Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Towing question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/towing-question-41282.html)

letsgomets 04-26-2012 03:55 PM

Towing question

I have a v6 Laredo with no towing package and I will have to tow a car from Los Angeles home to Seattle (through one somewhat high northern California mountain pass) later this summer. I know the towing capacity for the v6 is 5,000 lbs but I don't know what else I can expect. I've never towed anything before (never had a reason to) and wonder if my wk2 will be ok doing it? Is there anything I need to do beforehand (other than get a trailer hitch put on)? Will I be bottoming out in the back from the weight of the car/trailer? Any info anybody can help me with for this towing newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Yadkin 04-26-2012 05:26 PM

Re: Towing question

Will you be using a two wheeled dolly or a trailer?

BManz 04-26-2012 06:58 PM

If you have the towing package, you'll have load-leveling shocks and do just fine. The real issue is what is the total weight you're towing and does the trailer have electronic brakes? It's one thing to pull a load, quite another to stop one safely and trailer brakes are a MUST especially when towing mountainous terrain. If it's a full trailer, the trailer weight would likely be ~2000-2500lbs plus of course add the towed vehicle weight to that. A lot of small cars are 3000-3500lbs so you would be right at or beyond the V6's rating with a full car trailer. If you use a tow dolly and you're under the 5000lb max, just ensure you have you tires filled properly and the add-on brake lights and that the dolly is hooked up by a professional since you've never towed before.

And, on THAT note (not towing before), drive with a LOT of space between you and the vehicle in front of you and take it easy. Stopping on level road, wind, stopping on a downgrade, etc. will give you some white knuckle time since it's your first time. Do some reading too and be careful!

letsgomets 04-26-2012 11:33 PM

I'm guessing it will be a flatbed carrier so all 4 wheels off ground. I'll probably just rent a u-haul car carrier so I don't know if it will have trailer brakes or not. Total weight im guessing will be between 3,000 and 4,000 lbs (its a newly restored Delorean).

gaidin43 04-27-2012 06:54 AM

Aren't those cars extremely heavy to begin with?

padgett 04-27-2012 07:25 AM

Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure it is a good receiver rated for at least 5,000 lbs. I have towed a lot more with less.

The Laredo standard suspension is considered fine by Jeep (I asked) up to 5,000 lbs - only the 4x4 gets the load levelling rear shocks.

Dry weight of Delorean is about 2800 lbs, about the same as a Fiero.

If using a four wheel trailer, I'd put it on backwards to get more weight on the front, want about 10% of the total on the hitch & Delorean is 35/65. Trailer should have its own brakes.

Make sure the receiver bar has enough drop (will depend on the hitch) so that the trailer is level.

Is it a Big Lots car ?

Yadkin 04-27-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgomets (Post 620009)
I'm guessing it will be a flatbed carrier so all 4 wheels off ground. I'll probably just rent a u-haul car carrier so I don't know if it will have trailer brakes or not. Total weight im guessing will be between 3,000 and 4,000 lbs (its a newly restored Delorean).

U-Haul has an online application where you plug in your vehicle along with what you'll be towing. I'd advise you to check it out now. They will not rent you the equipment if this application doesn't approve your combination.

A year ago I hauled a 2005 Ford Mustang with a U-Haul flat bed from Asheville NC on I40, which includes a long, steep downgrade with several truck emergency run-outs. Those trailers are heavy and they track well. My towing vehicle was an 07 Expedition which has a 10,000# capacity and believe me, I was very glad that I didn't have a smaller vehicle.

letsgomets 04-27-2012 09:08 AM

Thanks for all your help. My Laredo is 4x4 so i'm hoping that will help. I will check out that u-haul site for sure.

Yadkin 04-27-2012 09:10 AM

My Expedition was 4x4 as well. ;)

Hertz rents Ford F250s for $180/ day. That may be a better option.