Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   1st Oil Change Disaster (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/1st-oil-change-disaster-41312.html)

azjeep 04-27-2012 09:27 AM

1st Oil Change Disaster

So I've been changing oil on numerous vehicles over the last 40 plus years now. I put 7 new quarts of Mobil 1 in the wife's new GC along with a new Mopar filter at the 3000 mile mark. Everything went well and I was impressed with the ease of access to the drain plug and filter. Little to no mess and done in about 30 minutes. I reset the service reminder and start the GC. About 5 seconds after start I hear a wooshing sound from the engine and notice 20 psi on the pressure display and dropping rapidly. :eek: I turn the engine off and find a large pool of $7 a quart Mobil 1 on the garage floor. WTF? I inspect the drain plug, it's fine and notice the filter is dripping with oil. I pull the filter and inspect it. A section of the gasket has a noticable dent in it. Still WTF. I compare it to the old filter and confirm it's the correct part number. But wait, something isn't right with the old filter. It's missing the gasket. Then out of nowhere, the old gasket falls to the garage floor from the filter mounting pad. It had stuck to the block when I removed it and the new filter couldn't seal properly. I put a new filter on and another $56 worth of Mobil 1 and all is fine. The garage floor is wasted but nothing that won't clean up. Embarrassing for this old dog:o

Earthmover 04-27-2012 09:55 AM

Re: 1st Oil Change Disaster

Have had that happen also but fortunately caught it before reinstalling the filter

Now I check every change just in case but don't think it has happened since

BuckeyeSRT 04-27-2012 01:09 PM

Oh man I am so sorry to hear that. You should have searched here first. Lots of people have had the filter gasket stick when doing the first oil change. I know that doesn't help you now. Sorry.

kkreit01 04-27-2012 02:11 PM

Yikes! You just did a very expensive, unwanted, flush.

Angler 04-27-2012 02:35 PM

Sorry to hear that. When I take the old filter off the engine block the very first thing I do is make sure the gasket is still on the used filter. If it is not I begin a search, starting with the mating surface for the gasket on the block until it is found. The new filter goes on only AFTER the old gasket has been located regardless of where it might be.

HammFist 04-27-2012 04:59 PM

Been there, done that, on a previous car. I also learned to check for the filter gasket after about 40 years of changing oil. Bottom line is, the old filters didn't do that -- and the new ones shouldn't.

sbraun 04-27-2012 05:39 PM

Look on the bright side. That will never happen to you again. Experience is a wonderful teacher. On my first oil change for my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 V6 I thought I could pour the Mobile 1 into the small oil fill tube on the side of the schroud with out a funnel. I ended up putting more oil ON the engine and the garage floor than INTO the engine.

Onroad 04-27-2012 05:45 PM

I have had the same happen in the past too. :(.

A side bar note for those that do your own oil change, keep records and receipts while under warranty. A friend had interal engine failure while under warranty and had to show proof that oil was changed in accordance to manufacture.

BobsWK2 04-27-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azjeep (Post 620126)
So I've been changing oil on numerous vehicles over the last 40 plus years now. I put 7 new quarts of Mobil 1 in the wife's new GC along with a new Mopar filter at the 3000 mile mark. Everything went well and I was impressed with the ease of access to the drain plug and filter. Little to no mess and done in about 30 minutes. I reset the service reminder and start the GC. About 5 seconds after start I hear a wooshing sound from the engine and notice 20 psi on the pressure display and dropping rapidly. :eek: I turn the engine off and find a large pool of $7 a quart Mobil 1 on the garage floor. WTF? I inspect the drain plug, it's fine and notice the filter is dripping with oil. I pull the filter and inspect it. A section of the gasket has a noticable dent in it. Still WTF. I compare it to the old filter and confirm it's the correct part number. But wait, something isn't right with the old filter. It's missing the gasket. Then out of nowhere, the old gasket falls to the garage floor from the filter mounting pad. It had stuck to the block when I removed it and the new filter couldn't seal properly. I put a new filter on and another $56 worth of Mobil 1 and all is fine. The garage floor is wasted but nothing that won't clean up. Embarrassing for this old dog:o

The oil filter that comes installed on the V8 must have been torqued down to at least 75 lbs. ft. since it sounds like the gasket always sticks to the filter boss housing. The gasket on mine was also stuck to the housing. I'm surprised the filter boss threads weren't stripped. As others mentioned, you probably won't make that mistake again.

azjeep 04-28-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 620397)
The oil filter that comes installed on the V8 must have been torqued down to at least 75 lbs. ft. since it sounds like the gasket always sticks to the filter boss housing. The gasket on mine was also stuck to the housing. I'm surprised the filter boss threads weren't stripped. As others mentioned, you probably won't make that mistake again.

Very true! I've never experienced this on any vehicle until now

Lingohocken 04-28-2012 02:04 PM

Sorry for your mess! Never heard of this before, and I used to work after school at a service station changing oil, doing repairs and the like. But your woes serve as a useful lesson to some of the rest of us, so thanks for sharing.:)

lharrell79 04-28-2012 08:42 PM

Ahahahahahah, you bring back painful memories. My first vehicle was an 88 Ford Ranger. I did the exact same thing. Changed the oil, filled her up, and backed out of the garage. When I looked back forward into the garage, it looked like the Exxon Valdez had run aground in my garage. Oil freaking everywhere. I get out, and look under the truck, and it's covered from the front to the back dripping with oil. On the bright side, I had good enough oil pressure to spray half the garage, and the entire underneath of the little ranger.

So, I started over by pulling the filter, and sure enough, the old gasket was stuck to the block. It was a great learning lesson. From that day forth, I always check the new filter for a gasket before I leave the auto store, and then check the old filter for it's gasket when I take it off the vehicle.

We learn from our mistakes, and you've now learned the lesson of the "bastard oil filter gasket". :lol::lol::lol: