Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Random Question, i hope someone can answer... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/random-question-i-hope-someone-can-answer-41592.html)

gokart508 05-02-2012 07:51 PM

Random Question, i hope someone can answer...

I used to have a parking decal on my back window. I didn't need it anymore and took it off with goo gone. All came out well, except when it rains i can see the outline of the decal which it very annoying. There is no visible adhesive left, what can i do?

sined240 05-02-2012 07:56 PM

Re: Random Question, i hope someone can answer...

Lightly rub the area down with a scratch remover or a automotive compound, then put a coat of sealant or wax over the area. It's just that the area has a different surface energy (wettability) due to the adhesives and you want to change that...

Brewster 05-02-2012 08:02 PM

Use a claybar, they work wonders. Awesome for paint prep when detailing as well. They make clay specifically for glass (Griot's Garage I know does) but I have used the same one for paint on my glass.

RageOfFury 05-02-2012 08:02 PM

Clay bar that area, might as well do the whole vehicle while your at it to remove contaminants that are stuck to the paint. Once that's done, put a coat of sealer on the whole vehicle. Then put a coat of wax. Sit back and enjoy the shininess!

Jdsmitty10 05-02-2012 08:13 PM

Rain x

jp467 05-02-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokart508 (Post 623370)
I used to have a parking decal on my back window. I didn't need it anymore and took it off with goo gone. All came out well, except when it rains i can see the outline of the decal which it very annoying. There is no visible adhesive left, what can i do?

You can call the dealer or even a local glass shop and get a price on replacing the back window. This would probably not be the cheapest route but it would take care of the problem for sure.

walterhudson 05-03-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 623518)
You can call the dealer or even a local glass shop and get a price on replacing the back window. This would probably not be the cheapest route but it would take care of the problem for sure.

Why not just replace the vehicle?

Jdsmitty10 05-03-2012 04:58 AM

Replace the glass? Seriously??!??

Aren't we just talking about an area that repels water differently here? Say like if you miss a spot waxing it will look different when it rains cause it won't bead up... Take some rain x to the entire window and it will repel water the same and voila... No more "spot" when it's wet

gokart508 05-03-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 623381)
Clay bar that area, might as well do the whole vehicle while your at it to remove contaminants that are stuck to the paint. Once that's done, put a coat of sealer on the whole vehicle. Then put a coat of wax. Sit back and enjoy the shininess!

Any particular brands you recommend? Im not happy with what I'm using now. And a coat of rain x when I'm done is not a bad idea.

Swampy 05-03-2012 06:30 AM

Eucalyptus oil will removed any sticky residue. Just dab a little on a piece of cotton wool, lightly rub on glass, residue will be gone in seconds.

armoredsaint 05-03-2012 07:43 AM

after what said is done, apply aquapel to all your windows :thumbsup:

Aiyer 05-03-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokart508 (Post 623605)
Any particular brands you recommend? Im not happy with what I'm using now. And a coat of rain x when I'm done is not a bad idea.

I use products from Griot's Garage. I have all their polish 1,2, and 3, plus Best of Show wax, clay bars and paint sealant, etc. I also have the Porter Cable random orbital. Best therapy when I work on my cars... :)

I would definitely recommend their products. I also have used P21S and their Carnuba wax... and still use it occasionally.