Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Roof Rack - wind noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/roof-rack-wind-noise-41169.html)

AussieJeep 04-24-2012 05:02 AM

Roof Rack - wind noise

Has anyone else had a problem with excessive wind noise once installing roof racks on their WK2, I have spent a fortune trying different brands in numerous locations on the fitted roof rails, first were the Thule racks, very noisy, then the genuine Mopar type, also noisy, any sugestions welcome.

peckmv 04-24-2012 05:35 AM

Re: Roof Rack - wind noise

I have the Mopar one and it has a bit of wind noise but I don't think its excessive. I have mine mounted as far apart as they will go. I have yet to see any roof rack be without some wind noise on the vehicles I've had before the JGC.

nonopr01 04-24-2012 06:21 AM

I have Thule Aero Bars and no noise at all. Also have them in my BMW and nothing there either.
What thule racks did you order first???

jgiuliani 04-24-2012 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you tried adding a fairing? I have Thule bars with a fairing and I don't notice any additional noise at all. Here's a pic with the Thule bars and fairing.

AussieJeep 04-24-2012 05:34 PM

Yeah thanks all, only one type of Thule available here, dont exactly know the model as I sold them to purchase the Mopars, the faring might be the answer how does it fit and were do you get one from / Thanks again.

floodymk2 04-24-2012 06:23 PM

check out thule site 5 different bars to choose from.

www.thule.com.au/

Anyone know how much more wind noise the Thule slide bars make ?
cheers

PECo 04-24-2012 09:01 PM

Are you absolutely positive that your Mopar crossbars aren't mounted backward? :confused: Mine make no noise at all. At all. Really. I intended to take them off when I'm not using them, but leave them on since they're unnoticeable, even with the windows open.

BobT 04-24-2012 09:20 PM

If the noise starts at a specific speed, it could be resonance. I've gotten rid of it by stretching an ocky strap the length of the bar with one or two twists around the bar. It breaks up the airflow and thus the resinance just like the spirals on tall steel chimney stacks.

jgiuliani 04-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJeep (Post 618502)
Yeah thanks all, only one type of Thule available here, dont exactly know the model as I sold them to purchase the Mopars, the faring might be the answer how does it fit and were do you get one from / Thanks again.

I ordered mine from http://www.orsracksdirect.com/

I'll have to go back and check on the sizes but I want to say I have 47" bars and a 37" fairing. I personally like the fit, fairing fits perfect inside the roof rails. Only issue would be if you had a sunroof, I have to put my front bars a couple inches back on the rails so the sunroof can tilt open without hitting the fairing. I really just keep the fairing on for driving around town, on long trips I take it off when I have the cargo box attached.

Yadkin 04-25-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PECo (Post 618660)
Are you absolutely positive that your Mopar crossbars aren't mounted backward? :confused: Mine make no noise at all. At all. Really. I intended to take them off when I'm not using them, but leave them on since they're unnoticeable, even with the windows open.

This.

The Mopar bars are an airfoil design- install them backwards and they be noisy. On the underside there is a printed arrow that should face front.

AussieJeep 04-25-2012 10:33 PM

O.K. got me thinking now, what if they are on backwards, if they are its because someone in the Mopar Factory does not know their product, as said in another thread they have a sticker underneath which tells you which is the forward bar and which is the rear bar, it also says with an arrow which way they are to be fitted, so --- to check if they are on backwards because of wrong sticker placement does the thinner edge point forward or backward on the car ? :)

Mendo 04-26-2012 05:48 AM

re the thules - did you fit the rubber gromets into the tracks on the underside where the adjustable feet go? you shouldnt need to wrap octopus straps or put fairings on.