Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Transmission over temp???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transmission-over-temp-41454.html)

cookr 04-29-2012 10:50 PM

Transmission over temp????

Hey guys,

I am new to this site and was hoping that you all might be able to shed some light on my problem. I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. In the last week or two in the information center below the tach I will often get a message that says transmission over temp. When that message is displayed the car does not shift properly. The up shifts and down shifts are rough and it seems to be searching for what gear it needs to be in. Also the the electric fan will remain on as long as the transmission over temp message is displayed. I have checked the transmission fluid and it is full and still the right color. Also the transmission is less than a year old. We did a rebuild on it for a different reason. Also, I don't know if this is related to the transmission over temp message but sometimes for the first start up of the day I will start it up and back out of the driveway. As a I change from reverse to drive and then step on the gas it will sometimes just shut off. I can then start it right back up and it will never do that again the whole day. Any ideas.....?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2005JGC 04-30-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Transmission over temp????

When is the message coming on? is it after driving for a while or just randomly like 3 minutes after starting the jeep kinda thing? This will help to determine if its an erroneous message (sensor failing) or more likely to be an actual problem...

Did you guys flush the cooler when you rebuilt the transmission? Your cooler could be plugged/not fully functional with debris from whatever trans failure you had. All the other symptoms sound like normal overtemp strategy so I would focus on why the lamp is coming on before worrying about the other things.

You may be starting to have an egr issue, seems alot of people have cured random stalling and idle quality by replacing a dying EGR valve. Ultimately the only way for you to actually test this would be to
remove and plug the EGR tube from the intake manifold. IF you do this you MUST unplug your EGR valve while driving around, you will get a CEL but you don't want it opening up while cruising down the road dumping hot exhaust at wiring harnesses and sensors in your engine bay.

I have also heard people saying a stalling concern has been repaired by filling the trans properly (it was low). I am not sure how the computer logic works here and I really don't know how that would cause a die out but the one or 2 I have read mention that swore they had not died since. Having said that and having seen you say it was full, are you checking the level properly (destructions on the dipstick).

Also a throttle postion sensor is a VERY common failure on the 4.7l that can cause shifting concerns, idle flairs and I have seen it cause a dieout before.