Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Body-color matched grill, handles, etc... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/body-color-matched-grill-handles-etc-41222.html)

Jamesla30 04-25-2012 06:28 AM

Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
I will probably end up ordering the overland trim, but i really don't like all the chrome on it... what would be the easiest way to get an overland with body-match door handles, grill, mirror covers, and lift-gate cover? Is it even possible to order something like this, or do you think a dealer would negotiate to make the changes in their shop? Or would it be easier to have a third party take off and paint the parts?

I also like the "altitude" look which is similar and has most of these changes, but with black grill and black wheels. However, it is my understanding this is for Laredo X package, and I can't upgrade that enough to get the overland features.

Can I add the "altitude" package to an overland trim??

Basically I LOVE this look:

http://www.carmk.net/media/2010/11/2...5080729225.jpg

padgett 04-25-2012 08:18 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
I would like a body colored grille on my Cherry Red. Have heard several things - can anyone confirm/deny:
1) SRT8 grille is body color but (a) is $700 and (b) Won't fit a Laredo
2) Paint won't bond well to chrome plastic
3) Altitude grille may be black and easy to respray but have not seen a p/n or price.

Other suggestions would be appreciated, anything aftermarket ?

JTS97Z28 04-25-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
I would say the absolute best way to go about what you want to do is first order the exact vehicle you want. It sounds like Overland is what you want so get that so you dont have to make a post about adding extra features later like everyone else ;-)

Then from there is when I would order OEM parts in the body color of your Overland. The grill and rear chrome bar between tail lights are the only pieces I think that dont come any other way except chrome. So those you will eithert have to have professionally body colored at a shop, or do the simpler less expensive way and maybe do the plasti dip method which will give you a matte black look on those parts (not sure if thats the look your after).
As for the body side moulding thats a easy and cheap fix. Remove the chrome strips (one on each door and they peel off), then replace with the SRT8 grand cherokee emblem. Thats a very nice mod that im considering doing as well.

The dealership will not be able to special order this vehicle setup as you like it, so its something you have to do once you get the vehicle. I personally would not pay the dealership to do this because first off they suck and will likely screw something up, and secondly none of the stuff you want to do is hard to do except for maybe the parts you need professionally done.
There are a lot of threads on this forum about guys de-chroming their cars so you should find everything you need right here.

James

rustyosaurus 04-25-2012 10:09 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
1) take off the chrome side trim pieces and replace with GC letters or nothing at all
2) order the laredo body colored power mirrors and just use the mirror caps
3) order the laredo body colored door handles and swap them out
4) wait for the altitude grill and rear brow to come out and get those parts or, have yours painted

i swapped out the mirror caps and got my rear brow painted. i'm going to wait and see how much the altitude grill is.

JTS97Z28 04-25-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
I found the painted door handles online at http://site.factorymoparparts.com/ and they were cheaper than I thought. $29.38 for each handle painted. Not bad!

A simple fix for the chrome front grill would be to get a SRT painted grill right from the factory, but does anyone know if it works on the non-SRT models? Not sure if it would line up with the bumper the same.

James

jeepster23 04-25-2012 11:11 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 618890)
I found the painted door handles online at http://site.factorymoparparts.com/ and they were cheaper than I thought. $29.38 for each handle painted. Not bad!

A simple fix for the chrome front grill would be to get a SRT painted grill right from the factory, but does anyone know if it works on the non-SRT models? Not sure if it would line up with the bumper the same.

James

The rear door handles are $30 but the front door handles with the keyless go sensor ar like $90 each. The SRT grill DOES NOT FIT it has been tried before but I cant remember who off the top of my head.

jeepster23 04-25-2012 11:15 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesla30 (Post 618793)
I will probably end up ordering the overland trim, but i really don't like all the chrome on it... what would be the easiest way to get an overland with body-match door handles, grill, mirror covers, and lift-gate cover? Is it even possible to order something like this, or do you think a dealer would negotiate to make the changes in their shop? Or would it be easier to have a third party take off and paint the parts?

I also like the "altitude" look which is similar and has most of these changes, but with black grill and black wheels. However, it is my understanding this is for Laredo X package, and I can't upgrade that enough to get the overland features.

Can I add the "altitude" package to an overland trim??

Basically I LOVE this look:

http://www.carmk.net/media/2010/11/2...5080729225.jpg

The easiest thing to do IMHO is to go to a reputable body shop and have them paint everything you want matched. Even though it is plastic chrome being painted it will come out great with the proper preparation and use of quality paint.

Megatron 04-25-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 618903)
The SRT grill DOES NOT FIT it has been tried before but I cant remember who off the top of my head.

X2, It has been done, and ALOT of custom work was done to the bumper/grille in order for the grille to fit the non srt bumper.

JTS97Z28 04-25-2012 11:33 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 618903)
The rear door handles are $30 but the front door handles with the keyless go sensor ar like $90 each. The SRT grill DOES NOT FIT it has been tried before but I cant remember who off the top of my head.

Oh yeah I forgot about all the keyless access stuff. So I guess it was the standard cheapest handles I priced out.

hops23 04-25-2012 11:45 AM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
I got my handles from a similar site for around $240 shipped. Swapping them out wasn't too bad either. I finally did them this weekend.

suprand 04-25-2012 12:18 PM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
If you have a black overland, im sure the oem parts from the altitude edition will be available to order (grill and rear chrome piece on the liftgate). Thats what im waiting to do as long as the price isnt ridiculous!

Jamesla30 04-25-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Body-color matched grill, handles, etc...
 
Sounds like it might be more of a pain and extra cost to de-chrome things than just deal with the overland as it comes. I wish you could make these slight alterations when ordering from the plant....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community