Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Should I buy another WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/should-i-buy-another-wk2-41569.html)

bromhead 05-02-2012 11:41 AM

Should I buy another WK2?
 
So, I am in the process of having my vehicle bought back by Chrysler and I am seriously questioning whether to go back to Jeep. My main concern has to do with service and support and I am curious as to everyone else's experience.

At almost every level, I was disappointment. I had 4 main failures (ELSD, Rear Hatch Motor, stereo and QL). The time to fix the vehicle, order the part was approximately 3,5,14 and 4+ weeks. It appears that my last issue, which required my vehicle to be at the dealer for over 30 straight days has only recently been resolved (i have not picked the vehicle up), but at this point, I am in the buyback process with Chrysler. Btw, my vehicle has less than 6k miles on it. My first problem, ELSD, happened at @ mile 500.

I don't think the wk2 is a poorly made vehicle. I am very fond of it. What i was not impressed with was the support network. I really don't know where the blame lies, be it with my local dealer, or corporate. My dealer could never fix the vehicle quickly and frequently took several attempts to solve the problem, was constantly waiting for weeks for parts, and in the case of the QL, support from corporate to diagnose the error. Constant claims were made that corporate didn't return their calls, sent the wrong part, didn't show up when asked to help diagnose problems, etc...With the end result being that my vehicle was out on non scheduled service for @40 days prior to its first scheduled service...not the new car experience one looks for.

So, net net, (sorry I am going on), even if I received another new vehicle, I am not sure that would allay any fears. While my problems are related to the vehicle, I think the majority of my dissatisfaction was with Service. While many of the problems are easy to rationalize, I am left with the distinct impression that QL is not ready for prime time, or at least their support network isn't ready to support this option.

Any opinions, shared observations?

SMG1 05-02-2012 12:19 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
I can appreciate your conundrum, as the '11 Limited I traded-in a couple of months ago was an early-build borderline lemon that had just about every problem that Jeep ever issued a TSB for. Around this time last year, I swore up and down that I would never buy another Jeep. So what did I do in March '12? I bought another WK2 of course. The things that brought me back were the same things that drew me in the first time:

Value/Features - name another $45k SUV with all of the same features. And that's not counting the discounts and incentives that put many of us at lower out-the-door prices than what most people are paying for loaded Pilots and 4Runners. And have you seen the inside of the Pilot and 4Runner?

4WD - the WK2 and the 4Runner are the last of the Mohicans as far as mid-size 4WD SUVs. And have you seen the inside of the 4Runner?

Size - big enough for my family of four, but not big enough to offer a 3rd row. That's a plus for me, as I have no interest in being the designated driver for all large group outings. Let the minivan drivers take on that responsibility.

If Quadra-Lift was a major issue with the last one, consider getting a Limited with Lux and 20s. I went that route because you can't argue with the simplicity of steel springs, it saves a little weight and I've just always been paranoid about air suspensions. But with that being said, I'm sure the majority of QL-equipped WK2s have probably never had any issues (although that's not saying much since at most the oldest ones aren't even two years-old yet). Also, it sounds like your Jeep experience will improve tremendously once you switch dealers.

mtnjeep 05-02-2012 12:20 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
Not sure what I would do - your experience is utterly frustrating and I couldn't blame you for going to another mfg. I have 3K on my 5.7 Overland and so far no problems. Things can happen with any vehicle make but what is more disturbing as you point out is the corporate and dealer finger pointing, unable to get parts, calls returned, car in the shop, etc. To me that is always endemic of a bigger problem and that is that no one, middle manager, upper management, etc. can take responsibility and say hey, this customer has a huge problem and I'm going to fix it today. Get his vehicle back to the factory now (so we can analyze it) and a new replacement to him today.

This lack of empowerment from top management is sorely lacking in many aspects of corporate America. It doesn't have to be that way and the "best of breed" in any arena have figured this out. I hold my breath any time I need a decision from a corporation cause you never know which "school of business" they trained in. Far too many are afraid to give their employees, managers, dealers the responsibility and trust to make meaningful decisions on the spot for a customer and then stand behind them. I hope you can get this resolved soon. Sorry you are having this issue with a new vehicle.

the1jake 05-02-2012 12:39 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
The availability of replacement parts is a pain in the ass. I had to wait nearly six weeks for a relay switch for my QL system last year. Fortunately, it didn't affect the performance and I only had to deal with a nagging warning light every so often. I can imagine I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't able to drive it for that time.

I had no problem with the dealer that I bought it from (and when they serviced it) or my new dealer (we moved and this one is literally right around the corner). They're in the same boat and have to wait. As far as accessories, of course, those arrived in several days, but critical parts? An entirely different story.

/and I can't wait until the new 2014s arrive. You bet I'm going to buy another WK2.

bromhead 05-02-2012 12:56 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
Thanks for the input.
I agree about the value, nothing beats the wk2 if you want a true 4x4 with a bit of luxury. I am Land Rover guy (while my car has been out for 30 days, i have been driving my Discovery that I have had for 14 years) and love the LR4, what I didn't like was the 10k price difference for a similar vehicle. But, I am not sure there are really any other choices out there.
All cars have flaws, god knows my experience with Land Rover has shown that! But how you handle your mistakes is what matters. My latest experience has really gutted me...no loaner, rental capped at 5 days, car out for 30+, and, for the most part, at least a 2.5 week gap where absolutely no action was taken, while my dealer and corporate pointed fingers. Pretty unacceptable. As to steel springs, if you want ELSD nowdays, are you not locked into QL?

jp467 05-02-2012 12:56 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bromhead (Post 623085)
So, I am in the process of having my vehicle bought back by Chrysler and I am seriously questioning whether to go back to Jeep. My main concern has to do with service and support and I am curious as to everyone else's experience.

At almost every level, I was disappointment. I had 4 main failures (ELSD, Rear Hatch Motor, stereo and QL). The time to fix the vehicle, order the part was approximately 3,5,14 and 4+ weeks. It appears that my last issue, which required my vehicle to be at the dealer for over 30 straight days has only recently been resolved (i have not picked the vehicle up), but at this point, I am in the buyback process with Chrysler. Btw, my vehicle has less than 6k miles on it. My first problem, ELSD, happened at @ mile 500.

I don't think the wk2 is a poorly made vehicle. I am very fond of it. What i was not impressed with was the support network. I really don't know where the blame lies, be it with my local dealer, or corporate. My dealer could never fix the vehicle quickly and frequently took several attempts to solve the problem, was constantly waiting for weeks for parts, and in the case of the QL, support from corporate to diagnose the error. Constant claims were made that corporate didn't return their calls, sent the wrong part, didn't show up when asked to help diagnose problems, etc...With the end result being that my vehicle was out on non scheduled service for @40 days prior to its first scheduled service...not the new car experience one looks for.

So, net net, (sorry I am going on), even if I received another new vehicle, I am not sure that would allay any fears. While my problems are related to the vehicle, I think the majority of my dissatisfaction was with Service. While many of the problems are easy to rationalize, I am left with the distinct impression that QL is not ready for prime time, or at least their support network isn't ready to support this option.

Any opinions, shared observations?


When you say your in the process of a buyback, does this mean that they already agreed to it? I just ask becase from what I understand part of the agreement usually is that you buy another Chrysler product. With that said I think it is really up to you. There have been alot of people that have had no problems with QL but it seems if you do have problems it can be a real nightmare. You always get one without the air suspension.

bromhead 05-02-2012 01:18 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
the buyback is not conditional on buying another Chrysler, although they might waive a nice rebate around once it gets close to being finalized. this is new ground for me, but i believe that's how it works.

Jdsmitty10 05-02-2012 01:31 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
I would never buy the same vehicle that was bought back by the manufacturer due to problems... I would be too afraid to have the same issues... it would be tough to buy something else other than the wk2 tho hahah...

MikeD 05-02-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
I would and have bought something else, I was sick of all the rattles, groans, surges and overall bad build quality of my WK2 Overland. Add the bad dealer experience that was great when I owned my Jeep SRT8, mainly because it only went in for oil changes as it was reliable, unlike my Overland. I still like the WK2 but am happy to be rid of mine after 10 months of issues and while I took a huge loss in trade in it was worth it to me.

jgc4ever 05-02-2012 03:00 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
If that happened to me I'd get a V6 Cayenne 8 speed triptronic with heated seats, heated steering wheel with radio controls, auto dim mirrors, HIDs and no other options.

SMG1 05-02-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 623206)
I would and have bought something else, I was sick of all the rattles, groans, surges and overall bad build quality of my WK2 Overland. Add the bad dealer experience that was great when I owned my Jeep SRT8, mainly because it only went in for oil changes as it was reliable, unlike my Overland. I still like the WK2 but am happy to be rid of mine after 10 months of issues and while I took a huge loss in trade in it was worth it to me.

Did you replace it with the M3 in your signature, or something else?

MikeD 05-02-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Should I buy another WK2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SMG1 (Post 623259)
Did you replace it with the M3 in your signature, or something else?

I ordered a 2012 Raptor SuperCrew back in November and picked it up on 2/15/12, still have the M3 for the wife.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community