Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Fog Lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/fog-lights-41206.html)

BobT 04-24-2012 07:34 PM

Fog Lights

24W fog lights on the GC, are they kidding? That's little better than a glow stick. I don't have a fog issue but sometimes I like to throw a little extra light out there. I've read posts of people putting in higher wattage globes and HID conversions and suffering reflector damage. The standard bulb is a PSX24W. There are LED replacements on fleebay which sound tempting but there is even a suggestions of LEDs causing problems, not sure how. Has anyone any real experience with this? I don't want to install additional lights. Overt demonstration of machismo is not my thing. I just want to improve what I've got.

savvas 04-24-2012 07:49 PM

Re: Fog Lights

The LED damage has been in the DRL's. The story goes that the LED bulbs are fine for intermittent use, but not for continuous use as the bulbs heat up and blow.

Look here for something that would really upset you if it happened to your GC ... http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/be-careful-with-led-drls-31813.html

I would have thought a HID conversion would be ok, but I'm not certain on that.

Deserthucker 04-30-2012 04:45 AM

HID may be too bright, remember these do not turn off with high beam.

savvas 04-30-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 621513)
HID may be too bright, remember these do not turn off with high beam.

I agree with that. I just re-read my post and it didnt come out right. I'm definitely against HID in normal reflector lights as they cant shutter down for low beam. But from a temp perspective they should be ok, and not cause a meltdown of the plastics. particularly 35w HIDs.

I saw this option today which could be interesting ...
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=243

ENFORCER 04-30-2012 09:57 PM

Bob, You are nuts doing anything to the foglights as you are just giving the police a free ride for more revenue. Driving with foglights on is an instant ticket, as apparently it will blind small children and cause global warming (j/k). Well you would think so with the way police book people for driving with them.
I would not recommend a higher wattage Halogen as it will either melt your wiring or the housing. HID will kill the small children and burn a hole through the ozone layer and an LED will give you less light than the OEM globe. The LED lightbar seems like a good solution for more light.

BobT 04-30-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 622071)
Bob, You are nuts doing anything to the foglights as you are just giving the police a free ride for more revenue. Driving with foglights on is an instant ticket, as apparently it will blind small children and cause global warming (j/k). Well you would think so with the way police book people for driving with them.
I would not recommend a higher wattage Halogen as it will either melt your wiring or the housing. HID will kill the small children and burn a hole through the ozone layer and an LED will give you less light than the OEM globe. The LED lightbar seems like a good solution for more light.

Quite right! I only want it as a cheap way of getting extra light in high-beam territory. I thought of the LED lightbar but there is the wiring to think of and these days with CANs and all it aint as easy as it used to be.

GlennR 04-30-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 622090)
Quite right! I only want it as a cheap way of getting extra light in high-beam territory. I thought of the LED lightbar but there is the wiring to think of and these days with CANs and all it aint as easy as it used to be.

Hi Bob,
This is a thread I have kept for future reference.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=39575

Matty470 05-01-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 618591)
The LED damage has been in the DRL's. The story goes that the LED bulbs are fine for intermittent use, but not for continuous use as the bulbs heat up and blow.

My wifes new Ford Focus has LED DRL's fitted as standard fitment.
New HSV's also run LED DRL's, my guess is any issue is caused by a cheap LED, as they can be run continuosly if done right.

AussieWK2 05-01-2012 05:52 PM

Guys, you've paid a fortune and waited an eternity for your new toys, why tamper with something that "ain't broke"? Most / All car manufacturers invest a lot of R&D that we pay for in the drive away price to produce a car that not only complies within local legislated laws but are perfect for their applied use.

With the exception of some personalised mods, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to new cars. I'm not planning to hunt roo's or ferrel pigs under the stars so no need to play with lights.

I'll leave the unnecessary mods to my car to future teenage owners in 10-15 years from now!

savvas 05-01-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty470 (Post 622363)
My wifes new Ford Focus has LED DRL's fitted as standard fitment.
New HSV's also run LED DRL's, my guess is any issue is caused by a cheap LED, as they can be run continuosly if done right.

Yep, there are LED DRL's out there and have been around for a few years now.

But the LED bulbs that are used as aftermarket substitutes for incandescent bulbs seem to be causing the problems.

Mendo 05-01-2012 07:46 PM

Excuse my ignorance but couldn't you just put in whiter halogen bulbs to replace the yellow DRLs rather than LEDs?

The DRLs are growing on me I like the contrast and I don't want to look like a Euro SUV.

ENFORCER 05-01-2012 09:36 PM

Mendo, do you know of any that exist ?
I would love to get a whiter light, but after stuffing my DRL's with LEDs and having to get the dealer to fix it, I am weary of any aftermarket globes.