Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Buying 07 GC overland What should I lookout for? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/buying-07-gc-overland-what-should-i-lookout-for-41449.html)

torque-head 04-29-2012 09:12 PM

Buying 07 GC overland What should I lookout for?

Hey guys, this will be my 1st GC and what should I check for before buying?

Verminator 04-29-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Buying 07 GC overland What should I lookout for?

4x4? Quadra-Drive II?

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-30-2012 12:12 AM

try to find an 08, much better than 07 inside and out

torque-head 04-30-2012 01:18 AM

I think it is QD2 and yes 4x4

torque-head 04-30-2012 01:18 AM

Whats diff on the 08

Verminator 04-30-2012 01:37 AM

http://www.wkjeeps.com/2008_intro.htm
The headlights, some body work, some interior electronic stuff...but I think for the most part, the Hemi stayed the same 2007-2008 and QD-II is the same 2005-2010.

dmsfun 04-30-2012 08:49 AM

All maintenance and repair records are vital. Typically, front diff mounts go bad, trans cooling lines leak and need replacement, along with leaking exhaust manifolds, which are all costly to get done. Shocks, and sway bar end links and bushings go bad in short order too. IF those were all adressed and the Hemi is not running up to snuff, it is usually easy and cheap to remedy, as the 5.7 is very robust. If either of the diff's are whining, look elsewhere, as they can be very costly to repair.

torque-head 05-01-2012 01:55 AM

It has 66,000 on it and it looks and drive great. During inspection they (dealer) replaced the trans lines, power steering hose and the cat which was leaking. I thought it was the exhaust manifolds. I looked up the car fax and auto check and nothing came up but the current repairs and some module was flashed in 07 under recall. I tried calling a few dealer to have service records pulled, but only other info they have was some oil changes done.
The Hemi runs good, but it doesn't have the punch that I thought it should. I thought I might be the way they geared it. We have a Ram 1500 with the hemi at work that seems to have a bit more punch to it. Not sure if it is far to compare

Verminator 05-01-2012 01:58 AM

I agree with dmsfun on things to check. Actually, when I bought my Hemi in January, I overlooked the front diff mount and ended up having to pay for the repair when I discovered it later. It only was a problem letting off the gas at a very low partial throttle around 45 mph.

HEMI35 05-01-2012 09:31 AM

hereīs my 2 cents: 08 GC received a lift in front (bumper upgrade). 09 GC received an engine upgrade giving you +20 hp. I wanted to buy an overland GC, but my wife didnīt like the seats color, nor the wood everywhere, so I bought a 07 GC hemi. I donīt know what you mean that it doesnīt have the punch you need/expect, mine flies on the highway. Usually sellers donīt know how to sell a car with hemi, when I bought mine, the seller made a little room for run on the street, and stepped the pedal to the metal. After a couple of second I was screaming "ok, ok, stop, stop!!". If you stay the jeep in park, and start accelerating, thatīs nothing compared with what actually does. I would add to go below the jeep and visually check the metals, mine had small problem that I had to deal with, because I didnīt look below the jeep. I remember there was a mechanic pro service at KBB that check cars and list you all the problems (donīt know if it is still available).

dmsfun 05-01-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque-head (Post 622181)
It has 66,000 on it and it looks and drive great. During inspection they (dealer) replaced the trans lines, power steering hose and the cat which was leaking. I thought it was the exhaust manifolds. I looked up the car fax and auto check and nothing came up but the current repairs and some module was flashed in 07 under recall. I tried calling a few dealer to have service records pulled, but only other info they have was some oil changes done.
The Hemi runs good, but it doesn't have the punch that I thought it should. I thought I might be the way they geared it. We have a Ram 1500 with the hemi at work that seems to have a bit more punch to it. Not sure if it is far to compare

If it doesnt have punch, it probably is due for new plugs (every 30k), check the air filter, and the throttle body is probably all gunked up and needs cleaning, which is easy to do and makes a big difference. Give it a full seafoam tratment too, and it will drive much better.

torque-head 05-01-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks guys for all the great info ......

Hemi35.... what do u mean metal problems? ???

Like i said im comparing it to a ram 1500 with a hemi and not sure if that is fare to compair them two.