Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   STUCK IN SAND with 4WD malfunction (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stuck-in-sand-with-4wd-malfunction-41410.html)

icrisps 04-29-2012 05:27 AM

STUCK IN SAND with 4WD malfunction

My JGC Overland (AUS) is only 1 week old and I was loving every aspect of it :D until I got bogged down in sand with the message flashing 'Service 4wd' :eek: . Till then I was driving in Sand under the 'sand and mud' mode. A Prado had to rescue my dear GC (to my utter shame) but only to get bogged down again and again because the 4wd didn't seem to engage. My tire pressure was 15psi. Once out of sand, ( had to be towed my the Prado for 1km) the error message disappeared and it is driving fine ! I haven't rung Jeep Assist as the problem rectified by itself by the time I got mobile phone reception.
Any else has had similar issues ?

Lucas J 04-29-2012 09:05 AM

Re: STUCK IN SAND with 4WD malfunction

Bring it back to the dealer regardless. If for nothing else but to have a record of the incedent.

JeepJunkie 04-29-2012 08:29 PM

First of all, kudos to you for taking your brand new Jeep out to play in the sand. :thumbsup:

How long were you out there for before it quit on you? I've only driven on the sand once, in a Wrangler, and after an hour or so of hard driving I could SMELL things overheating (differentials, transfer case, who knows what).

My amateur guess is something started overheating (like the clutch pack center diff?) and the GC stepped in to avoid permanent damage. Just my best guess.

LeCheese 04-29-2012 11:12 PM

Hey,
I've read about this with the new WK2 before from a few other people (not sure if it was on here or another forum) but you are not alone! I read that the exact same thing happened, where the service 4wd light came on, but then it went off again soon after. Some fixes i've heard is that when the light comes on, restart the car. If that doesnt work some people have had success by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes (which resets the system). I would take it to your dealer (which one by the way?) and let them know of the problem. I own a WK2 also and havent taken it offroad yet but when we do go to straddie at some point this year i really hope it doesnt happen! Props for taken yours on the sand when it was so young too :thumbsup:

savvas 04-29-2012 11:57 PM

Jeep Australia officially launched the CRD version of the WK2 Grand Cherokee on Moreton Island last year.

Surely at an all day event on sand with something like 10 new CRD GCs on hand, at least one of them would have had this problem.

icrisps 04-30-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 621467)
Jeep Australia officially launched the CRD version of the WK2 Grand Cherokee on Moreton Island last year.

Surely at an all day event on sand with something like 10 new CRD GCs on hand, at least one of them would have had this problem.

True...it means this problem is not as common as 1 in 10 but certainly has been reported on many forums a few times. In fact at the same venue.. but obviously is a coincidence.

Apparently there is a way to interogate the hardware and that may give an answer.

Will post an update once I have a chance to get it checked by the service team (Newcastle).

Thanks to everyone for the comments

icrisps 04-30-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepJunkie (Post 621380)
First of all, kudos to you for taking your brand new Jeep out to play in the sand. :thumbsup:

How long were you out there for before it quit on you? I've only driven on the sand once, in a Wrangler, and after an hour or so of hard driving I could SMELL things overheating (differentials, transfer case, who knows what).

My amateur guess is something started overheating (like the clutch pack center diff?) and the GC stepped in to avoid permanent damage. Just my best guess.

A few hours but driving for only 1-2hrs. I guess I may ahve an answer from the tech.

Gribbs 04-30-2012 06:08 AM

Definitely a faulty module, one of my mates said it was a $5 part they replaced one his when it happened (also in Newcastle). I'm trying to figure put if it is partially driver error too, as the few people I know have had it happen to them are not very experienced sand drivers. In our circle of friends, four JFK owners, mine is the only one that hasn't has any issues, but I've also had five previous Fourbys, the rest Are on thier first. None of the, can recall if they were on high or low range, or if it happened by not engaging neutral first

Let me know what the dealer tells you, I assume you are seeing hunter prestige motors at Gateshead?

Ps, mine is the mineral grey Laredo getting around town, Crd.

icrisps 04-30-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gribbs (Post 621529)
Definitely a faulty module, one of my mates said it was a $5 part they replaced one his when it happened (also in Newcastle). I'm trying to figure put if it is partially driver error too, as the few people I know have had it happen to them are not very experienced sand drivers. In our circle of friends, four JFK owners, mine is the only one that hasn't has any issues, but I've also had five previous Fourbys, the rest Are on thier first. None of the, can recall if they were on high or low range, or if it happened by not engaging neutral first

Let me know what the dealer tells you, I assume you are seeing hunter prestige motors at Gateshead?

Thanks for your comments mate... Hopefully the mob in Gateshead will figure it out and I can share the wisdom...

Mendo 04-30-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gribbs (Post 621529)

I also have had no problem, I agree user error might bring forth underlying problems. This car needs more care than more basic 4x4's might but I found it very capable. In really soft sand I found I had to go to low more than I used to in my Prado to get the engine to hold a decent revs.

I always shifted to neutral before engaging low. I used both sand and auto modes. The one issue I did have was my ESC warning light would come on (in addition to the ESC off light) I believe is was due to blocked sensors by sand because once we went through water it fixed itself.

Looking forward to hearing some conclusive results regarding this to give us all the confidence to get back out there (without tow hooks!)

moosehead 04-30-2012 09:54 AM

Dunecrawler had something similar go down on the sand and got it squared away by his dealer overseas. A few threads here.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2nd-breakdown-in-just-over-2-weeks-16191.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/4wd-system-works-again-17797.html

jgiuliani 05-02-2012 03:06 PM

I have the same issue with my 2012 Laredo X. here is a post on another forum regarding the matter. Still no word from Jeep on a fix, they're dragging their feet. Very disappointing for a "Trail Rated" vehicle...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...v-4wd-1345070/