Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   "Glass Jaw" front bumper (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/glass-jaw-front-bumper-41484.html)

DanS 04-30-2012 05:12 PM

"Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
After two recent slow-speed (under 40kph) kangaroo collisions :(, I have to say that the WK2 Grand Cherokee has a very tender front end. In addition to tearing holes in the plastic bumper, broken grill slats and broken mounting tabs, I also now have a "check engine" light because the outside air temperature sensor is located just behind the bumper. My older 2000 Grand Cherokee has a much tougher (and certainly heavier) plastic bumper. Looks like an ECB bull bar the only practical solution for the 2011 model (reportedly it cannot be fitted to the 2012). Note: no kangaroos died during the making of this post :thumbsup:- but they must surely have headaches. Unfortunately, that means they're still out there - only stupider :eek:.

Mendo 04-30-2012 05:25 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Nothing like running over our coat of arms driving down the main street of our nation's capital

I do like that bar, had it on order but with 2012 i cancelled it. I haven't followed up to see if they have re-engineered the mounts.

savvas 04-30-2012 06:23 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
But really, how's that different to any current 4WD wagon on the Aussie market?

ECB have the bar ready for 2012 models now. http://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?productid=9599

fix69er 04-30-2012 06:39 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
I like the ECB one. The factory fog lights are covered though. Any one got more photos of ECB bull bar fitted?

GlennR 04-30-2012 07:21 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 621874)
But really, how's that different to any current 4WD wagon on the Aussie market?

ECB have the bar ready for 2012 models now. http://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?productid=9599

Thats a great looking piece of kit. Just added it to my bucket list!! (Not compatible with active cruise control?)

Beerenton 04-30-2012 11:12 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
I assume the bar would interfere with the radar of the active cruise.

I'm super-impressed that that bar has spots for the parking sensors to be installed :)

Escape 04-30-2012 11:53 PM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Now that's a real bumper and you guys need it downunder!

I'm sure any good fab shop could make it fit the radar of the active cruise.

Sege 05-01-2012 02:04 AM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerenton (Post 622117)
I assume the bar would interfere with the radar of the active cruise.

I'm super-impressed that that bar has spots for the parking sensors to be installed :)

Response from ECB today:

Hi James,

In my original email response to you (under additional notes) I indicated to you that Overland Models fitted with adaptive cruise control are not compatible with this bullbar. From conversations that I have had with Jeep dealers and Jeep owners, the adaptive cruise control function is unable to be switched off. Therefore at this time ECB does not have a bar suitable for the Overland model and at this stage has no immediate plans to develop such a bar due to time constraints and constraints imposed by Jeep dealers.

Thanks,

Darren Urda Sales & Customer Service

T: 07 3897 5700 F: 07 3283 1168

29 Snook St Clontarf QLD 4019 Australia

E: info@ecb.com.au

W: www.ecb.com.au

AussieWK2 05-01-2012 02:29 AM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanS (Post 621833)
After two recent slow-speed (under 40kph) kangaroo collisions :(, I have to say that the WK2 Grand Cherokee has a very tender front end. In addition to tearing holes in the plastic bumper, broken grill slats and broken mounting tabs, I also now have a "check engine" light because the outside air temperature sensor is located just behind the bumper. My older 2000 Grand Cherokee has a much tougher (and certainly heavier) plastic bumper. Looks like an ECB bull bar the only practical solution for the 2011 model (reportedly it cannot be fitted to the 2012). Note: no kangaroos died during the making of this post :thumbsup:- but they must surely have headaches. Unfortunately, that means they're still out there - only stupider :eek:.

In contrast, a few months ago we were rear ended by a Barina. The Barina was a write off bucked mid way across the bonnet. She hit our bumper and king hit the chassis end. When we got our to inspect the damage, all we had were a few blemished scratches as the bumper had bounced back. The RACQ inspector was amazed there was no other damage to the GC! Bumper was resprayed and the world quickly returned on its axis.

Not sure about the bullbar, seems to take away from the distinctive "presence" of the GC plus no good for the Overland. Have seen the nudge bar on which does look impressive.

Mendo 05-01-2012 03:25 AM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sege (Post 622187)
Response from ECB today:

Hi James,

In my original email response to you (under additional notes) I indicated to you that Overland Models fitted with adaptive cruise control are not compatible with this bullbar. From conversations that I have had with Jeep dealers and Jeep owners, the adaptive cruise control function is unable to be switched off. Therefore at this time ECB does not have a bar suitable for the Overland model and at this stage has no immediate plans to develop such a bar due to time constraints and constraints imposed by Jeep dealers.

Thanks,

Darren Urda Sales & Customer Service

T: 07 3897 5700 F: 07 3283 1168

29 Snook St Clontarf QLD 4019 Australia

E: info@ecb.com.au

W: www.ecb.com.au

You can actually disable the ACC. When you remove the front bumper the radar sticks out like dogs balls, you you can disable and remove it for 4wding.

I have seen an ECB fitted to an overland - no troubles at all i'm told. just no ACC.

ENFORCER 05-01-2012 03:37 AM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
You can turn off the ACC in the EVIC.

Deserthucker 05-03-2012 08:17 AM

Re: "Glass Jaw" front bumper
 
I could not go without ACC now.

Used shoo roos for 15 years now.
Only hit a roo and feral cat one each when the shoo roos had been stolen.

P.S. the cat done more damage then the roo.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community