Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need advice from guys i can trust... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-advice-from-guys-i-can-trust-41184.html)

gokart508 04-24-2012 12:21 PM

Need advice from guys i can trust...

Hey all. Im trying to buy a car for my wife long distance. Was going to fly from Miami to Atlanta to pick it up. Found the car online through an Audi Dealer. I just got an e-mail that seemed odd and wanted your advice. Here it is...

"When you get a chance, can you give me a call so we can go over some things that we need. In order for the vehicle to be secured, we are going to need a $2,500 deposit that we can take on Visa or Mastercard. We are also going to need a copy of your drivers license and insurance card along with the front copy of the credit application. We need a credit application because of OFAC (office of Foreign Assets Control) which is mandated by law to prove that you are who you say you are and not a terrorist. It sounds a little silly but we have to do it. So please give me a call to go over these things whenever you get a chance. If I miss your call, I will call you back as soon as possible or I will have one of my salesmen give you a call and go over it with you as well."

What do you think, is this a scam? Thanks..

Dollar 04-24-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Need advice from guys i can trust...

I wouldn't send a thing, personally. I can understand a deposit because it's possible to travel and then find out the car has been sold if it was not being held with a deposit. And by using a major credit card, you are usually protected against fraud and can dispute the charge if things go fishy. But sending DL, insurance and the other stuff? Nope.

Yadkin 04-24-2012 12:53 PM

It should be legit. They need paper copies of your license and insurance.

Scottina06 04-24-2012 12:59 PM

I've purchased several cars on the net. that's common and required for the credit app etc. It's a legit dealer right?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gokart508 04-24-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 618342)
I've purchased several cars on the net. that's common and required for the credit app etc. It's a legit dealer right?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I am getting my own financing through a credit union. Still need the credit App? Also, isn't a $2500 deposit excessive? And only Visa or master card? I only use Amex, offers me the best protection IMO.

eibyer 04-24-2012 01:27 PM

If they are a dealer, they should be able to take your amex too, and I do agree from experience that amex customer service when it comes to dispute is top notch.

padgett 04-24-2012 02:31 PM

Is the e-mail from the dealer in question ? How did they get your name ? Personally I'd call (not e-mail) the dealer and ask if legitemate.

Agree about AmEx. Suspect they would take $500 to hold it for a few days.

Am surprised the CU did not ask for a purchase order from the dealer. You want to lock in the total price before going to the airport.

BTW do you have a Florida license plate you can transfer ? "New plate fees" are interesting here.

gokart508 04-24-2012 03:42 PM

I went for the deal. They lowered their deposit to 500, put it on a discover, i guess they don't want to deal with Amex fees. I hope im not getting screwed. If i am, it was worth the $500 gamble, its a great car and a great price. Flying to Atlanta this weekend to pick it up. I did secure the price with a PO. Wish me luck.

Aiyer 04-24-2012 04:19 PM

Good luck! My friend bought car from Chicago last year via online and they took a $500 deposit after the vehicle passed PPI and final numbers were agreed upon.

padgett 04-24-2012 08:52 PM

Just watch out for taxes and doc fees. Should be able to get a 30 day temp tag from the dealer to take out of state without paying GA tax but then Florida will want the full bite. Have not done anything like that in years so check with the DMV, you do not want to get hit twice for sales tax.

rustyosaurus 04-24-2012 09:14 PM

no there is no reason why they need a credit app if you have your own financing. my dealer tried to get me to fill out a form and i refused. but they will need your DL and insurance etc. but there is no reason they need those things before you pick up the car.

gokart508 04-25-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 618651)
Just watch out for taxes and doc fees. Should be able to get a 30 day temp tag from the dealer to take out of state without paying GA tax but then Florida will want the full bite. Have not done anything like that in years so check with the DMV, you do not want to get hit twice for sales tax.

My local tax is included in the sale of the car. I guess i just take the bill of sale to the DMV to prove that? You are 100% correct, i don't want to get hit twice. What is a fool proof way to avoid that? Thanks