Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Was not getting Quadra-Trac II a mistake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/was-not-getting-quadra-trac-ii-a-mistake-41253.html)

JeepMonster 04-25-2012 09:18 PM

Was not getting Quadra-Trac II a mistake?

I feel like everyone has the option to switch into Sport, Snow, etc but since this is my first Jeep I'm not as familiar with how capable the Quadra-Trac I system is vs the II. Will the standard 4x4 system on my WK2 be more than sufficient for snow and some small trails? Thanks in advance.

SMG1 04-25-2012 09:34 PM

Re: Was not getting Quadra-Trac II a mistake?

How much snow and what kind of trails (fire roads?) are you talking?

rangersgiants 04-25-2012 09:49 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but QT-I in the wk2 doesn't allow you to switch the car to 4 Low. I think QT-I is sufficient for snow and basic dirt trails. I just wouldn't go scaling mountains or driving in a blizzard. The QT-II or QD-II is technically better technology.

ColdCase 04-25-2012 10:00 PM

QT-I, with its traction control, is excellent in snow and on mild logging trails. Not so good for HD off roading. An experienced driver with decent tires can do most anything, however.

If you intend to drive routinely in snow, get yourself good snow tires, the OEMs do not do that well. A better All Terrain (AT) tire would also help a lot off road and would be much better in snow. Try to stay away from deep mud regardless.

JeepMonster 04-25-2012 10:02 PM

I'm in Virginia so not too much snow maybe a couple of inches and yeah probably some old fire roads (although I still have to find some around here)

JeepMonster 04-25-2012 10:03 PM

awesome, thanks for the advice ColdCase!

REALM 04-25-2012 11:24 PM

If you mainly do road driving or light trails you're fine, and potentially more reliable long term since qt-1 is single speed and less complex.

benjeeper 06-20-2012 08:30 PM

QT I is a viscous coupling type. A constant 48/52 torque split between the front and rear axle. It became a single speed TC in the mercedes era. Considering the torque split , the rear will loose track first and the front will take over to regain control. Very effective with driver throttle input on snowy road. On dry pavement, both axle are activated.

QT II transfer torque to the rear axle on dry pavement and send torque to the front as soon as the rear slip.

QTI = Wear if not maintained. Need constant tire pressure check.
QtII = Need proper fluid. No generic ATF Only ATF4 type
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMonster (Post 619231)
I feel like everyone has the option to switch into Sport, Snow, etc but since this is my first Jeep I'm not as familiar with how capable the Quadra-Trac I system is vs the II. Will the standard 4x4 system on my WK2 be more than sufficient for snow and some small trails? Thanks in advance.

JeepJunkie 06-20-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangersgiants (Post 619256)
I just wouldn't go scaling mountains or driving in a blizzard.

I'll be out driving around just for fun in the next blzzard with QT1 (whenever that is-- its 100 degrees out right now).

ColdCase 06-21-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjeeper (Post 645906)
QT I is a viscous coupling type.

Not correct, for the WK2, where there are now three case variations. None of the WK2 cases contain viscous couplings, however. Viscous couplings are for cars. Some WK2 cases use clutch packs (similar to an automatic transmission) instead.

The standard MP2010 QT I transfer case is a simple open center diff type.

The STR-8 MP3010 case, also called QT I, has a clutch pack and computer control.

The optional MP 3023 QT-II case has a clutch pack, computer control, low range, and neutral.

All vehicle have brake traction control.

JRNYC 06-21-2012 09:33 AM

Small trails and snow = yes. quadra trac 1 will work great.

tnjeep 06-22-2012 04:27 AM

When I was shopping around (and building on the net) my Laredo, I was a little confused on the 4wd systems. I don't really plan on taking my Jeep up mountain trails anytime soon but when it gets some years on it there is a good chance it may be my hunting rig so I wanted something with 4WD low. Plus I have always owned 4wd's and never had one without 4wd low. Here is a link to some information on the different 4wd systems and from what I can tell there is no major difference in the two systems except the QTII can send power to front or rear axle at different amounts and has 4low. The QTI still has the brack traction control and I am willing to bet you can take it to 99.9% of the places that the QTII or Quadra Drive would go. Main thing is the tires you are running and driver skill.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm