Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Door handle keyless entry help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/door-handle-keyless-entry-help-41542.html)

SouthBayLA24WJ 05-01-2012 08:48 PM

Door handle keyless entry help

This morning I put my hand on the door knob and the keyless entry didn't work. I usually just a tap on the outside of the knob (where it's the same paint color or chrome) to unlock the WK2. I had to put my hand inside the handle in a small spot as it seemed that was the only way for it to work. I drove to the dealer, got it looked at and they told me that the sensor is on the side of the door handle not the outside. It was a little more responsive at the dealer, even then I noticed a larger delay and I tried to tell them just a light tap on the outside of the handle would do the trick. They set me up for an appointment tomorrow morning. What do you guys think? Thy said all they could do was "check for a code" but I definitely notice a difference. I don't care where the sensor is, one finger tap used to do the trick. This is a new Laredo. Thanks guys.

JeepMonster 05-01-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Door handle keyless entry help

Not sure. I usually put my hand on the handle knowing that the sensor is on the inside of the handle that faces the body of the Jeep. Didn't know it would work on the outside as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthBayLA24WJ (Post 622750)
This morning I put my hand on the door knob and the keyless entry didn't work. I usually just a tap on the outside of the knob (where it's the same paint color or chrome) to unlock the WK2. I had to put my hand inside the handle in a small spot as it seemed that was the only way for it to work. I drove to the dealer, got it looked at and they told me that the sensor is on the side of the door handle not the outside. It was a little more responsive at the dealer, even then I noticed a larger delay and I tried to tell them just a light tap on the outside of the handle would do the trick. They set me up for an appointment tomorrow morning. What do you guys think? Thy said all they could do was "check for a code" but I definitely notice a difference. I don't care where the sensor is, one finger tap used to do the trick. This is a new Laredo. Thanks guys.

bigjgcfan 05-01-2012 11:28 PM

The simple answer is...

The 2012 owners manual says that you must "grab" the handle to unlock.

Yes, the sensor is located on the inside of the door handle & it can also lose sensitivity from rain or if the Passive Entry has not been used in the last 72 hours.

So while the 1 finger tap may have worked, it is technically not the correct procedure for a 2012 Passive Entry.

Also even if it's a new vehicle, if the Passive Entry is delayed or slow to respond, it cannot hurt to replace the RKE CR2032 battery as well.

SouthBayLA24WJ 05-02-2012 12:42 AM

Bigjgcfan, I hadn't used the vehicle since last Wednesday

bigjgcfan 05-02-2012 01:50 AM

SouthBayLA24WJ,

There you go then... There's your answer!

The owner's manual states that more than 3 days of non-use may cause the feature to 'time-out' and you will have to pull the handle to re-activate the Passive Entry system.

That was probably what happened here & explains your "little more responsive at the dealer" quote.

It does help to read the manual... Especially when the dealer can't properly diagnose & answer your questions! :thumbsup:

cloud11244 05-02-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjgcfan (Post 622857)
The simple answer is...

The 2012 owners manual says that you must "grab" the handle to unlock.

Yes, the sensor is located on the inside of the door handle & it can also lose sensitivity from rain or if the Passive Entry has not been used in the last 72 hours.

So while the 1 finger tap may have worked, it is technically not the correct procedure for a 2012 Passive Entry.

Also even if it's a new vehicle, if the Passive Entry is delayed or slow to respond, it cannot hurt to replace the RKE CR2032 battery as well.

I have a 2011 JGC and have had an intermittent problem opening the door by placing my hand inside the handle. I did some testing as to when this occurs, and, sure enough, it happens after the Jeep has been dormant for 3 or more days! I read the manual when I first got the Jeep but must have missed this three-day thing. I thought there was something wrong with the system and have had it at the dealer twice for it. They have not been able to fix it and have not mentioned the 3-day thing. So you are saying it is a designed so that it loses sensitivity after three days and will not be able to be fixed, except by maybe replacing the battery in the RKE? When it does happen, I am still able to unlock the door by using the remote instead of placing my hand on the handle.

Tybalt39 05-02-2012 11:04 AM

It's probably a power-saving thing: If the entry system has been inactive for 3 days, shut down power to the (hand-capacitance) sensor and wait for the handle to engage a secondary passive (mechanical) sensor. Then, reactivate the active sensor (until a non-use period of 3 days passes again). Wash, rinse, repeat....

The primary sensor is probably like the touch-dimmer sensors in your home; requires power to keep it active.

ColdCase 05-02-2012 12:16 PM

My 2011 was never sensitive enough to unlock by tapping on the outside of the handle. I always have to touch what feels like a strip on the inside of the handle. In the rain sometimes twice. My spouse says its because I'm so dense. She has not clarified if the signal can't get from my pocket to the door or its something else :)

the1jake 05-02-2012 12:59 PM

battery replacement in the key fob?

It's just a CR2032. I always keep a spare in the vehicle since I've been through two already.

ColoradoJeep 05-02-2012 04:04 PM

I have found on my 2012 GCL that with anything else "metal" in my right pocket, or my cell phone, along with the key fob, that they unlock feature is sluggish.

Tested this by moving the phone or other keys to my left pocket and the auto unlock worked flawlessly.

LogicNow 05-02-2012 07:27 PM

Change out your battery in the FOB. I noticed after about 6 months sluggish entry and started getting "FOB errors", rarely, but randomly when turning the Jeep off. New battery and all disappeared for about 8 months and are just starting up now.