Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   ambient light kit question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/ambient-light-kit-question-41550.html)

scooter 05-01-2012 11:44 PM

ambient light kit question

I have just purchased a 2012 jeep grand cherokee overland. I am interested in purchasing and having installed the ambient light kit for the front and rear footwell areas. what type of lighting will this be inside , and what type of control will I have. does it have the ability to dim to a subtle white light? There is already foot well lighting when you open the doors of the car. is it possible to switch these on independently and control the brightness without the overhead light?

JTS97Z28 05-02-2012 05:22 PM

Re: ambient light kit question

Im starting to get interested in this kit because I do like the extra ambient lighting in the footwells. My previous car 2007 Acura TL Type S has OEM footwell lighting and it looked very nice at night. Very subtle, but yet you can tell it was there.

I noticed there are a few kits on ebay and each one lists a specific vehicle, but they all have the same part number. Can I just buy anyone of them or is there a certain one that I need to get for the Grand Cherokee? Wheres the cheapest place to get this kit? I see one on ebay for $245, but its listed for a Fiat 500, but is the correct part number.

Thanks,
James

rubicontrail.net 05-02-2012 08:45 PM

Didnt ambient lighting come standard on the Overland? Or is that only on the Summit?

JTS97Z28 05-02-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 623428)
Didnt ambient lighting come standard on the Overland? Or is that only on the Summit?

The Summit package does not add any additional lighting or anything like that. All Overlands have the door handle pockets, lower door compartments, and overhead console ambient lights. This Mopar kit adds footwell ambient lighting to your vehicle.

fundguy 05-02-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 623428)

Its not on my summit. :(

Snipe315 05-03-2012 12:45 AM

Tha ambient lighting kit was orginally planned to be an option for Overland & Summit vehicles but later dropped as an optional feature.

I believe you can still buy the kit from Mopar.

Jmarcher 05-05-2012 11:33 PM

So the kit is mildly expensive, but I'm more curious how expensive the install would be. The install itself seems pretty in-depth, but this mod is definitely on my list. :thumbsup:

Hollywood 05-06-2012 09:40 AM

The Overland does come with lighting in the doors and cup holders, but NOT the footwells. I'm definitely considering this as well. A couple Questions:

1.) I realize that the rotary knob is to change the "Color" of the lights. Is that the only "switch" included in the kit?

2.) Does the "intensity/brightness" of the light kit work off the OEM interior light "dimmer"?

3.) If I were going to set the "color" of the lights to match the OEM lights in the doors and cup holders of my Overland, and NEVER CHANGE THEM, is it necessary for me to even install the rotary knob where I can access it?

JTS97Z28 05-06-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmarcher (Post 625331)
So the kit is mildly expensive, but I'm more curious how expensive the install would be. The install itself seems pretty in-depth, but this mod is definitely on my list. :thumbsup:

Do it yourself. I personally wouldn't let anyone touch my car if I can avoid it. Chances are someone else will screw something up while taking things apart in your car. Plus doing mods is fun :-)

final 05-09-2012 08:46 PM

I have actually looked on ebay and there are a few GM kits for less than $100 - how hard can it be to find a hot wire and put a LED light in the footwell. - The Mopar kit seems pretty invasive

Oz_diesel 05-10-2012 12:01 AM

Sounds like a good option but there have been issues with the CANBUS accepting something foreign.
Some members have converted external lights to LED and had issues with the function there after.

Jeep_addicted 05-10-2012 12:30 PM

Some on this forum already had it installed in their car and they had answered many questions that members here asked.

The description of a rotary knob is not accurate, It is actually a button of some sort.

I am temped to take on the project of installing this kit but I think I would be tempted to hide the lights under the dash so it does not look so tacked on.