Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   performance heatwrapping (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/performance-heatwrapping-41328.html)

WKX2 04-27-2012 02:47 PM

performance heatwrapping
 
Finally got a pic of my heatwrapped CAI. Wanted to post in case others want to try this mod.

The heatwrap is from origin motorsports 2" x 50' $26.98 shipped (eBay)
comes with 8 stainless steel zip ties, they needed to be connected to form 4 larger steel ties to fit around CAI.

The material is made of a silicate based fiber that is coated to resist high temps, and can be used for exhaust, headers, turbo manifold, downpipes, etc.. basically whatever you want to isolate from engine heat.

http://i47.tinypic.com/34tej6a.jpg

I think the overall job looks good, and most importantly I've noticed a better throttle response over longer trips since installing (3 150 mile trips this week) the throttle response seems to occur over 4k RPM, and provided plenty of oomph to get over the 8500' altitude hills between where I live and Denver. My rig was previously sluggish and I had to kick it into cruise control to not lose speed before the CAI and heatwrap. This will only improve after the FRP TB mod I plan to get soon..

Only recommendations I have is to wear long sleeves and nitrile or mech gloves as the fibers will get all over your skin and arms (and engine) and is a real PITA to get off skin....not too mention annoying as hell.

I have a bit left over that I'm considering using on the coolant pipe from the rad to the engine, anyone recommend or NOT recommend this?

Thanks for reading, HTH. :thumbsup:

WKX2 04-28-2012 01:20 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
well gents, I went ahead and wrapped it anyway. if nothing else it looks great...

FlyinRyan 04-28-2012 02:13 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Did you wet it prior to wrapping?

I've had good results with wrap.

jlewissystem 04-28-2012 03:03 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
i suport your heatwrap, although i wanted to get some numbers (before and after) to measure the difference it makes. Cant hurt and does look cool! Good job dood :D

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_1072.jpg

FlyinRyan 04-29-2012 08:49 AM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlewissystem (Post 620762)
i suport your heatwrap, although i wanted to get some numbers (before and after) to measure the difference it makes. Cant hurt and does look cool! Good job dood :D

I was able to datalog IATs in my DD Honda with/without wrap. Regardless of location of the airfilter, the wrap consistently pulled cooler IATs and was slower to heat soak (in comparison to plastic unwrapped) when stopped in traffic. My IAT was pulling readings from the aluminum manifold plenum, not the intake tube.

Madanio24 05-01-2012 10:56 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WKX2 (Post 620292)
Finally got a pic of my heatwrapped CAI. Wanted to post in case others want to try this mod.

The heatwrap is from origin motorsports 2" x 50' $26.98 shipped (eBay)
comes with 8 stainless steel zip ties, they needed to be connected to form 4 larger steel ties to fit around CAI.

The material is made of a silicate based fiber that is coated to resist high temps, and can be used for exhaust, headers, turbo manifold, downpipes, etc.. basically whatever you want to isolate from engine heat.

http://i47.tinypic.com/34tej6a.jpg

I think the overall job looks good, and most importantly I've noticed a better throttle response over longer trips since installing (3 150 mile trips this week) the throttle response seems to occur over 4k RPM, and provided plenty of oomph to get over the 8500' altitude hills between where I live and Denver. My rig was previously sluggish and I had to kick it into cruise control to not lose speed before the CAI and heatwrap. This will only improve after the FRP TB mod I plan to get soon..

Only recommendations I have is to wear long sleeves and nitrile or mech gloves as the fibers will get all over your skin and arms (and engine) and is a real PITA to get off skin....not too mention annoying as hell.

I have a bit left over that I'm considering using on the coolant pipe from the rad to the engine, anyone recommend or NOT recommend this?

Thanks for reading, HTH. :thumbsup:

How did you mount your air charge sensor? I would very much like to remove that big black box.

WKX2 05-05-2012 01:30 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 622846)
How did you mount your air charge sensor? I would very much like to remove that big black box.

it's hard to see in the pic but the sensor is mounted to the CAI tube from the bottom, held in place with some JB Weld. I then wound the thermal wrap around it. I'll try to get a better pic if you are interested in seeing it...

Madanio24 05-05-2012 03:20 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WKX2 (Post 625015)
it's hard to see in the pic but the sensor is mounted to the CAI tube from the bottom, held in place with some JB Weld. I then wound the thermal wrap around it. I'll try to get a better pic if you are interested in seeing it...

Yes please, I would very much like to remove the 3.7 black box and replace it like yours.

omelet 05-05-2012 06:32 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
I did something similar to mine! I wrapped the tube on my Volant and also covered the sides of the box that face the engine.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/2c61ac02.jpg

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/IMG_7356.jpg

Seems to work pretty good and looks sweet too!

WKX2 05-08-2012 03:37 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
Looks good Ramrod.. Is that dynomat on your volant? What type of filter are you running in there?

It might be time for some professional battery terminals on that yellow top. I'm in a project right now running 6gauge + and - from the battery to then inside (under the dash) to distribution blocks; from there it will divide into 8 12volt sources each. I'm ripping the cig lighter adapters off my gps, phone charger, fog light switch, etc and running directly to the distribution blocks to get rid of all the cables running all over the place. Will post pics/write-ups when finished..

omelet 05-08-2012 04:30 PM

Thanks bud! It's not dynomat, I actually don't remember what it is or where I got it :) I bought it years ago for my XJ to do the same thing. It is a reflective heat shield with a type of sticker foam back. It seems to work pretty good with the cool tape! Right now I am running the Volant filter that the kit came with along with a K&N DryCharger. I plan to swap out the filter for a dry type soon though.

My wiring on the battery might not look too pretty, but it gets the job done. The two large cables are for the winch and the BlueSea aux fuse box. The other one is for the ARB compressor, it draws too much for the aux box to handle. All of my other accessories are wired through the aux box and their own relays. There is quite a bit going on on this thing :D

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...g/30570e1f.jpg

WKX2 05-08-2012 05:46 PM

Re: performance heatwrapping
 
whoa, quite a bit going on indeed I'd say the job is def getting done. I wish I had the room for my distro box next to the battery too.

If I had the winch + stereo amps, & all the accessories I'd be running a high amperage isolator and 2 of those yellow tops. Sorry for the OT :slapfight:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community