Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Bringing Dogs along for trips (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/bringing-dogs-along-for-trips-41447.html)

JeepMonster 04-29-2012 08:58 PM

Bringing Dogs along for trips

To everyone who has a dog(s). When you take trips and the dogs come along do you leave them in the back, put the seats down, put a liner down....? My dog tends to get sick when I drive (not be cause of the way I drive I swear :)) so trying to figure out a good option.

Aiyer 04-29-2012 09:42 PM

Re: Bringing Dogs along for trips

For most of my trips, I take my dog along. He loves to be in the rear seat and stick his head out of the right side window. But, now with out baby seat in the rear middle, he does not like it since there is not much room for him. So, he is just as happy to be in the back of the jeep these days. He is about 85-90 lbs. I did a 14 day trip with him before we had our daughter and I folded one rear (right side) seat down and put his bed in the back.. He was happy to be able to kinda walk around in the back, take a nap or stick his head out of the window. Even on our camping trips in the mountains, he does not get sick. But, we like to stop every few hours and let him out. I guess that helps him a bit.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_0389.jpg

JeepMonster 04-29-2012 09:56 PM

thanks for the tips and the hilarious picture!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 621422)
For most of my trips, I take my dog alone. He loves to be in the rear seat and stick his head out of the right side window. But, now with out baby seat in the rear middle, he does not like it since there is not much room for him. So, he is just as happy to be in the back of the jeep these days. He is about 85-90 lbs. I did a 14 day trip with him before we had our daughter and I folded one rear (right side) seat down and put his bed in the back.. He was happy to be able to kinda walk around in the back, take a nap or stick his head out of the window. Even on our camping trips in the mountains, he does not get sick. But, we like to stop every few hours and let him out. I guess that helps him a bit.

mzimand 04-29-2012 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a car seat for my puppy. He loves being my copilot. The seat is a booster type

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Robert Palmer 04-30-2012 12:17 AM

Kudos to you guys/gals who let the dogs in the car. I sure as hell wouldnt do that.

Been through that already. Slober on the windows along with nose prints and hair.

No thanks. lol

fourwheelin7 04-30-2012 07:02 AM

Yea I just put my seats down in back, as far as protection I have the Jeep cargo mat and the part it doesn't cover I have a blanket down with a dog bed. My dog loves it, only downfall not very secure for the dog if there happen to be an accident or something.

Aiyer 04-30-2012 09:59 AM

I should also add that i reduce the bass completely from the audio setup since the subwoofer is in the cargo area.

1200RT-P 04-30-2012 03:31 PM

My dogs ride in the back ("trunk"), no exceptions. I've had a barrier between the trunk and passenger area in past cars, but haven't needed one in in the GC.

moosehead 04-30-2012 03:38 PM

+rep for the great dog goggle photo.

MikeBoom 04-30-2012 03:47 PM

Dogs are a big part of why I have a GC. We've got an 8-year-old golden retriever who always got nervous and often sick in the back of our car. At some point, we took possession of our son's old 4Runner and his mixed breed shelter dog, who has always been eager to "go for a ride!"

I don't know if it was the greater comfort of being in back of an SUV with the seats folded, or having the companionship of a pup who loved riding, but somehow this combination cured our golden retriever of his carsickness. Praise the lord!

Anyway, the key to happiness is the Canvasback liner I've got in the back. It completely covers the floor and the rear seatbacks; even after a day of running around in the woods and becoming completely muddy and wet, it protects the interior. A vacuuming and a thorough wipe down with a soaked cloth restores the liner to like-new appearance. I admit that it pains me a bit to get the back of my beautiful Overland so messy, but I also have to remind myself that it's an SUV--a doggoned Jeep!--and God intended for us to get them dirty from time to time. ;)

As for the sick pup, I'd suggest cutting down on his food before travel and opening the windows. You can get a prescription motion sickness pill for your dog, but I hated what it did to ours--he was doped up for a whole day after taking it. Not fair to the poor guy.

JeepMonster 04-30-2012 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info Mike, the Canvasback liner looks nice I think I'm going to pick one up. Did you opt for the side pieces?

We tried the motion sickness medicine, it worked. But like you I felt bad and the dog didn't seem the same. In the past I've just put the AC on but I'll try opening the windows as well. I'm thinking the pup will enjoy the entire backseat of the Jeep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBoom (Post 621771)
Dogs are a big part of why I have a GC. We've got an 8-year-old golden retriever who always got nervous and often sick in the back of our car. At some point, we took possession of our son's old 4Runner and his mixed breed shelter dog, who has always been eager to "go for a ride!"

I don't know if it was the greater comfort of being in back of an SUV with the seats folded, or having the companionship of a pup who loved riding, but somehow this combination cured our golden retriever of his carsickness. Praise the lord!

Anyway, the key to happiness is the Canvasback liner I've got in the back. It completely covers the floor and the rear seatbacks; even after a day of running around in the woods and becoming completely muddy and wet, it protects the interior. A vacuuming and a thorough wipe down with a soaked cloth restores the liner to like-new appearance. I admit that it pains me a bit to get the back of my beautiful Overland so messy, but I also have to remind myself that it's an SUV--a doggoned Jeep!--and God intended for us to get them dirty from time to time. ;)

As for the sick pup, I'd suggest cutting down on his food before travel and opening the windows. You can get a prescription motion sickness pill for your dog, but I hated what it did to ours--he was doped up for a whole day after taking it. Not fair to the poor guy.

Aiyer 04-30-2012 04:20 PM

I like the Canvasback liners... thanks for the suggestion, MikeBoom! I might order one before we start our camping trips this summer. My dog loves to play in streams and lakes... might come useful.