front drains... NOTE: inspect the track prior to verify that you understand what one is the drain channel and ONLY pour into this channel, there is a portion of the track that looks like the drain channel that will dump the water out over the top of your headliner and all over the place. get it on an incline to where the water will drain to the back of the track when poured into the drain channel and pour little by little, again pouring a bunch will just overflow all over the top of the headliner. Consider when doing this that there is not a perfect seal from glass to roof but it also doesn't just let water just pour in and the drains are all designed to handle only that amount of water.

The front drains should dribble out behind the front wheels on each side and the rears should pour out in front of the rear wheels, what happens most of the time is the rear drains clog then its not an immediate leak but once you start to drive and the drain channels level out enough that the water accumulation in the rear comes forward and overwhelms the front drain splashing over and down the front of the headliner.

If one of them doesn't match the others flow then put your focus there. Consider when your water testing I typically leave a vehicle under water for 30min or more before I even CONSIDER walking over to it to inspect it. It can take a while for water to accumulate enough to come in.

I have a leak-squeak-rattle coworker who replaces the upper door seal on every water leak WK or XK the one that runs from the rear view mirror area to the back 3/4 window.... when he has it out he seals the body seam. I have personally never seen this leak in person but it seems like ALL of his leak there.

1_\/\_WK 04-23-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 618031)
open your sunroof and pour water down your front drains... NOTE: inspect the track prior to verify that you understand what one is the drain channel and ONLY pour into this channel, there is a portion of the track that looks like the drain channel that will dump the water out over the top of your headliner and all over the place. get it on an incline to where the water will drain to the back of the track when poured into the drain channel and pour little by little, again pouring a bunch will just overflow all over the top of the headliner. Consider when doing this that there is not a perfect seal from glass to roof but it also doesn't just let water just pour in and the drains are all designed to handle only that amount of water.

The front drains should dribble out behind the front wheels on each side and the rears should pour out in front of the rear wheels, what happens most of the time is the rear drains clog then its not an immediate leak but once you start to drive and the drain channels level out enough that the water accumulation in the rear comes forward and overwhelms the front drain splashing over and down the front of the headliner.

If one of them doesn't match the others flow then put your focus there. Consider when your water testing I typically leave a vehicle under water for 30min or more before I even CONSIDER walking over to it to inspect it. It can take a while for water to accumulate enough to come in.

I have a leak-squeak-rattle coworker who replaces the upper door seal on every water leak WK or XK the one that runs from the rear view mirror area to the back 3/4 window.... when he has it out he seals the body seam. I have personally never seen this leak in person but it seems like ALL of his leak there.

I already inspected the front and everything flows out fine as it should. I will have to check the A/C hose and rear tomorrow. Do you think even if the front is not clogged the rear will cause water damage to the floor board in the pics i posted?

2005JGC 04-23-2012 09:46 PM

YES, the rear are the most common problem that causes complaints of water dripping from the A pillar and headliner, that said if allowed to continue leaking water intrusion leads to puddles ;)

1_\/\_WK 04-24-2012 03:42 PM

Si senor. Have not had a chance to check out the rear yet. Hopefully tonight or tommorow. Will report back asap.