Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Getting a Laredo E and need some help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/getting-a-laredo-e-and-need-some-help-41488.html)

pattyballs 04-30-2012 07:04 PM

Getting a Laredo E and need some help

Hey guys,

Sorry for all the noob questions and posts, but i have finally decided on getting the Laredo E. As much as i want to go with the Overland, just not fitting my budget for the time being. So my question to you guys, i plan on taking this thing off roading so i was going to get the Off-Road Adventure package. Is there anything else that i should get too? I was hoping to get the QL system but apperantly there is no way to get it.

So again, any suggestions would be great. Also, when i do get it i plan on setting up some meets over at Smiths Point (Long Island, NY) on the weekends for a little Off Roading and hopefully meet some of you guys.

JeepMonster 04-30-2012 07:27 PM

Re: Getting a Laredo E and need some help

how much off roading will you be doing? I have the Laredo X without the Off road package and I plan on doing some light trails and such- for me that works. If you plan on doing the same I'm sure you'll be fine with what you mentioned.

pattyballs 04-30-2012 07:43 PM

Well this summer it will be light beach/light trails. But next spring i plan on lifting it a little and some new tires to take on some heavier trails. I feel like the skid plates alone are well worth it.

Yadkin 04-30-2012 07:58 PM

Lot of value in that vehicle. Enjoy!

JeepMonster 04-30-2012 08:00 PM

Yeah I think you should be fine then- I plan on doing the same without the skid plates so I think you'll be good.

pattyballs 04-30-2012 09:05 PM

My only concern is dealing with the 130 radio. Has any one swapped the 130 for the 430? Can you give me an aproximate cost?

jgc4ever 04-30-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyballs (Post 622018)
My only concern is dealing with the 130 radio. Has any one swapped the 130 for the 430? Can you give me an aproximate cost?

Someone did it for $500 off of ebay, the 430 with the hard drive, not the one with nav.

Get the security and convenience group - it has an invoice price of $886.

Security And Convenience Group (Laredo)
  • 115v Auxiliary Power Outlet
  • Cargo Compartment Cover
  • Remote Start
  • Rear View Auto Dim Mirror w/ Microphone
  • Security Alarm
  • Uconnect Phone With Voice Command
  • USB Port For Mobile Devices
  • Universal Garage Door Opener

Twilight_Imperium 05-01-2012 03:37 AM

I did the radio swap for $500. It takes a few minutes to install. The tough part is finding the right radio. I was lucky to find one that was pulled from a 2012 Laredo X.

eibyer 05-01-2012 09:27 AM

This is one of my future projects. I will probably go aftermarket because of the difficulty in finding the right radio like Twilight Imperium mentioned. My main goal is to add the rear camera functionality, secondary is the nav features.

Oh and yes, I have the base Laredo also with a couple extra packages that do not relate to the radio :)

pattyballs 05-01-2012 03:20 PM

Hey Twilight, how hard was the install? I have no experience with sound systems or wiring, so i just want to make sure a novice, like myself, can do the install.

Twilight_Imperium 05-02-2012 02:29 AM

If you don't include the back up camera you stated you wanted earlier, all you do is: disconnect the battery under the passenger seat (there is a trap door under the seat, its hard to open) carefully pry off the bezel around the radio and climate controls (i used a small flat head screwdriver wrapped in a cloth), unscrew the 4 screws that hold the radio in, slide the old radio out, unplug the wires (can't confuse them as they are all a unique size), plug the wires into the new one, slide it in, screw in the 4 screws, and reattach the bezel. Took me 10 minutes. If you are looking to add the back up camera, I believe the process is best done by an installer like a dealer as there are some wiring issues that include removing the shifter bezel, rear hatch cover ect. You can get the radio now and add the camera after though. Oh and if you do decide to do the radio yourself, bring you jeep down to the dealer and ask them to add it to your vin options; i guess this is just a security measure.

Yadkin 05-02-2012 07:54 AM

I installed a back-up camera on the wife's 328i a while back. I purchased from modmynav.com. It integrates with the OEM computer screen on the dash by using a video module. A compete plug and play unit. It took me about four hours because I had to basically disassemble then reassemble about half of the interior and trunk.