Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Driving on a cloud (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/driving-on-a-cloud-41598.html)

rustyosaurus 05-02-2012 08:53 PM

Driving on a cloud

When I got my Overland in January, it actually felt like I was driving on a cloud. I glided over every bump and patch of uneven road. I actually referred to it as being hugged in a warm embrace.

I don't really feel that way anymore when I drive, but it's only been 3 months and 1500 miles. Am I just used to the amazing air suspension that I don't notice it or has it sort of gone away?

Anyone else noticed this? My QL works fine otherwise.

jp467 05-02-2012 09:13 PM

Re: Driving on a cloud

Good question. I have had two Overlands now. When I got the first one I thought the same thing how soft the suspension was and how it soaked up every bump. Then about two weeks into it I found I had a bad compressor would not go to OR1 or OR2. After the repair I don't think the ride was as good. There were times I could feel every little crack in the road and it seemed to be affected by the temperature. So now I am in a new 2012 Overland with the 3.6 the first one was a Hemi. So far the ride is soft soaks up all the bumps with just over a thousand miles on it.

Dan JGC 05-02-2012 11:46 PM

I know this is obvious, but sometimes overlooked, have you checked your tire pressure???

SW03ES 05-03-2012 11:36 PM

I've always found driving nice riding luxury cars that you become accustomed to the ride over time and only realize how great it rides when you drive something lesser.

chibianh 05-04-2012 12:43 AM

I think you are used to it. My gf drives a 10 year old Ford Focus and I'm reminded of how nice the ride is in my Overland every time. :D

Eric67 05-04-2012 08:33 AM

I have the same feelings; looks like the ride is harder then in the beginning. Awaiting summer temperatures to see if the airsuspension softens up.
But then again; riding an other car and the JGC feels al lot better. Yes, could be one is getting used to the ride.

Charlienmr 05-04-2012 12:21 PM

I am used to good rides. My Jaguar XJ has air springs and the GC feels almost as smooth. OTOH my wifes BMW650 is harsh in comparison. In sport mode it is a very hard ride. The GC is such an amazing ride to me. Got 1000 miles on it and I haven't noticed any change.

JRNYC 05-04-2012 03:03 PM

My ride is deteriorating also, You may have an issue.

There are known issues with the air suspension.

Shock bushings, compressor, and even the nitrogen fill in the air suspension. If there is a leak the nitrogen will be less and give a harsher ride.

Needs to be checked with the proper gauge at a compitent dealer. There is a thread somewhere here with the actual numbers thatthe air suspension is suppose to have, Unfortunately some dealers do not even have the correct equipment to check this,,

Good Luck..

Eric67 05-05-2012 04:57 AM

Update; I figured out that the firmer ride started when switching to winter tires. Now the summer tires are back on, but the ride was still firmer. When changing tires the QL is blocked and the suspension is full out when on the bridge.
I have now used the QL parking mode a few times (also left it there overnight) and, when starting the car left it in parking mode, so it levels itself when driving away.
For now the "driving on a cloud " is back! !
I'll keep you guys informed if it stays that way.
Happy camper for know :D:D:D

Yadkin 05-05-2012 07:36 AM

I traded from an 07 Ford Expedition with rear air springs and the ride of the Jeep with QL is not as plush or quiet. But it handles curves much better. There has been no change in the ride quality after 7000 miles.

SW03ES 05-05-2012 11:19 PM

Thats a function of weight I think, your Expedition was larger and heavier which accounts for the better ride.

Yadkin 05-06-2012 09:58 AM

Definitely. I attribute the quietness of the Ford to the body-on-frame design as well as lots of little interior details, like felt pads on the seat belt casings where they contacted other materials. The Jeep is pretty good on that kind of thing, but could be even better.