Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) sets off Radar Detectors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/adaptive-cruise-control-acc-sets-off-radar-detectors-41186.html)

yodamel 04-24-2012 12:54 PM

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) sets off Radar Detectors

wondering if anyone knows whether or not the ACC system sets off the radar detector in another vehicle? Has anyone tested this?

my gut feeling is that it does, since it must send out a radar signal which bounces off the other vehicle and the computer calculates distance and braking based on this information.

Lingohocken 04-24-2012 04:16 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) sets off Radar Detectors

No problem ever with our Valentine detector in 10k miles, about half with the detector plugged in and mounted on center dash.

ColdCase 04-24-2012 04:48 PM

The frequency of the Jeep's radar is different from that of a police radar gun, they wouldn't want to use a frequency that could potentially interfere with police equipment. Radar detectors look for the police frequencies. It is possible that a poorly designed radar detector could be set off but there have been numerous tests with name brands and a false alarm is yet to be reported.

Plasticar 04-25-2012 09:34 AM

The problem is the Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path Detection. Unfortunately it uses K band. And yes, it does set off a V1 set to defaults. I have been disabling K band detection in order to stop the constant false alerts.

I emailed Valentine and received the following suggestion. I have not tried it yet.

Quote:

Instead of disabling K-band, I suggest activating the K-band auto mute feature:
- activate feature "7"
- set the mute period to 3 seconds by adjusting features "b," "c," and "d"
- activate feature "G" to mute all rear k-band alerts permanently

The drawback to the k-band auto mute is that if a real k-band is detected from the front, V1 will mute it for the first 3 seconds

Once programmed, you will need to operate the V1 in either Logic or Advanced Logic mode if you want automatic muting. If you use the V1 in a different vehicle and don't want any auto-muting features, simply operate the V1 in "A" mode.

jd2012jgc 04-25-2012 10:32 AM

Which is why I did not order blind spot etc on my JGC.

Its infuriating to constantly have your detector beep everytime you approach a car with blind spot, and I'd hate to have it on my own vehicle.

Isn't there a single Chrysler designer/engineer that uses a radar detector? You'd think there had to be at least one driving enthusiast there that would say "hey this car is setting off my detector...."

ColdCase 04-25-2012 11:12 AM

The WK2 blind spot uses ultra wideband radar. Some RADAR detectors that detect POP guns will falsely alarm with Blind spot detectors, commercial alarm systems and radar detectors in other cars.

"There is a well known issue involving the some Side Assist feature, which senses cars to the side of your car and flashes a warning if you activate your turn signal at the same time as the system senses a car in your "blind spot".

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to turn the interfering signal off - although you can deactivate the Side Assist feature, the radar is still active. The solution is to deactivate the POP feature.

POP is a feature of certain radar guns manufactured by MPH Industries that is intended to defeat radar detectors. It emits radar in very short bursts - on the order of 67 miilisecods - to take an initial reading of your speed so quickly that the radar detector doesn't have time to recognize the presence of radar and signal an alert. Presumably the police officer can use POP on a series of cars without any radar detectors ever knowing that it's being used. Then if the initial reading using POP shows you are speeding, the officer switches his radar gun to standard mode to get a longer and more accurate reading of your car's speed. Of course now your detector will indeed react, but since he's already got you in his sights you are nabbed before you have time to slow down.

Radar detector manufacturers have responded by setting quicker reaction times to the initial burst of radar energy. Thus if POP is used on a car in front or behind yours, your detector will sense it and signal a warning - hopefully before the officer aims it at you. But this change has the adverse effect of causing more false alarms from noisy devices such as commercial alarm systems, radar detectors in other cars, and many Side Assist features."

I wonder if someone cleaver has managed to turn the collision avoidance and side radars into speed and traffic camera RADAR jammers... but officer its just a collision avoidance system :)

By the way, I don't think you can turn the WK2 side RADARs off, they seem to be always on regardless. Note that its not only the WK2 setting off K band detectors, Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's are notorious. The WK2 adaptive cruise uses a higher frequency; radar detectors should not alarm.

kkreit01 04-25-2012 12:21 PM

Blind Spot and Cross Traffic (on my Lincoln) do not set off my Passport 9500. Very high-end Audis/Mercedes, etc used to set off my crappy Whistler. It was only the high-end S-Class or A8s, etc.

jd2012jgc 04-25-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 618904)
The WK2 blind spot uses ultra wideband radar. Some RADAR detectors that detect POP guns will falsely alarm with Blind spot detectors, commercial alarm systems and radar detectors in other cars.

"There is a well known issue involving the some Side Assist feature, which senses cars to the side of your car and flashes a warning if you activate your turn signal at the same time as the system senses a car in your "blind spot".

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to turn the interfering signal off - although you can deactivate the Side Assist feature, the radar is still active. The solution is to deactivate the POP feature.

POP is a feature of certain radar guns manufactured by MPH Industries that is intended to defeat radar detectors. It emits radar in very short bursts - on the order of 67 miilisecods - to take an initial reading of your speed so quickly that the radar detector doesn't have time to recognize the presence of radar and signal an alert. Presumably the police officer can use POP on a series of cars without any radar detectors ever knowing that it's being used. Then if the initial reading using POP shows you are speeding, the officer switches his radar gun to standard mode to get a longer and more accurate reading of your car's speed. Of course now your detector will indeed react, but since he's already got you in his sights you are nabbed before you have time to slow down.

Radar detector manufacturers have responded by setting quicker reaction times to the initial burst of radar energy. Thus if POP is used on a car in front or behind yours, your detector will sense it and signal a warning - hopefully before the officer aims it at you. But this change has the adverse effect of causing more false alarms from noisy devices such as commercial alarm systems, radar detectors in other cars, and many Side Assist features."

I wonder if someone cleaver has managed to turn the collision avoidance and side radars into speed and traffic camera RADAR jammers... but officer its just a collision avoidance system :)

By the way, I don't think you can turn the WK2 side RADARs off, they seem to be always on regardless. Note that its not only the WK2 setting off K band detectors, Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's are notorious. The WK2 adaptive cruise uses a higher frequency; radar detectors should not alarm.

This is not entirely correct.
(Without hijacking this into a POP thread....)

POP capable radar units operate at either 67 milliseconds 33.8 Ghz which is in the Ka band spectrum, or at 16 milliseconds at 24.150 gHz in the K band spectrum. (Both POP capable guns are made by MPH Industries)

Most higher end detectors have no trouble detecting the 67ms Ka burst, but have virtually no chance in seeing the 16ms K band burst.

Now, side assist transmits in the K band spectrum because K band transmitters are cheap and readily available. Any detector will detect these K band side transmitters as a weak "false" K band alert. It has nothing to do with being POP capable. And, not every manufacturer uses K band side assist, some use transmitters that are in tehe 70ghz+ range, far outside the police radar spectrum. (Thank you :))

On a side note, running into POP units is extremely rare. The only agency that has any substantial number of POP capable guns is the Nevada Highway Patrol, who use POP capable MPH 33.8 Ka guns almost exclusively. Keep in mind a POP reading cannot be used to issue a citation (as per MPH's own directions).

And yes, detectors are a bit of a hobby. I'm very active on radardetector.net, albeit under a different name.

yodamel 04-25-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 618904)

I was thinking the same thing, that it could be modified to effectively mask your speed at least for a few seconds, by sending out it's own signal which would interfere with the RADAR gun.

Lingohocken 04-25-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasticar (Post 618850)
The problem is the Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path Detection. Unfortunately it uses K band. And yes, it does set off a V1 set to defaults. I have been disabling K band detection in order to stop the constant false alerts.

I emailed Valentine and received the following suggestion. I have not tried it yet.

Interesting. Mine is on default and blind spot monitoring is fully activated. Yet, nary a false to date. Our V1 is several years old, although on the Valentine website they say it is new enough not to bother to send it in for an upgrade.

Ours is mounted with Velcro atop the dash quite near the windshield, slightly to the right of center where there is a peep area not blocked by the wipers. Perhaps mounting location makes the difference?

Plasticar 04-25-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 619073)
Interesting. Mine is on default and blind spot monitoring is fully activated. Yet, nary a false to date. Our V1 is several years old, although on the Valentine website they say it is new enough not to bother to send it in for an upgrade.

Ours is mounted with Velcro atop the dash quite near the windshield, slightly to the right of center where there is a peep area not blocked by the wipers. Perhaps mounting location makes the difference?

I also have a V1 a few years old (that was picking up the blind spot monitoring). I tried several mounting locations, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

So... I read a few posts that said they didn't have any trouble with their newer V1s, so I bought a new one about a year ago. It also picks up the blind spot monitoring signals. :mad:

I know our truck's blind spot monitoring is picked up by passing cars with detectors. Drivers will be hauling it and just as they get beside me they will slow down.

Lingohocken 04-25-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasticar (Post 619307)
I also have a V1 a few years old (that was picking up the blind spot monitoring). I tried several mounting locations, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

So... I read a few posts that said they didn't have any trouble with their newer V1s, so I bought a new one about a year ago. It also picks up the blind spot monitoring signals. :mad:

I know our truck's blind spot monitoring is picked up by passing cars with detectors. Drivers will be hauling it and just as they get beside me they will slow down.

Weird. Scratching around for why there is this difference, we have a very early 2012 (August production), yours is a 2011. Perhaps there was a change made somewhere during production?