Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Kn kit not good? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/kn-kit-not-good-41503.html)

Jcronin 04-30-2012 10:59 PM

Kn kit not good?

Just wanting to ask cause I got it put on and I am enjoying it and it seems like nobody is really saying anything about it just really mopar. Did I make a bad decision on getting it?

Pillbucket 05-04-2012 05:58 PM

Re: Kn kit not good?

Do you have a link to the KN setup?

montgb 05-04-2012 06:40 PM

I think the K&N will perform just as well as similarly designed short-ram intakes like AFE and MOPAR.

Jcronin 05-04-2012 10:17 PM

I dont have the link. But it was suppose to give like 11 more hp and it does feel quicker than it was before and has better response.

gopking119 05-05-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcronin (Post 622111)
Just wanting to ask cause I got it put on and I am enjoying it and it seems like nobody is really saying anything about it just really mopar. Did I make a bad decision on getting it?

Just my $.02 - I would never put a K&N filter on my vehicles. The whole point of the K&N filter is to breathe better, but it comes at the expense of inadequate filtration. It simply does not filter as well, which means that dirt, dust, and silt that passes through the filter ends up in your engine and wears it prematurely. Not worth in in my humble opinion.

ColdCase 05-05-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcronin (Post 622111)

Search for something like CAI and you should see plenty of discussion on KN, Volant, Mopar AFE... etc.

Come back in a month and let us know how the vehicle feels. I hear the computer will adjust over time to the original calibration regardless of intake. The sound will remain, however if that's what you are looking for. So the relative merits to the decision depend on what you are looking for.. BTW was that 11 hp claim for the V6 or V8 or both?

Jcronin 05-05-2012 12:35 PM

From what I remember for the v6 but I might be wrong

simstad 05-05-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopking119 (Post 624797)
Just my $.02 - I would never put a K&N filter on my vehicles. The whole point of the K&N filter is to breathe better, but it comes at the expense of inadequate filtration. It simply does not filter as well, which means that dirt, dust, and silt that passes through the filter ends up in your engine and wears it prematurely. Not worth in in my humble opinion.

Haven't purchased the K&N for my 2012 5.7L yet (not on their site), but my 2000 WJ 4.7L has 170K miles with the K&N on from 5K miles and no problems whatsoever. Just clean it every 50K miles, change the engine oil regularly and plugs every 60K. Still runs like a champ.

BuckeyeSRT 05-07-2012 06:31 AM

I am loving mine!
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ighlight=noise

Yeti 05-07-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simstad (Post 625125)
Haven't purchased the K&N for my 2012 5.7L yet (not on their site), but my 2000 WJ 4.7L has 170K miles with the K&N on from 5K miles and no problems whatsoever. Just clean it every 50K miles, change the engine oil regularly and plugs every 60K. Still runs like a champ.

Mine too! :)

I have 170K on mine and I think I installed it at about 50-70K. Never had a problem except it sounds kinda like a Trans Am :lol:

I think I've cleaned it twice. The dirtier they get the better they filter!

Sh4dyBuddha 05-14-2012 05:54 PM

I needed to replace the stock air box and decided to jump on a KN right away, so I don't have stock to compare it too. I will say that it sounds very throaty and impressive- but I am new to Jeep and the Hemi, so it could a combination of things. Regardless, It looks nice and definitely doesn't hurt the acoustics. What model of the KN did you get? I was told by a rep that two different series would fit. I don't remember the other, but I put the 77-1563 KP (chrome)

BuckeyeSRT 05-15-2012 06:25 AM

I forget my model but it has the black plastic tube.